Book 7: Act 1 - A Darkness in the Marshes

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
User Class: Wanderer

Day 7: The Brown Wizard Arrives

Post by shipwreck » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:53 pm

Rathar stretches out his long legs and listens intently. He makes an attempt at lighting his little makeshift pipe and, upon the third failure, sets it aside. The mention of Haycombe forces him to take a deep breath. It was not a pleasant experience and he had no wish to remember it. At the name of Hartfast he nods and chimes in. "The folk of the mountain are strange, but they are still my people. I have wished to visit that house for many a year."

Rathar looks at Finnulf, who seems to speak the Wood-goers very thoughts. "Yes, Radagast, will you not come with us?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:38 pm

The Brown Wizard is silent a moment, "I must return to Rhosgobel, then I need to see King Thranduil. I have spent much time already gathering and collecting what rumors I could. The spiders are so stirred up now that I fear a bit for those trying to settle near the Black Tarn. I have spent as much time as possible along the Anduin, but my little messengers will gather at Rhosgobel and I need to hear more from them." He shakes his head, " If I could I would go with you, but I don't need to go with you to aid you, I can send you along with my blessing, a boon for you on your trip. I would be wary if I were you, what little I have discovered suggests the lands west of the Great River are also very dangerous, more so now than before, the hall is likely the only safe haven in that area for many leagues."

He signs, "If I could be in more places than one I would be." He seems a big frantic, unlike him, wandering west and east and going all about the region like some brown wanderer running low on time.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:58 pm

Vaurthil says slowly, "There is Mogdred, the unpleasant fellow who showed up to the Woodmen's folkmoot. He seems little more than a bandit lord who has done well, but perhaps he is more than he appears. I suppose we will see."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:38 pm

Borir nods along with the conversation. The dwarf is eager to stand against orcs or any other foul creatures. A new adventure brings a bit of light to his heart as he sits, drinks, and eats at the table.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:04 pm

"West of the river?" asks Finn. "Strange. Do you think this is connected to Dreymis?" he says to Hild, who quickly shakes her head.

"I don't think it's Mogdred; if that man is an agent of the enemy perhaps he and the spiders are connected. He may not be a good man, but neither would I say he is so evil as to be in league with the enemy. Whatever is stirring is west of the river, and not around the Woodmen. No, Radagast is speaking of this evil spirit, whom we saw coming against Irime."

He turns back to the Wizard. "Well, if you say the folk of Mountain Hall will know more, I will go there. It is all beyond me, but I am again at your service."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:27 pm

"Finnwulf is right, I don't think Mogdred is caught up in this trouble West of the River, perhaps with the spiders... damn that would be bad if he was. I had not considered that, all the more reason I should return to Woodman Town and see what I can find out. My little birds can only do so much, bring so much word, I need people to speak to people." He stands up and pushes his stool out, "I have waited and tarried here too long! Too long. Good luck, bring word to me when you can, but I trust you to put right and troubles you find, don't come asking for advise, I trust your judgement and your skills." He takes up his hat from the nearby table and screws it on tightly to his old head.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:47 pm

"It is an honor to aid you," says Varuthil as Radagast leaves. Once he has gone, she looks at the others and says, "It seems we should make sure we have the supplies we need and be on our way as quickly as possible."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:26 pm

Finn agrees with Varuthil that they should be off soon. "Perhaps in the morning?" he seems to direct his question at Gelvira, for he wouldn't want to be ungrateful for her hospitality by leaving too quickly.

shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
User Class: Wanderer

Post by shipwreck » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:04 pm

Rathar agrees and hesitates. "Morning."

When the moment presents itself, he slips in a quiet word with the Wizard. "Please, do all you can to aid the Black Tarn folk. I do not wish to see any harm come to Amaleoda...or her people."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:34 pm

Radagast puts his hat on, as if to leave, but Finn mentions the morning for your own company and he nods. "Yes yes, the morning, no sense bumbling about in the dark." He takes his hat back off, "Oh worry not Rathar, I will see what is happening there. We can't go and have them settle down only to be caught up in some web before they even get roots down." He sighs, "I am pulled in too many directions, and even the strongest rope will break if pulled enough. I should think you'll need some help as well, something tells me there is a trouble in these lands more than just bandits and merchant thieves. I can sense it in the water, and see it in the eyes of the beasts and birds."