Book 7: Act 1 - A Darkness in the Marshes

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Assassins: Round Three

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu May 16, 2019 3:28 pm

Finn stands over Glirion, protecting the elf with his shield and sword, looking for an opportunity to strike Ghor when he can.
Sword 3, attack Ghor. Defensive, defend Glirion. Spend Hope to take any attack (from Ghor or archers).

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu May 16, 2019 5:08 pm

Varuthil turns and aims her bow at the goblin archer, loosing an arrow at it.
Stance: Rearward
Action: Attack with bow vs. goblin archer
Don't spend Hope--I have little enough left, I think I should hoard it.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Thu May 16, 2019 5:45 pm

Gerwald watches Glirion fall to the ground and throws himself at Ghor with a renewed furry.
Forward, called shot Savage Blow. Spend hope if necessary. If someone wants to lend me a bonus die, I'd take it.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu May 16, 2019 6:29 pm

I didn't use mine, he can have it.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Thu May 16, 2019 11:46 pm

Red fills Glirion's vision as the orc's scimitar cuts deeply. There are no illusions about what may come next. Staggering up, Glirion staggers back into the protection of his comrades, hoping to finish off the orc before he is ended.
Let's switch to Rearward and maybe back up if I can. Otherwise, I'll try a pitiful stab at the orc.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Sun May 19, 2019 6:55 pm

Borir is surprised by the arrow in his shield and brings back his axe to strike the orc when he sees Glirion struck. He moves to put himself and his shield in position to provide some cover for those beside and behind him and then strikes the orc with his axe.
stance open
atk orc

(the moving is just color, there's no game play rules that I can find for shielding others)

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Sun May 19, 2019 7:40 pm

actually from defensive position you can spend a point of hope if the companion you're defending gets attacked, to take the hit. If the tn to hit you is higher, the hit will even miss.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Sun May 19, 2019 8:29 pm

@Blubbo_Baggins Thanks, I just saw the Finn is taking that action, so I'll keep that in mind for future

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon May 20, 2019 2:59 pm

Hah, forgot I took that action for him!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Ghor the Despoiler is Despoiled

Post by Vardaen » Tue May 21, 2019 4:44 pm

Varuthil turns her attention to the archer on the roof. She draws back and looses her arrow. The shot is perfect of course. It strikes the snaga in the eye socket and pierces into its brain sending it falling off the roof into the darkness out of sight.

Finn and Gerwald stay focused on the large black uruk Ghor. Finn stands over Glirion, straddling him, and slices with his blade into the orc's shoulder. Snarling, it howls as it is driven down to his knees. Spitting blood blood it mocks Finn, " It doesn't matter if you kill me. We've already become too strong to stop. The Master has risen again!" Then to punctuate his last words Gerwald slams his great spear through the chest of The Despoiler and ends his wretched life!

The others, Borir and Glirion, take in the scene, the battle is over, and you have won.
Round 3
Finn: Defensive: Defend Glirion: Attack: Rolled: GANDALF Success Die: 3,4,2 Totaling: 9 with 1 Auto Success = Hit for 5 + Piercing Blow [Protection Test: 23t Success]
Varuthil: Rearward vs Archer: Rolled: GANDALF Success Die: 6t,3,4 Totaling: 13 with 1 success with 1 Auto Success Hit for 13 = DEAD
Gerwarld: Forward: Savage Blow: Rolled: Feat Die: 6*Success Die: 1,3,5 Totaling: 15 = Hit for 9 = DEAD
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring