Book 8: Act 1 - The Troubles of Men

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

A Long and Weary Way

Post by Muskrat » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:05 pm

Varuthil says, "Let me see if the stones will tell me anything." She approaches the ruin of the arch, keeping a wary eye on the gore crows, and places her hand on the ruins. She hums to the stones as she strokes them, then leans close putting her ear to the stones. She is asking the stones about any wayfarers who have passed through or camping among the ruins.
The Speakers: Insight 3 or Song 3

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

A Long and Weary Way

Post by Wbweather » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:36 pm

While Varuthil speaks with her rocks, Gerwald scours the ground looking for any signs of someone passing through the area. He focuses on the edge of the water and especially looks for tracks leading to it. It would certainly make an excellent place to dispose of some unwanted dwarves.
Hunting 3 if appropriate, or elsewise, Search 2

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

A Long and Weary Way

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:04 am

"Well," says Finn, looking at Hild. "This is indeed a strange an ominous place. I hope the Dwarves did not go this way, and yet I do not like the thought that they could be still deeper in the marshes."

He follows Gerwald, looking for signs of the Dwarves passage in the mud surrounding the ruin.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

A Long and Weary Way

Post by Othniel » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:30 am

"Do we continue on the trail, should we find it, or go back to our own purpose?" Glirion asks the others. "Ours is a pressing need."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

A Long and Weary Way

Post by Muskrat » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:18 pm

Varuthil frowns. "You are right." She looks at the ruins. "I fear if we find nothing here, we should continue with our original plan."

Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

A Long and Weary Way

Post by Graven » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:43 pm

Heva looks at her new companions, "If we find no clear sign, it seems we must assume the dwarves lost, though I'd wish it were not so." She continues looking for dropped gear, or broken metal, anything to indicate that the dwarves, or any good folk, have been through here.
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

A Ringing Bell

Post by Vardaen » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:17 pm

The search begins.

Varuthil runs her hands over the stones and gains a far away look.

The rest of you search the edges of the pool and the various ruins. As you are doing so the soft ringing of a bell begins. It is slow and far away: it seems distant and remote as if coming from under ground.

Finn, Hild and Heva, Men of these parts, turn their ears to the soft ringing of the bell and slowly begin to move toward the center of the deep dark pool stepping with purposeful feet into the icy waters.
Widsom Tests TN 14

Finn:
Rolled:
Feat Die: 2*
Success Die: 6t,2,1,2
Totaling: 13 with 1 success = FAIL (Hope?)

Gerwald
Rolled:
Feat Die: 10*
Success Die: (3),4,6t
Totaling: 20 with 1 success = Success

Giliron
Rolled:
GANDALF
Success Die: 2,5,4
Totaling: 11
with 1 Auto Success = Gandalf Success

Heva
Rolled:
Feat Die: 2*
Success Die: 6t,4
Totaling: 12 with 1 success = Fail (Hope?)

Rolled:
SAURON
Success Die: 3,6t,4,2
Totaling: 15 with 1 success = Success +1 Eye Awareness

FYI Varuthil's Stone Speak also raised Eye Awareness (in PM)
Location-MarshRuins.jpg
Location-MarshRuins.jpg (127.76 KiB) Viewed 788 times
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

A Ringing Bell

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:47 pm

As Finn begins to feel pulled into a trance, his feet move without his own volition directly toward the water.
Within a moment Gerwald has put his hand firmly on Finn's shoulder, and Finn awakes as out of a dream.
Spend Hope
He notices the hand on his shoulder and that he now stands several paces from where he had been . . . but the dream itself and the ringing of the bell have dissipated into the meres and shadows behind the ruins before them.

For a moment he is confused, and then he sees that Heva and Hild are continuing to move toward the pool.

"Hild! Hild!" he cries out, but the woman does not hear him. Within moments her purposeful steps have taken her into the dark pool, and she disappears.

"I'm going in after her!" he says; he looks to the others for a momentary pause.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

A Ringing Bell

Post by Othniel » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:31 am

"Stop Hild; I shall endeavor to stop Heva," Glirion answers, moving swiftly in an attempt to stop the woman from going deeper into the pool. "Heva, stop. Do not follow this bewitchment!" he says, trying to gently but firmly catch hold of the woman's arm.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

A Ringing Bell

Post by Wbweather » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:10 am

Gerwald sees the effect of the enchantment on some of his companions. He had for the briefest of moments felt the urge to sink into the lake himself, but that shadow passed instantly. He manages to stop Finn with just a hand on his shoulder, but the others continue into the dark water. As he sees them submerge themselves, he prepared to dive in after them and drag them by force out of the depths.