Book 8: Act 1 - The Troubles of Men

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Re: Book 8: Act 1 - The Troubles of Men

Post by Wbweather » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:17 pm

"I suppose I never gave it much thought", Gerwald answers Finn. "But if pressed for an answer, I have seen much more of the world than I ever did imagine I would. I don't think my father ever traveled more than 20 miles from the place he was born. I wonder though, with the dragon dead, if men might move back into these lands. Perhaps in time, these lands could be tamed. This river might be dredged and a viable waterway established. It won't happen in our lifetimes, but maybe one day our elven friends will see this come to pass."

He looks around one more time. "I wonder what did happen to these dwarves."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:44 pm

Pondering Gerwald's imagining, "Ah yes, a viable waterway would be amazing; it would transform these lands and bring many settlements along the Forest, just as there are in the Vale. Dwarves could probably do it even in our lifetimes. Speaking of which, did Glirion find any signs of them?" asks Finn.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:25 pm

Varuthil says, "I think the only thing he could be certain of was that whoever camped were not orcs." She shrugs. "That's good enough for me."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Beside the Rotting River: April 6th - 7th

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:48 pm

There are no other signs of the dwarves that you can find here. You wonder thou if they stayed very long at all here. Regardless, you camp and set watches and other than a great many annoying bugs, and one curious water snake, you encounter no troubles over night. You make ready in the morning, and continue on your venture.

Another day and more paddling in the boats, you are nearing to the place where the Old Dwarf Road comes out here to meet the Long Marshes. Your boatsmen keep you safe and on course and you find one more decent enough place to make camp, but there is no sign of the elves following, or of their missing dwarves. You set camp and your watches, settle in for the night.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:02 pm

As they set out camp Finn helps find dry wood for a fire.

"I have heard about this place, and wondered whether it might help with a trade route. Once upon a time there was a small town here of the Men of Rhovanion, and Dwarves. It sprang up due to the traffic on the Old Dwarf Road; a waystation for those on their way to and from the Iron Hills. I wonder if it can someday be revived; I am sure Bofri the Dwarf would be happy to support it, as it would only help his cause to restore the Road.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:35 am

"That sounds like worthy cause. More travelers and a waystation would certainly make the area somewhat safer."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:50 pm

"That is true," says Varuthil as she helps make camp. "Perhaps the dwarves who came through here earlier had something similar in mind."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:39 pm

"Well, if they did pass through here, they are here no longer. Where was this town? Is there any chance we might find some shelter there for the night?" Gerwald looks hopefully at Finn. "A ruin? A cave? Someplace elevated and dry?"

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:28 pm

Where exactly was this town, V? Are we standing on the area or is it close by? Just wondering what signs there were of the town, if not old ruins or something.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:39 pm

Finn looks about, at best guess from what he knows you are near enough. The rotting river is still moving here, so the buildings and ruins of the town would not be right here. Perhaps in the morning if you took time searching the marsh and fens about here, some south, further away from the "river" you might find this ancient lost town. For tonight however you are happy to have found dry firewood as a tree fell and wedged itself against another before falling into the swamp.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring