Book 8: Act 1 - The Troubles of Men

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Book 8: Act 1 - The Troubles of Men

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:38 pm

"I know of them," says Finn, "But have not met them." He looks at Varuthil and Glirion and wonders if they have met the famous Dwarves. He figures that Gerwald has likely not met them, though even there he could be mistaken.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:15 pm

Varuthil shakes her head. "I have not met them. Have the dwarves begun using this river frequently? That would be unusual." She tries to keep her voice neutral on the topic--not hard, since she uses the same dead, cold tone she always does. Relations had improved between the elves of Mirkwood and the dwarves, but there was still bad blood there as well and she was not sure where Galion stood.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:55 pm

"They have not been using it lately as in often. I ask because those dwarves..." you can hear the disdain in his voice for the dwarves who once escaped his watch, "...those dwarves came through here just a head of you, but we lost track of them (again)." There is no love for the dwarves in the butler's words, but you can sense something else, concern maybe?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:37 pm

"Do you have any clues as to why they were passing through here?" asks Varuthil. Given his seeming hostility to the dwarves, she wasn't sure she trusted his judgment, but she was still curious.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:07 pm

"Well," says Finn, "Our road takes us further south, through the Long Marshes. If we see their tracks, we will follow them a mile or two, to ensure they have made their way safely. We will keep an eye out."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:08 am

"I am not familiar with them, though I am familiar with their involvement in the end of the dragon some years ago," Glirion answers. "As my companions have said, we can keep an eye out in case we find them in need."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:25 pm

Galion shakes his head, "No, I don't know what they were doing around here, nothing good I'm sure. Stirring up trouble no doubt." The elf considers all the replies from the group, "Keep and eye out yes, I suppose that is fine, they are no matter to me or you. You are going further south you say? Where to, and will you be back?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:12 pm

Gerwald has head of the dwarves, but has never met them personally. He agrees to look for them, but honestly, he does not feel compelled to assist this elf who seems less concerned about the dwarves well being than the fact that they passed trough his land and it seems eluded him.

"We head to the East Bight, and will return if and when our need drives us north again."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:14 pm

Galion nods to Gerwald, "Good, then be on your way. Mind your manners in these lands, they are under the authority of King Thranduil of Mirkwood. Perhaps we shall see one another on your return trip." He looks at Varuthil now, "As long as you travel with them I worry not Varuthil. Yet men alone in these lands can do much damage, both to the body and to the heart of the forest."

Galion motions at his elves and they slip back into the forest darkness. He himself is last to retreat but even as you continue on your way you know they are watching you still from some unseen perch.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:53 pm

"Well, they were grumpy," says Finn. Hild laughs but says nothing.

Finn continues, "I am glad he is not the steward of the Elvenking's trees, else they'd never trade with us. I can't believe what he said 'men can do much damage' . . . Men can also kill dragons, which as far as I remember, do a whole lot more damage to the body and heart of the land than men!"

"That old Nerulf was far more helpful to us than he, who merely wanted to show off that they were sneaking and watching us, then scold us like an old hen."