Book 8: Act 1 - The Troubles of Men

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:12 pm

Glirion is silent through Varuthil's explanation, though he remains attentive. When at last the other elf finishes, Glirion sits back with a sigh. "That an Evil out of the Elder Days has turned up to trouble our times fills me with dismay, but at least we must needs only deal with a lesser servant of the greater master. That, I think, is cause for hope, though the might of the Elves and the courage of Men is...not what it once was, I fear.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:30 pm

"These are dark tidings indeed. To think that such an evil thing could come to light from legends long ago chills my marrow. I fear what enemy this must be we are facing, and yet, I fear more what evil might be unleashed on the world if none do anything to stop him. Lesser servant though he be, still I hope we have the strength to oppose him."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:08 pm

"Yes, we need courage," says Varuthil in a cold, business-like voice, "but we also need intelligence on our enemies and a strategy, but we have neither now. Does anyone have any other ideas than traveling to see if Beorn or Radagast have heard useful rumors? If they know nothing, I suppose we could just comb Wilderland for rumors ourselves, but I fear that may take more time than we have." She taps her fingers on the table they are sitting at. "Or we could risk returning to the Dwimmerhorn and see if we can find any clues where our enemies have fled to, though I am not optimistic about that."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:06 pm

"I for one believe Radagast already knew the nature of the chain, and did not want to tell us yet, or needed to confirm it himself," replies Finn. "I highly doubt Beorn knows anything of it, nor any Men; it is of the Old World, and only the Elves and Wizards would know."

Finn offers more wine to those around the table, then continues, "Either way, I don't think there is more we can do about it yet, other than keep our eyes and ears open. Something else will come up, no doubt."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:41 am

"I agree. For now I think we must wait and watch for the signs of this Gibbet King to show himself again. Perhaps our discovery will force him into action sooner than he would have wished."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:51 pm

Varuthil looks at the other, incredulous. "You all wish to sit here and do nothing? Then I will go alone to speak with Beorn and Radagast. I was not suggesting Beorn knew anything of the Chain--but he might have heard rumors, both from men and beasts, about where the Gibbet King is now. And the ways of wizards are mysterious, but I am skeptical Radagast would withhold vital information from us. If you wish to wait here for someone to be attacked, so be it. I will set out on my own, so that I might have some hope of warning people before they are attacked." She seems as if she intent on doing this immediately, since she gets up from the table and begins packing her things.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:49 am

"Just a moment," Glirion raises a hand in attempt to stop Varuthil. "Let us not be overly hasty. I do not wish to do nothing, but let us make the best use of the resources we have. Radagast is friends with many birds and beasts. I suggest we let him direct those friends as scouts and spies to watch for the movements of our enemies. Beorn is not without resources and contacts as well. If you wish to warn someone, let us contact those who may be unaware of the danger. With Borir gone, we should find someone to bring news to the Dwarves of Erebor, if we ourselves do not undertake that task."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:06 pm

Varuthil stops, looks sharply at Glirion, then says, "Alright, as long as we are talking about doing something." She sets her bag down and sits back down with the others. After a moment's reflection, she says, "You are right--we should do what we can to get warnings out to as many of the free people as we can. At this point, I am not sure Beorn and Radagast know to be on the look out for something. I can try to get word on the wind or via birds to Radagast that he should seek us out--but I wouldn't be able to convey anything specific about the danger. My research has alerted King Thranduil's court to the danger, so we shouldn't need to warn them. We should make a plan about how to get word out elsewhere, but we can start right here in Laketown. Finn, your family seems wealthy enough that you would have the connections to get us a meeting with your mayor."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:53 pm

"The Master of the Town will be hard to convince of anything without proof; he might follow what Dale does in such matters. We would have a better shot at speaking with a representative of Bard, than to bring something like this to the Master. He will probably say it's far away and not his concern. After all, the chain WAS seen very far from here; and though you and I both know trouble in Anduin can easily mean trouble in the North, that's not how people around here see it."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:27 pm

"No, friend, I do not wish to do nothing, but where do we go? It will take us a month to get to Beorn, longer to Radagast. I do think that word should be sent to all the free peoples, Men, Elves and dwarves. We are in close reach of Dale, Erebor and the Woodland realm. I do fear for my people as Dol Guldur lies far from here and closer to the Woodmen and Beornings, and yet not all action accomplishes the intended result. Now may be a time for warnings so that there will be a greater response when the time to act arises." He looks at Varuthil, "Yet, if you have a plan of action that is reasonable, I will back you."