Book 8: Act 1 - The Troubles of Men

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:16 pm

Finn is sitting reading boring contracts for the Wyngard Woods company when a knock is heard at the door. His mother is busy working in the house elsewhere, and he is glad for an excuse to get away from the small print; quickly standing up he heads to the door, and opens it.

"Varuthil!" he says, reaching out to hug the Elf in spite of knowing it wasn't exactly her style. "Glirion," he adds, looking at the other Elf in greeting. "Welcome. Hild is out somewhere, so it is just me. So glad to see you both, please come in."

He introduces his mother, Gudrun, who welcomes the Elves without seeming concerned about such distinguished guests. She was one of the Laketown folk used to Elf visitors, due to her husband's business.

She shows Varuthil to a small room overlooking the Lake where Hild was staying, and Glirion to a larger one where Finn was staying, and presumably Gerwald would, as well. When they have made themselves comfortable, the Elves return to find a bottle of red wine sitting on the dining table along with bread and cheese.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:25 pm

"Quite! And while my people oppose evil as, no doubt, these fine Men of Lake-Town do, we are not exactly allies in the struggle. Still, that was more welcome than I expect in these days from the homes of Men."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:48 pm

Coming from the kitchen is a a familiar face, for Varuthil at least. Its Tom Lumpyface! The young man came from Bree, and for a time helped Finn as a page and porter, but he left the travels and worked for Dody at the Easterly Inn for a while. He left the Inn sometime ago and apparently has come to Lake-town and is working for Finn's family!

Tom is holding a tray with drink and cups on it, "Finn, did you want these now?" The young man smiles at all the visitors.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:42 pm

Varuthil goes stiff as a board when Finn hugs and does not try to hide the look of immense irritation on her face. When he lets her go, she says rather stiffly, "It is good to see you as well. I would appreciate it, however, if your greetings in the future were ... more restrained."

However, she greets Gudrun politely, if a bit distantly. When she comes down from her room, she says, "Ah, wine. A welcome change from all the beer we have on the road." She turns to Finn and Glirion and says, "I have learned much about the Chain of the Enemy from speaking with the elders of King Thranduil's realm--but I will wait to share it till all of us are gathered." Pensively, she says, "It will not feel the same without Borir's bluster though."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:15 pm

Finn chuckles, seeming to have missed Varuthil's discomfort or perhaps he was playing, it was hard to tell.

"Yes, I told my Mum to get a bottle out of Dad's not-so-secret stash. It's a Dorwinion vintage."

At Varuthil's mentioning of Borir, the corners of Finn's mouth briefly turn down. "When we are all gathered, we'll have a toast in his honor."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:00 pm

Sorry, I just now found this thread. I will get caught up ASAP.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:49 am

Gerwald had set out from the Easterly In with mixed emotions. He had enjoyed the company of the hobbits and in some ways it had helped to console the loss of Everard. Still though, he was ready to get back out into the open world and spend some time alone. The trip to Lake-town would give him time to think and be alone. He had taken the northern route around the forest through the Grey Mountain Narrows. He had of course heard tales of Lake-town and the fall of the dragon. He was not prepared to see such a large group of buildings and people gathered together in one place.

As he approached the lake he began to notice the traffic picking up both heading too and from the town on the lake. He handed out some fliers for the Easterly Inn when folk said they were headed that far west.

Once he came to the walkway leading out to the city on the water, he first realized the size of the town. The though of the work it took to construct such a place staggered his mind. He tried not to look the part of the provincial gawker, but he was not able to pull it of. The guards asked him if it was his first time to Lake-town. They were friendly enough although they weren't able to tell him where Finn lived. He had thought for some reason that everyone here would no everyone else here, like they did back home. He hadn't imagined a town so large that you could not know the others living there with you.

It took him several hours to fin Finn's home. He had to stop and ask directions several times. He hung up fliers for the Easterly Inn whenever he saw a notice board. When her finally stood at the door of the house he sought, he rapped twice with his knuckles and smiled a big smile when Finn opened the door. He was quite relieved to find the other companions, especially Glirion already there.

"Well, it seems I am the last to arrive, but I am glad to be here among friends. Now what news is there to share since we last were together?"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:34 pm

Varuthil says darkly, "Welcome. I have found out what manner of thing the Chain is. Once you have settled in, I can share what I learned from the elders of Thranduil's court with you."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:06 am

"Welcome Gerwald," says Finn, handing him a plate so that he could begin to eat; the food having already been brought to the table and the companions having already eaten a little. "Dorwinion wine or ale?"

He shares with him the news he's heard in the region, in particular about some festival in Dale. After the friendlier topics have gone on a while, Varuthil brings up the one topic he's wanted to avoid thinking about. It was like her, but it was right for it to be finally discussed.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:46 pm

Varuthil says, "I spoke with the elders of the Mirkwood elves about the Chain. It is a very ancient thing of evil, from the First Age, when it was forged in Thangorodrim to enslave dragons who rebelled against the Enemy's will. After the fall of Thangorodrim, wicked men carried it south to the bowels of Mount Gram, where it rested until the Necromancer took up residence in Dol Guldur, when it was moved there. They used it to force particularly willful slaves to submit. When the White Council attacked Dol Guldur, a lieutenant of the Necromancer called the Gibbet King moved the Chain to Dwimmerhorn, where he studied it. I am guessing the Gibbet King is the undead entity I saw in the coffin in the basilica at Dwimmerhorn. So the Chain is something that can bend even the most strong willed of creatures to its master's will. I do not know if it is something that can be used on the battlefield or if people must first be brought to it as captives--though if it was used to enslave rebellious dragons, I fear it may be used as a weapon in some way. Worse, it might be used to secretly bend the leaders of the free people's to the Gibbet King's will without anyone the wiser--but that is pure speculation on my part."

She looked at the others gravely. "We no longer know where the Chain and the Gibbet King are, though hopefully we have set them back. If we can find where it is though, we should strike before the Gibbet King can fully master its use. We could go among the free peoples and see who has heard rumors of such a thing. For my part, I think Beorn and Radagast are most likely to have some knowledge, through wild creatures bringing them word of evil things."