Book 8: Act 1 - The Troubles of Men

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:41 pm

Varuthil thinks a moment and says, "We can send messengers by conventional means to the leaders of the Free Peoples. If we can get the leaders of either Dale or the Lonely Mountain to commit to help us, we can do in much more effectively. I may be able to get a message to Radagast by unconventional means--it would be faster, but more vague and less certain. Other than that, as I have been saying, we need to collect intelligence. I admit I uncertain how best to proceed there. I suppose we could start by asking the leaders of the Men and Dwarves hereabout if they have heard anything relevant from their own scouts or networks."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:51 pm

"I have an idea that might kill two birds with one stone," says Finn, "It's been on my mind for some time to go to the East Bight, to visit Ceawin and his village. I have obvious business reasons to go there, but the East Bight is not actually that far from Rhosgobel; a difficult journey through the forest to be sure, but it is one that his folk make I'm certain. They were the ones who, at the Folk Moot, we helped to get official support from the Woodmen to start their steading."

Finn sips his wine, then continues, while Gudrun begins to set out freshly baked pies.

"We will not need to go through the forest, not immediately. Being Woodmen and being in the face of danger every day, the folk of Ceawin will take our warnings seriously, and will bring news to the others, to Radagast certainly, and will tell us if they've noticed anything unusual. After we have learned what they have to share, we can return north, and perhaps then we will have heard or seen more that will be noteworthy enough for the Bardings or the Dwarves to take us seriously. At this point I still believe that while we could get an audience with some counselor of some kind, and that counselor might listen to us, it wouldn't be information that they act upon. It might not even get to the King's ears. But going to the East Bight is the fastest way we can deliver the information, clearly and by hand, to Radagast, while not getting too far from the folk of the North."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:54 am

"The plan has merit." Glirion is glad that someone has proposed an idea with a clear goal, rather than dashing off into the wilderness. "It would be a journey of some distance, however, so we must plan carefully. If we had a boat, we could travel a great way south along the River Running - I myself am as comfortable upon the water as I am in the forest, being among those of my people who man the ships we use upon Celebrant and Anduin - and it would make the journey less arduous, I deem. But we would have to abandon such travel at some point, and there is no guarantee we could travel back the same way, even if we had the inclination to."
Last edited by Othniel on Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:42 pm

"Yes!" replies Finn, who loves the idea of being on a boat again. "I suppose it goes without saying, but I used to be on the water every day, and I have missed it these last years. Whether we can return here with the boat or no, I say we take one! But, it will be a good scouting trip, for over the River Running might prove to be the most effective method to bring lumber from the forest."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:07 pm

Varuthil thinks for a moment, then says, "That seems like a sound plan. When we reach the East Bight, I can try sending a message to Radagast to let him know we are nearby, if he wishes to meet with us--though he may well need no message from me." She seems more at ease now that they are settling on a course of action.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:16 pm

Gerwald nods in agreement. "Then is is settled. We will head south. I do not know much of boats, but I assume we can hire some easily enough here in Lake-town. Anyway, it gives us something to do and a direction in which to move."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:31 pm

"Oh, the Wyngard Woods company has many boats," Finn says with a laugh. "Even a few that are sitting on the shore, stored, needing a little patching, but of such quality that they'll get us there, but don't need to be returned if it can't be managed. I'll take care of the repairs, and any of you who has an eye for carpentry can join me, even if you've no experience in boats. Then Glirion and I will be your navigators."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:49 pm

Varuthil says, "Well, I will offer what help I can, but I know nothing of carpentry or boat-wrighting. But I am not too proud to simply carry lumber."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:03 pm

Its settled then. You will take a little trip to the East Bite and the Woodmen steading there. Finn will have to work out details of getting a boat to use, and speak to his father about possible business options to talk about with Ceawin while there, but that shouldn't take more than a few days.

That gives everyone a chance to explore Lake-town for a few days. The fabled place where Smaug the Dragon was slain.
You have a few days to explore. Go a head and post something you'd like to do and I may have some roll for you. If not we'll skip ahead to a few days from now.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:14 pm

The next morning after breakfast Finn stands and prepares to go. "Well friends, while I work on getting us a couple of boats, I recommend you check out the market pool - there are skilled craftsmen, lots of interesting food, and enough to see that should easily fill an afternoon. I plan to go there when the preparations for our journey are done. Tom can lead you all there if you like."

He continues, "Or if you prefer to get out of town, along the bank of the Forest River are many interesting herbs, some of which, the old wives like to say, have magic in them. I'm not so sure about that, but it is a pretty area."