Book 8: Act 1 - The Troubles of Men

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
User avatar
Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
Posts: 2010
Location: Kansas
User Class: Wanderer

Ruins of Men and Trolls: Round 3-4

Post by Wbweather » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:22 pm

With a groan, Gerwald tries to push himself up off the ground. His hands seem to only want to sink deeper in the mud as he finds himself beaten and bruised, lying once again in the muck of the swamp. He tries once more to get up, struggles and then somehow manages to stand, every breath painful. He struggles to focus his eyes on the troll, trying decide what to do and if he has any strength left to do anything.
Can I take another knockback?

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9632
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Ruins of Men and Trolls: Round 3-4

Post by Muskrat » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:33 pm

Varuthil hisses with frustration and looses another arrow at the stone troll. She hopes they can take it out soon, because they are not faring well. Soon, she may need to set aside her bow and defend herself with her sword.
Stance: Rearward
Action: Attack vs. troll with bow

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66141
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Ruins of Men and Trolls: Retreat

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:30 pm

Finn collects his blade, and looks at Gerwald who is knocked back again into the mud and is panting hard, but still is in the fight. Any one hit by the troll is going to be hurting for days, even if they manage to avoid any fatal wounds.

Then Glirion charges in, spear in hand, and nearly spits the troll on the end of the point. The blow is deflected at the last moment, opening up a bloody scratch instead of a fatal blow.

Varuthil fires off one of her last arrows into the chest of the troll. Again it seems its terrible hide keeps the arrow from doing its true potential in damage. The great mud covered stone troll is howling in pain but it looks like it might fight on.

Then a new arrival comes. Having been by nearby combat, Heva a new arrival, leaps through the brush, bow and axe in hand. A large shape stands surrounded by smaller ones, Men, or Elves, against something like a troll. It doesn't matter. Her bow is raised, the axe laying at her side, and between breaths, the arrow flies.

The shot pierces the troll's hide in shoulder, where it promptly snaps it off with a snarl. You have been like bees against a badger, little by little you have wounded it and caused it enough suffering that with a bellowing scream it turns and yanks down a tree to block the way toward it as it attempts to flee back into the swampy wilds of Mirkwood and the Long Marshes.
Finn: Recover from Knockback
Glirion: Forward: Rolled: Feat Die: 9* Success Die: 4,4 Totaling: 17 = Success for 5 [Piercing Blow: Protection Test: 14 vs 14 Not Wounded]
Gerwald: Knock Back (Half End Loss) = Only 9 (edited sheet)
Varuthil: Rearward Shot Rolled: Feat Die: 7* Success Die: 3,6t,4 Totaling: 20 with 1 success = 14 - 10 (Hate) = 4 End
Heava: Rearward Rolled: Feat Die: 7* Success Die: 6t,1,3,4 Totaling: 21 with 1 success = 14 - 10 (Hate) = 4
Troll Retreats
Gerwald 14 End Weary
Glirion 24 End
Finn 15 End
Varuthil 24 End

Some good use of Knock Back
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9632
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Ruins of Men and Trolls: Retreat

Post by Muskrat » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:13 pm

Varuthil looks with surprise on the new arrival and says, "Thank you for your aid," in a flat, cold voice, before turning to her companions and asking, "Is anyone badly injured? Does anyone need their wounds treated?" in the same flat, cold voice.

User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3712
Location: The Old Forest

Ruins of Men and Trolls: Retreat

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:36 pm

"I'm tired, but let's check on Gerwald," replies Finn. Hild is already moving toward the Beorning when Finn turns and bows, "Thank you kindly," he says to the newcomer, "And what brings you out here in the wild to save our necks?"

User avatar
Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 1142
User Class: Wanderer

Ruins of Men and Trolls: Retreat

Post by Othniel » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:40 am

"I am fine; it is Gerwald I fear for." Glirion spares only a glance at the newcomer at first, quickly turning his attention to their companion.

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9632
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Ruins of Men and Trolls: Retreat

Post by Muskrat » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:08 pm

Varuthil goes to Gerwald and begins examining his wounds, taking out her herbs and bandages, and treating him as best she can. She speaks only to give him directions, her touch is firm but surprisingly gentle. For now, she ignores the new-comer, letting the others talk to her and focusing on the job at hand.

User avatar
Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
Posts: 2010
Location: Kansas
User Class: Wanderer

Ruins of Men and Trolls: Retreat

Post by Wbweather » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:06 am

Gerwald winces at every touch and prod. He feels like a boulder has landed on him. He is fairly certain a few ribs are cracked, but he is still able to stand slowly. He will be sore for some time, but he is still alive and doesn't believe he is dying. Overall an acceptable outcome from two blows from a troll.

User avatar
Graven
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 130
User Class: Rigger

Ruins of Men and Trolls: Retreat

Post by Graven » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:29 pm

A tall woman with light red hair steps forward, bending to retrieve the long axe she dropped as she arrived, "You're welcome," she responds to the thanks, then responding to Finn, "I was camped not far off, and Mother always taught we should help where we can," she looks at the first aid going on and decides she can't contribute, "I'm Heva, some call me the Hornet," she gestures with the greatbow.
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
Formerly Phlale

User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3712
Location: The Old Forest

Ruins of Men and Trolls: Retreat

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:59 pm

Finn nods, "Ah, are you of the Woodmen, then? We are headed to Ceawin's steading, of the East Bight. Do you know him?"

Post Reply