Book 8: Act 1 - The Troubles of Men

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66142
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Ruins of Men and Trolls: Retreat

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:48 pm

Varuthil's attention is on Gerwald, she pokes and prods, wraps, and treats with herbs and poultices. He feel a bit better when she's done, but he's far from fine, and weary and exhausted he just needs rest in a good bed on a safe place.

The red haired woman scoops her axe up and joins the company.
Varuthil Healing Rolled:
Feat Die: 8*
Success Die: 4,3,1
Totaling: 16

I'll let that heal 4 Endruance, Gerwald is still Weary
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3712
Location: The Old Forest

Ruins of Men and Trolls: Retreat

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:22 pm

"Well, now that all evil things have been quite thoroughly wakened and sent off, I think a warm fire and food is in order," says Finn chuckling. "And maybe time to break out one of the bottles of wine my father sent, I think we could all use some, especially Gerwald.

He turns to see that Hild has already uncorked a bottle and is pouring some into a wooden cup - she looks at Finn briefly then nods, and goes to hand it to the Beorning.

"It's no mead," she says, "But then you had some at the Wyngard house. Well, plenty. Yes, you polished off a bottle yourself. Unfortunately, you may have to share this one," she adds with a hint of a smile.

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9634
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Ruins of Men and Trolls: Retreat

Post by Muskrat » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:40 pm

Varuthil looks gravely at Gerwald. "You've been banged up pretty badly, but you haven't received a serious wound." She sighs. "What you need most is a good night's sleep in a safe place, but it will be a while before you get that. For the time being, why don't you have something to eat"--she glances over at the group by the fire--"and something to drink? Then get some sleep. The rest of us will keep watch for the time being."

User avatar
Graven
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 130
User Class: Rigger

Ruins of Men and Trolls: Retreat

Post by Graven » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:13 pm

Heva smiles, "I should hope I know, lived in East Bight my whole life." She watches the party settle in for a drink, "I'll not ask your business, Caewin will get to that, but for my own, have you heard news of a group of dwarves heading that way? They're past due."
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
Formerly Phlale

User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3712
Location: The Old Forest

Ruins of Men and Trolls: Retreat

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:03 pm

"That's great to hear. How far are we from your village?" asks Finn. "My friends and I were part of those who urged the counsel of the Woodmen to accept Ceawin's steading as an official village, and as a result the Counsel encouraged him to grow and strengthen it with more people. It is time we go and visit him. . . .

It's interesting you mention the Dwarves. Just a day ago we were approached by Galion and a few scouts, and they were looking for the Dwarves as well, said they had been just a day ahead of us, but searching our camp we found no signs of them."

User avatar
Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 1142
User Class: Wanderer

Ruins of Men and Trolls: Retreat

Post by Othniel » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:47 pm

"The camp may have been dwarves, and I suspect it was," Glirion suggests. "And that they took special care to remove identifying traces. But why?"

User avatar
Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
Posts: 2010
Location: Kansas
User Class: Wanderer

Ruins of Men and Trolls: Retreat

Post by Wbweather » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:14 am

Gerwald stands with a grunt of pain and extends a hand of greeting to the newcomer. "Welcome friend. What is it that brings you to these desolate parts? Have you been watching us or did you just happen upon us in the nick of time?"

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9634
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Ruins of Men and Trolls: Retreat

Post by Muskrat » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:55 pm

Varuthil sits down with the others, but says nothing. She has already greeted the newcomer and the others are asking the questions she has.

User avatar
Graven
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 130
User Class: Rigger

Ruins of Men and Trolls: Retreat

Post by Graven » Fri May 01, 2020 2:25 am

Heva takes Gerwald's hand, "No, not watching you. If I was, I would have helped with the attack sooner. No, I was sent to see what I could find of those dwarves, but if you say they've been seeking to hide their passage, then perhaps they came to some misfortune."
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
Formerly Phlale

User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3712
Location: The Old Forest

Ruins of Men and Trolls: Retreat

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri May 01, 2020 4:44 pm

"What business did the Dwarves have in East Bight? Or perhaps that's not my business to ask. Either way, I think it fate that you crossed our path. Let us help you find these Dwarves, and then together you can guide us to the steading. What say you?"

Post Reply