Testing out the Rules

The OOC Forum for the Tales from Wilderlands campaign using The One Ring RPG system.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: Testing out the Rules

Post by Shurijo » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:25 am

I'd say lets play/finish a chapter or two. Maybe get in one or two combat encounters before we change rules.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:44 am

Yeah, I think probably you are right. I actually looked over alot of the house rule options and these were thte only two that seemed to make any sense for us anyhow.

My main goal was to find out how people did APs.

I might simply give out a set number at the end of each Adventuring Phase, with a bonus or two for insanely lucky rolls.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:45 am

Or something like:

Award one AP or each of the following:

Good posting speed

Good post quality

Proactively assisted the story

Used any number of skills during the adventure

Etc...
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:47 am

Having good hair.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:05 am

Yeah, a more flexible way of awarding APs seems like a good idea. As it is, it seems to rely on how well the current story line fits with your Traits. The rules do seem to encourage you to be creative in your use of Traits, but still it seems likely to produce very uneven AP awards.

I think tweaking the other rules can wait until we're more experienced with the game.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:38 am

I mirrores my post to the advancement thread. If there are no objections I will likely focus more on a static reward. I means taking traits like smoking dont hurt you by addi g mostly to your flavor.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:12 am

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:17 am

The dice roller seems to actually work too

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:24 am

Might be a nice dice roller for you. I'm guessing you're rolling actual die or substituting for the gandalf and sauron runes, etc.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:22 pm

This hasn't come up yet, but talk about recovering Hope made me wonder. One of the big advantages that a hobbit has is that a hobbit has more Hope than any of the other races. That's great because it means that they can overcome adversity more often - or so it would seem.

But it doesn't seem like they actually recover Hope any quicker. So once that extra Hope is gone, they're in the same boat as anyone else. Is there any way to reset your Hope to its starting value, or do you just get incremental gains in lost Hope?

I can think of a good financial analogy. Say V and I are both get a signing bonus for becoming admins at the site and then start collecting a regular salary. V gets a signing bonus of $500, while I get a signing bonus of $200. After that, we each get the same salary of $100/month.

So to look at it, V is much better off than I am. He has $500, while I only have $200. But what happens after he spends $400 to buy a brand new X-box and a few games for it, while I spend $100 to buy a bunch of Pathfinder books. Now we both have the same wealth ($100), and we're both making the same amount of money ($100/month). The fact that V started out with $500 doesn't matter at this point. What's relevant now is that we each get $100/month, not what we started out with.

Of course, it would be totally different if we were occasionally reset to $500 and $200. Then V would actually be better off, since he gets a greater reset amount.

In any case, it's far too early to say there's anything wrong. I just thought I'd raise this as an observation. And while I haven't looked into it, the same might be true for high Endurance characters too.