Fellowship Focus - Chapter 1

The OOC Forum for the Tales from Wilderlands campaign using The One Ring RPG system.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Fellowship Focus - Chapter 1

Post by Vardaen » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:26 pm

So I'd like everyone to post who they are picking for their Fellowship Focus in this thread for the coming Chapter 1!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Fellowship Focus - Chapter 1

Post by TetNak » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:09 pm

Borir I guess (I find this part of the system very strange).
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:10 pm

Varuthil

Elves of Mirkwood unite!!!
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:11 pm

Yeah, I find it strange too. I was going to pick Pipkin, since that's the only guy Borir knew before we started adventuring.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:21 pm

I suppose I'll pick Borir for the same reason Shirijo picked Pipkin.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:00 pm

I was going to pick Pipkin. Varuthil finds his innocence and enthusiasm fascinating.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:05 pm

I think there can be overlap, so it's fine to pick the same person more than once.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:15 pm

You could all pick Pipkin (except Pipkin) if you wanted to.

I thought he might get more picks than he did since he seemed to unit the group with his pipeweed.

This means you have a closer tie to this person in the fellowship and gain bonuses and suffer penalties when things happen to him/her.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:25 pm

RELATIONSHIPS
All adventurers share a feeling of loyalty towards each other, but each of them can develop a particular level of companionship with another member of the group: it may be uncommon respect for someone wiser or nobler, a special friendship shared with an old acquaintance, the kinship felt for a fellow countryman, or deep affection for a dear family member.

Whatever the nature of the relationship, each player may elect another member of the company as his character's Fellowship focus, writing the name of this companion in the appropriate space on the character sheet. (I did this for you)

Every player is free to indicate one companion of his choice as his focus. It can be any other player-hero, even one that has already been chosen by somebody else as his focus. The bond doesn't have to be mutual: a hero who has been chosen by another hero as his focus is free to choose any other character as his own. A Fellowship focus lets a character recover Hope without spending Fellowship (at the risk of gaining Shadow should the focus be harmed or killed); see page 105.

FELLOWSHIP RATING
The group of player-heroes is more than a band of roving mercenaries brought together by mere necessity. At its foundation are communal goals and mutual respect. This is recreated in the game by a shared pool of Fellowship points. During the game, players use these points to recover spent Hope. The number of points available to a company of heroes at the beginning of the game is equal to the number of heroes in the group.

All players record the company's Fellowship total in the appropriate box on their character sheet. This score is updated every time that a companion uses a point to recover Hope, and it is fully replenished at the beginning of every game session; (see the rules concerning Fellowship on page 105).

pg 105
Heroes may recover Hope during a game session spending Fellowship points, and possibly through their Fellowship focus (see The Fellowship below for details).

FELLOWSHIP POINTS
Members of the company may recover spent Hope by tapping into the Fellowship pool: for every Fellowship point spent, a character may raise his Hope score by one. To do so, a player must get permission from at least half the other members of the Company:

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:09 pm

I have to take a look at Fellowshhip Focus

FELLOWSHIP FOCUS
Fellowship focuses represent the strong ties between brothers in arms, close kinsmen and compatriots. Fellowship focuses have two effects in gameplay, as sources of Hope or as sources of inspiration.

As a Source of Hope
The presence of a Fellowship focus affects the way a character recovers Hope:

A player-hero recovers one point of Hope at the end of a session if his Fellowship focus wasn't wounded or otherwise harmed during play, and is in the same location as them.

A character gains one point of Shadow at the end of the session if his Fellowship focus was wounded, or three
points if the focus was killed.

As a Source of Inspiration
Successfully keeping their Fellowship focus safe might inspire a character so much that it lets him recover points of Hope:

If a player spends a Hope point to get an Attribute bonus to accomplish an action that can be considered to directly protect or favour his Fellowship focus and succeeds, he immediately recovers the Hope point he just spent.

Spent Hope

Aerth 1 -- Focus Borir (was unharmed) Recovers 1 Point
Borir 1 -- Focus Pipkin (was unharmed) Recovers 1 Point
Wren 1 -- Focus Varuthil (was unharmed) Recovers 1 Point

Varuthil -- Focus Pipkin (was unharmed) Nothing Happens
Pipkin -- Focus Borir (was unharmed) Nothing Happens

So no one get's any Shadow points since no one was wounded, and a few of your refreshed.