Chatter: Advancement

The OOC Forum for the Tales from Wilderlands campaign using The One Ring RPG system.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Chatter: Advancement

Post by Vardaen » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:17 pm

So this is to talk about the various advancement points and stuff for this game. I'm still working this out how this happens, and so posting from the Loremaster Book here so we can talk about it. If you think you are due something let me know so we can sort it out.
AWARDING - ADVANCEMENT - POINTS
During the Adventuring phase, heroes can achieve extraordinary feats and grow in prowess as a result. In gaming terms, they may be granted a number of Advancement points. Advancement points are used by players to advance their Common skill ratings later on, in the Fellowship phase.

BASIC REQUIREMENTS
It is the Loremaster's duty to judge whether a hero deserves an Advancement point or not (even though players are free to ask for a reward when they feel their characters have achieved something meaningful, or have learned something in failing to do so). When considering the award of an Advancement point, the Loremaster should bear the following points in mind:

• If a player succeeds at an action he may invoke a Trait to gain an Advancement point: if the Trait is deemed to be pertinent to the action, the player earns the point and checks the appropriate box.

• If the acting character was told prior to the roll that failing the attempt would have resulted in seriously negative consequences, then a successful roll should be considered always worthy of an Advancement point.

• Finally, rolls that overcame a severe (TN 18) or daunting (TN 20) difficulty should be worth of an Advancement point
under most circumstances.

LIMITATIONS
The three circles that follow each Skill group on the character sheet indicate that each group can receive a maximum of three Advancement points. No more Advancement points can be awarded to skills from that group until after the next Fellowship phase. Additionally, the number of Advancement points already granted by a given group increases the requirement for earning additional ones:

• If no circles have been checked yet in a Skill group, the Loremaster should feel free to award an Advancement point as soon as a player makes a roll satisfying the requirements described above. When a skill group has already been granted an Advancement point, the Loremaster should only grant a second point when something out of the ordinary has been achieved, and a third point only in exceptional cases.

While the distinction between simple successes and great and extraordinary ones may be used as a guideline, it is always up to the Loremaster to assess whether a hero should get an Advancement point or not.

ADVANCEMENT POINTS
Characters develop their Common skills by using them and earning Advancement points. During the game, a player can be awarded an Advancement point by the Loremaster when he uses a Common skill and succeeds – or fails! – in a distinctive or memorable way. A hero successfully invoking a Trait for an action is more likely to earn an Advancement point. Usually, a character earns an Advancement point when the outcome of an action surprises the acting player, his companions, and possibly the Loremaster. The rules governing Advancement point awards are found in the Loremaster's book.

When an Adventuring phase is over, players may spend some or all their Advancement points during the Fellowship phase to raise the ratings of their Common skills. Advancement points are recorded on the character sheet by putting a ‘check mark' on one of the three circles to the right of the Skill group that the skill used belongs to. Player-heroes may earn up to a maximum of three points in each Skill group in the course of an Adventuring phase: when the Adventuring phase is over, all points are accounted for and the check marks are erased from the character sheet.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: Chatter: Advancement

Post by Vardaen » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:22 pm

EXPERIENCE POINTS
A hero's sense of accomplishment, his confidence and skill at arms and the hard-earned respect paid to him by his peers are represented by the award of Experience points. These points allow players to buy Valour and Wisdom ranks, and to attain superior levels of proficiency in their chosen Weapon skills.

Players receive one Experience point each at the end of every gaming session they attend. Moreover, if the Loremaster deems that the group has made substantial progress toward the achievement of their chosen Company objective, each hero is awarded with a supplementary Experience point.

Players keep track of the number of Experience points they gain during play by updating their score on the character's sheet. To do so, they use the larger box - the smaller box, labeled Total, is used to record how many Experience points a player has received and invested already in the development of his hero. The rules concerning the expenditure of Experience points are found in the Fellowship phase chapter, at page 170.
...at the end of every gaming session they attend...

I HATE those sort of rules for Play by Post. I suppose the Prelude should count as a Gaming Session, and up to this point should count at a gaming session (resolving Baldor's midnight trip).
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:38 pm

HEROIC DEVELOPMENT
As mentioned in Chapter Four, the players follow their heroes' adventuring careers by gaining Experience points and Advancement points during the Adventuring Phase, and by spending them during the Fellowship phase.

Spending them starts on page 170 with tables and such.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:09 am

...at the end of every gaming session they attend...

I HATE those sort of rules for Play by Post. I suppose the Prelude should count as a Gaming Session, and up to this point should count at a gaming session (resolving Baldor's midnight trip).
I'm not sure how well they work even for tabletop play, since gaming sessions can be of variable length.
If a player succeeds at an action he may invoke a Trait to gain an Advancement point: if the Trait is deemed to be pertinent to the action, the player earns the point and checks the appropriate box.
You could argue I've done this twice so far. Once, when I Persuaded the bandits to leave Baldor alone. And once when I climbed the wall to rescue Baldor. Both fit with my Merciful trait. That would be points for Personality and Movement.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:32 am

Yeah, that's kinda rough. For Borir, it's strange. I used Hardy on Travel test for our caravan, but he auto-succeeded. Doesn't sound right to get advancement points for auto-successes.

Do we get points for using battle skill? Or for singing?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:47 am

The trick becomes invoking a trait when you make a roll. Im not sure how it works for ganfalf runes... you did succeede. Hmm. Ill do more research but feel free to do some too. This is everyones first try after all.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:15 pm

So, you have to actively invoke the Trait when taking the action? I was reading it that the action just has to fit with one of your Traits. The former seems really restrictive.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:02 am

It doesnt work without the trait and you have to invoke the trait....for it to fit the situation as per the trait rules. So unless you use the skill and trait in tandem you dont get the ap. So it seems to me.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:55 pm

That makes the traits a lot more important than we originally considered. I invoked Hardy during our travel, so that would be 1 AP? My other trait is crafting related, so I need to bring my smithy hammer next time :)

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:58 pm

I invoked Cooking. Do I get an AP too?