A "Game Session"

The OOC Forum for the Tales from Wilderlands campaign using The One Ring RPG system.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

A "Game Session"

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:09 pm

So TOR uses one of my least liked conventions of awarding things per "Game Session". This is fine for table top, but really sucks for us using PbP. What constitutes a "Game Session" for us?

Perhaps we could try and figure this out. One of my ideas was:

1 Non-Combat RP + 1 Travel Segment + 1 Combat

Or perhaps 3 scenes?

This "Game Session" affects how much XP you get, and when Hope refreshes or Shadow Points are gained.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: A "Game Session"

Post by Shurijo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:22 am

I would bump up those numbers a bit.

From Pathfinder Intro games, each of those was suppose to last a couple hours and there were 3 combats and 1-3 social/skill scenes. I think that combat rolling IRL would only take 5-10 mins at most to resolve. It just takes a while on the site, so I'd suggest something that would take about 2-3 hrs to do on tabletop.

Maybe, everything we've done so far could have been played in about 3 hours on a tabletop.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:32 am

Knowing what I do from the table top I have played, it isn't so fast at the table. Combat certainly runs better, but consider the events at BrenCon.

The L5R RPG I ran was a good hunk of time, but we did do that in 1 sitting. JP's 40K events were just straight combat with pretty fast and loose rules and also took a good hunk of time.

The Prelude I would consider 1 play session (11 pages), but the current chapter is now 23 pages long including the split off. Perhaps every 10 pages is one session?

If that's the case, while we aren't done with the chapter, we are actually nearly there. The Pcs would get 3 XP, and I think 6 APs. Which I guess seems about right, but 3 XP won't buy you much.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:34 am

I'm not even sure how well "a game session" works for face-to-face play. Some groups may have a set number of hours they meet, while some may pull all-nighters if the spirit takes them.

Three major scenes, of whatever sort, seems reasonable. I think trying to break it into "1 Non-Combat RP + 1 Travel Segment + 1 Combat" may get cumbersome because the game is unlikely to break down precisely that way. For instance, I suspect our initial meeting with the bandits holding Baldor captive was supposed to be a combat scene, but turned into a role-playing/ skill check scene.