Fellowship Phase - Chatter

The OOC Forum for the Tales from Wilderlands campaign using The One Ring RPG system.
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Fellowship Phase - Chatter

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:00 am

It would be cool if we could invest treasure in a Sanctuary, so that it is both a Sanctuary and a Holding. If it were the Inn, then during Fellowship phases we could do a roll for "Tend to Holding" and somehow depending on how much treasure we invested, it would help with the roll (add bonus, let us re-roll, etc.). Of course, with an Eye rolled or something low, we could lose some of what was invested. I'd be happy to come up with some ideas on how it could work.

Finn's long term goal is to set up a Holding of a timber company, gathering wood from (likely Eastern) Mirkwood, to bring up to Laketown. His backstory is that his family is in the lumber business, and since gathering it from the eastern eaves of Thranduil's realm is starting to cause problems, he sees this business opportunity. But, I don't see an opportunity to do narrate this kind of Holding for a while. So in the meantime, having one here would be fun.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:09 am

I could certainly see Pipkin as an innkeeper/tavern keeper.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:54 am

It would be interesting to go pay another visit to Radagast.

I had been planning to use this Fellowship phase to Gain a New Distinctive Trait, swapping out Secretive for Hardened, since I haven't gotten much use from the former and really been playing my character as secretive--but I have certainly been playing her as Hardened. Not to mention Merciful and Hardened would make an interesting combination.

If others are keen on establishing a new Sanctuary (which we could do with Dody's inn probably) or establishing a Holding, I don't want to stand in the way of that though. I'm trying to envision a Holding Varuthil would be interested in though ... actually, an inn where she could see and talk with people from many places would interest her, though I can't imagine her actively staffing the inn.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:44 am

Finn doesn't know anything about the task from Radagast, though I'm sure he'd be up to go visit him. I'd like to establish the Inn as a Sanctuary (requires all of the Fellowship), while establishing a Holding is an individual PC task (in this case it might be the same place). I wouldn't imagine most of us staffing the inn...but there might be ways to help it and gain profit (ie treasure) from it, per the Holding rules.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:39 am

I think youd first have to make it a sanctuary and later invest with dody and dindy to be a holding youd share with them.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:50 pm

And we're only allowed one action per Fellowship Phase, right?

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:28 pm

Actually, it depends on the length of the Fellowship phase. With longer phases more actions are allowed. Also, a company can elect to take a longer one (if the LM allows). The main action is in addition to spending XP/AP. (Create a Sanctuary, gain a Patron, heal Corruption, and all the other special actions named in the various books).

I'd guess we might have enough time to make the Inn a Sanctuary (that's my vote for this phase), and then go to Radagast? Obviously V's call.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:14 pm

Make a cozy hobbitish inn a Sanctuary? I'm all for that!