Fellowship Phase - Chatter

The OOC Forum for the Tales from Wilderlands campaign using The One Ring RPG system.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Fellowship Phase - Chatter

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:20 am

So the adventure is actually nearing the end of the Adventure Phase. That means we will soon be getting into the Fellowship Phase, which is a big down time, generally a year's worth of down time, with options to do various thing, perhaps even split up for a while.

I HIGHLY suggest you start looking at this in the book, its certainly a different sort of thing than you'll find in other games.

We can start to talk about how you want to run it here but likely I'll have a new thread for it, with small vignettes or narration of what happens like interlude thread I've used in other games, before the next Adventure phase kicks off.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: Fellowship Phase - Chatter

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:41 pm

So I hope everyone has had a chance to at least glance at the Fellowship Phase, which is coming up and will be a separate short thread where you can tell the rest of us what you do over the winter months. The core book has plenty of opportunities for you to pick from, along the lines of setting up new Sanctuary, healing Shadow Points, or other such things.

Since you've found your way to Woodland Hall I'll post some Woodsmen specific options you could look at. There is also the matter of spending AP and XP (don't confuse the two!) Watch for another thread on that.

You also have the option of 1 other loose thread to tend to, but I'll leave that up to you to figure out what it might be.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:56 pm

Here are Woodmen focused Fellowship Phase Undertakings not in the core book.

New Fellowship Phase Undertaking: Compete on the Field of Heroes
(Woodmen Only) - Aerth Only Option

Woodmen companions spending a Fellowship phase in any one of the Woodmen settlements of Mirkwood may complete on the Field of Heroes to gain renown in front of their peers. When a hero chooses this undertaking, he attempts to gain the opportunity to raise his Standing rating at a modified cost. To do so, he must select and roll one of the following skills: Athletics , Hunting , Bows or Axes. On a success, the cost of increasing Standing is reduced by 3, a great success reduces it by 6, and an extraordinary success by 12.

New Fellowship Phase Undertaking: Go Hunting with the Woodmen

Few creatures in the forest of Mirkwood are good to eat, but some are surprisingly tasty. Companions spending a Fellowship phase in Woodland Hall, Woodmen-town or Rhosgobel may hunt with the Woodmen in Mirkwood. When a companion chooses this undertaking, he first makes a Hunting test, followed by a roll on the table below. This second roll is modified by +1 if the hero possesses the Beast-lore specialty, +2 if the Hunting roll was a great success, +4 if the Hunting roll was an extraordinary success.

Gandalf Rune Choose any one result except A Stag , or roll again.

1 Nothing Useful! If you are a Woodman, reduce your Standing rating by 1 point for the duration of the next Adventuring Phase.

2-3 Nuts and Berries: The character fails to catch anything worthy of telling, but collects plenty of food for the Woodmen. If you are a Woodman, raise your Standing rating by 1 point for the duration of the next Adventuring Phase.

4-5 Good Hunt: Gain an Advancement point in the Survival skill group.

6-7 Great Hunt: Gain one Advancement point each in the Movement and Survival skill groups.

8-9 A Mighty Boar: You brought home a fat forest boar, and everyone feasts! Gain 1 Experience point.

10 A Stag: You brought down one of the fabled stags of Mirkwood. Recover 1 point of Hope and gain 1 Experience point.

Sauron Rune Mirkwood Dark: You wander into a dangerous region of the forest, and gain 1 Shadow point.

New Fellowship Phase Undertaking: Enter Wuduseld

The carvings of the Great Hall of Wuduseld are a sight to behold. They are a magnificent testimony of the long history of the Woodmen and their wandering across Wilderland. Many tales are depicted in astonishing detail on the walls of the hall, along each pillar, rafter and beam. A companion spending a Fellowship phase at Woodland Hall may choose this undertaking and gain the benefits of the Old-lore speciality for the duration of the following Adventuring phase. If the character already has Old-lore , then he may gain two benefits from a single Trait invocation (for example, he could automatically succeed at a roll and gain an Advancement point).

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:02 am

You'll let us know when it's Year's End, right? Just want to make sure we get a "Standing Upkeep" notice :)

Opening a New Sanctuary requires everyone in the fellowship to choose that activity... Does anyone want or not want to do this?

If we don't do Open a New Sanctuary, the Borir will choose "Enter Wuduseld". Healing Corruption is also a good choice, but I think I'll wait until my Shadow Points gets a bit higher to take those rolls...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:11 am

As much as these other options look good, I think we're better off making sure we have a Sanctuary on the west side of Mirkwood.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:19 am

Okay. I'm good with Opening a New Sanctuary :) just need everyone else to get on board with the idea since it requires everyone to spend their activity choice.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:23 am

I'm not certain, since I haven't found a definitive answer in the rules, but I think that if we're not disbanding, then we have to either stay in a Sanctuary or create a new one. As a result, I'm not sure if we can stay in Woodland Hall through the Fellowship phase except by trying to make it a Sanctuary. As it stands now, it's not a sanctuary, and so isn't suitable for us to stay over the Fellowship phase.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:31 am

That's fine by me (Aerth).
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:38 am

Okay, let me add this. You have that Woodman Relic in Varuthil's pack, once you do something with it, you might just get a free Sanctuary in Woodmen land. :)

So assuming you do something nice with the relic, you might just not have to worry about that Sancutary stuff ;)

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:02 am

Which "activity" would someone need to choose to "do something" with the relic? It sounds like everyone in the Fellowship either picks a single player activity (heal corruption, go hunting with woodsmen, talk with patron, etc.) or we do a group activity like build a new sanctuary.

Since Tet is the woodsman, we would just need him to spend his activity either talking with someone to get the sanctuary? Or does all members need to spend their activity?