Book 3: Act 1 - Travel Information

The OOC Forum for the Tales from Wilderlands campaign using The One Ring RPG system.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Book 3: Act 1 - Travel Information

Post by Vardaen » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:30 pm

August 10th, 2947 The Third Age, Late Summer

Now they rode away amid songs of farewell and good speed, with their hearts ready for more adventure...

The ideal itinerary to the Easterly Inn sees your company travel north along the western eaves of Mirkwood, up to the point where the Old Forest Road enters the forest. From there, you must go north across the land of the Beornings up to the Inn a day's trip before reaching the Forest Gate.

They changed/updated the rules for planning ahead for travel. I quote here. This is actually a bit more streamlined and in line with other bonus dice you get in combat and encounters.

Adventurer's Guide, p152, New Player Options

The following rules for Preliminary Rolls replace the rules for Combat Advantages and Planning Ahead for a Journey.

Preliminary Rolls
Adventurers learn fast that if they want to survive when out in the Wild, they better be prepared, whether they are leaving to go on a journey, or when facing the enemy in combat, or even when meeting strangers in an encounter upon the road. At the beginning of any one of the three main heroic ventures (journey, combat and encounter), all players are entitled to make a preliminary skill roll against TN 14 to determine their character's preparedness. Every type of heroic venture targets a specific skill (see below), but the results are interpreted in the same way: based on the quality of the result, every successful roll grants a hero a number of bonus Success dice (advantages) to use in the coming endeavour. Each ordinary success grants the player one Success die, a great success grants two dice, while an extraordinary success grants three dice.

How to use bonus Success dice
Heroes may spend their bonus Success dice to boost their rolls during the ensuing endeavour.
When a player is about to make a roll, he may add one bonus Success die to the roll. To add the die, he may spend one of his own bonus dice, or another player may spend it to give it to him.
Commonly, heroes spend their bonus Success dice on their Travel rolls when journeying, on their attack rolls or Protection tests when fighting, and on any useful roll during encounters.

During the same turn, a player may spend one or more of the dice in his reserve at any time (for his own roll or to help others), but any roll may be modified by a maximum of one bonus Success die.

Journey Advantages
When the fellowship has chosen the road they intend to follow to reach their destination, all players may make a roll of Lore to check if their characters know something useful about the lands they are going to traverse. Every successful Lore roll grants a hero a number of bonus Success dice to use during the journey – the companion leaves with the proper gear, or having planned the most appropriate course, or having listened to the best counsellors.

You all get a free Attribute Bonus (Wits) for having made this trip several times now.
Rolls: Lore + Wits vs: TN 14
Aerth: Lore 1 = 9,1 + 6 = 16 Success
Borir: Lore 1 = 1,6t +5 = 12 Fail
Pipkin: Lore 2 = 7, 6t,3 + 4 = 25 Great Success
Varuthil: Lore 3 = Sauron Rune,2,4,6t= Failure
Wren: Lore 3 = 7,1,5,4 + 7 = 24 Success

I'll be adding a place on your sheets for bonus dice so we can track these better. Sheet edited.
Last edited by Vardaen on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: Book 3: Act 1 - Travel Information

Post by Vardaen » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:31 pm

Company Traveling Roles

Players assign their characters a role for the journey, roughly summarising what their characters will be doing for the length of the trip.

Here is your previous roles. I will assume the same unless I hear otherwise.

Guide - Borir
Scout - Aerth
Huntsman - Varuthil
Look-out Men - Pipkin, Wren

Fellowship Focus

I will continue to use what's on your sheet, if you want to change them, now is the time to do it. If you do let me know so I can take note of it.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:37 pm

The Map

Travel Skill Ranks

Aerth 1
Borir 3
Pipkin 2
Varuthil 1
Wren 1

Encumbrance/Fatigue

The Errata PDF says this:

Adventurer's Guide, p155, Travelling Gear
As seen on page 76, the Encumbrance rating of a character's Travelling gear depends on the season during which the journey is taking place, and is equal to 3 points during the cold months of a year, and to 2 point during spring and summer.

Adventurer's Guide, p155, Ponies and Boats
If the company travels aboard boats or is equipped with ponies, reduce by 1 the amount of Fatigue generated by each failed Fatigue test (the Fatigue increase becomes 2 points in Winter and Autumn, and 1 in during Spring and Summer).

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:16 pm

So the group has an extended rest at the Easterly Inn, that heals up any lost Fatigue/Endurance from the trip north. You are ready to travel west, and could should RP a little planning/Lore checks for the terrain and your travel path.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:52 pm

Lore Checks for Planning from Easterly Inn to High Pass

While Pipkin came that way once, and perhaps Borir also its not enough to count to for a bonus, as you were with a caravan, and that was pre-start of the campaign, just like the elves didn't get any bonus in Mirkwood.

Lore TN 14

Aerth (1): 7,3 =10 Fail
Borir (1): 10,2 = 12 Fail
Pipkin (2): 3,6t,2=11 Fail
Varuthil (3): 7,6t,1,4=18 Great Success = 2 Bonus Journey Dice
Wren (3): 7,2,5,6t = 20 Great Success = 2 2 Bonus Journey Dice

These bonus dice can be used for Travel Rolls on this leg of the trip or to overcome Hazards on this leg of trip. Sheets updated.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:08 pm

Well, look at this, our new friend BB (because Blubbo_Baggins is too much to type) has experience in the game and has pointed out something we've been doing a bit wrong. It swings in the player's favor so all the better.

Adv Book, page 76

Travelling Gear
A hero's travelling gear includes all the typical belongings that he carries when travelling, in addition to his weapons and armour. Players only take into consideration the Encumbrance rating of their travelling gear when they are using the rules for resolving a Journey (see Chapter Five).

That means everyone will get back a few points of Fatigue/Encumbrance. I will make the updates now. The new errata however change the Encumbrance of your gear so page 76 has them listed wrong there. Summer 2, Winter 3.

Good show BB!

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:38 pm

Vardaen wrote:Well, look at this, our new friend BB (because Blubbo_Baggins is too much to type) has experience in the game and has pointed out something we've been doing a bit wrong. It swings in the player's favor so all the better.

That means everyone will get back a few points of Fatigue/Encumbrance. I will make the updates now. The new errata however change the Encumbrance of your gear so page 76 has them listed wrong there. Summer 2, Winter 3.

Good show BB!
I'm glad my instinct was right! :)

- BB

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:48 pm

By the way, Vardaen, due to the Virtue "Merchant Prince" I need to choose at the beginning of every adventure which servant I'm having accompany Finn.
(Page, Physician, Porter, or Scrivener)

Do you want me to post that each time in the OOC Travel thread, or on my character sheet, or elsewhere?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:53 am

All of the abovr and IC also. Hmm I better read up on that. Be aware npc follwer times have a bad habbit of turning up dead in my games ;)

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:08 pm

Ok, well, for this adventure, Finn will have his servant Ingolf, a Porter (reroll the Fate die, choose better result, for every Fatigue test).
Same info. posted to character sheet.

I will certainly make mention of him IC.

It is clear - these servants take care of one function only; they do not fight or participate in encounters in any other way. That doesn't mean you can't use them as a plot hook or complication however you like though! :lol: