Book 3: Act 1 - Travel Information

The OOC Forum for the Tales from Wilderlands campaign using The One Ring RPG system.
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Book 3: Act 1 - Travel Information

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:35 am

After 1/2 hr after the encounter with the wight, will Aerth and Borir recover their Heart score in Endurance?

(Just want to know if we are playing that way, which I think is the RAW, or are we using different rules for Endurance recovery?)

And now I am curious to remember - if you know off the top of your head (I can look it up in my book), what do unwounded PCs recover overnight (extended rest)?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:25 am

I don't know the numbers off hand, I did look them up, so since no one is Wounded it doesn't take much. Yes, they need a good rest to recover, since this was a Wight I might play out the duration of the rest needed to be greater than if was just some bandit.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:08 am

Cool, good to know.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:32 am

So close BB you should be in maybe monday or tuesday.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:53 pm

September 13th, 2947 The Third Age, Autumn

Now they rode away amid songs of farewell and good speed, with their hearts ready for more adventure...

The ideal itinerary to Rhosgobel (or a shorter trip to Woodman Hall) sees your company travel south along the western eaves of Mirkwood, in Beorn's lands, up to the point where you find Woodman Hall, from there hey might take you by swift roads through the woods south to Rhosgobel.

Preliminary Lore Roll for Travel Planning
You all (except for Finn) get a free Attribute Bonus (Wits) for having made this trip several times now.

Rolls: Lore + Wits vs: TN 14
Aerth: Lore 1 = 4,6t + 6 = 16 Great Success
Borir: Lore 1 = 5,3 +5 = 13 Fail
Pipkin: Lore 2 = 9,2,4 + 4 = 19 Success

Varuthil: Lore 3 Sauron Rune +9 = Failure
Wren: Lore 3 = Sauron Rune + 7 = Failure
Finn: Lore 0 = +N/A = Suaron Rune = Failure

Sheets Updated

Company Traveling Roles

Players assign their characters a role for the journey, roughly summarising what their characters will be doing for the length of the trip.

Here is your previous roles. I will assume the same unless I hear otherwise. Finn?

Guide - Borir
Scout - Aerth
Huntsman - Varuthil
Look-out Men - Pipkin, Wren

Fellowship Focus

I will continue to use what's on your sheet, if you want to change them, now is the time to do it. If you do let me know so I can take note of it.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:48 pm

Question - if the Lore TN is 14, Varuthil would be able to spend Hope to turn the Lore roll into success, right?

I am just surprised that Varuthil's Wits + 3d6 is just 9, and Wren's Wits + 3d6 is just 7! Are we counting an Eye result as an auto fail, or just a 0 per rules?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:45 pm

In this case I count it as a Fail. I was trying to see what the result of a Sauron was for such a rule. They explain what happens in combat with a Sauron, but not for these Prelim rolls. So just failing, but no other bad effect.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:28 pm

I can find a page number from the book if you like - I know a Sauron/Eye result is never an auto-fail, just a 0 (or for enemies it is an auto-success, and Gandalf is a 0).
Edit: See Adventurer's Book pg 25
"The Eye icon is considered to be the lowest result possible
on the Feat die. Under most circumstances, when the Feat
die comes up showing the Eye icon, the die counts as
zero."
Or are you planning to house rule that a Sauron rune on a skill test is an auto-fail? (That would cause auto-fail to happen a lot, 1 / 12)

I know for High Elves of Rivendell, if you mark a skill to remove Shadow, then for that particular skill rolling an Eye IS an auto-fail (Rivendell book).

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:11 am

There it is! Its one of those things that takes some getting used to. In combat it generally triggers an enemy called shot next round, etc...

I just couldn't seem to find what happens on a skill check with it. Now what the Potentially bad effect is on a Preliminary Travel/Lore check is i'm not sure. Before revised I think it took away successes, or increased the travel times of the trip, but with the errata that seems to have vanished.

So...

Varuthil: Lore 3 Sauron Rune, 1,6t,4 +9 = 20 Great Success
Wren: Lore 3 = Sauron Rune, 2,2,3 + 7 = 14 Success
Finn: Lore 0 = +N/A = Suaron Rune = 0 Failure

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:12 am

Let's make Finn another Look Out since being the Guide makes little sense as you said.