Chatter: Recovering Hope

The OOC Forum for the Tales from Wilderlands campaign using The One Ring RPG system.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Chatter: Recovering Hope

Post by Vardaen » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:09 pm

So I've been doing Hope Recovery wrong, in your favour. That's about to end! (Evil Mouth of Sauron Laugh Here)

Basically what you need to know is that Hope is not an easily renewable resource. It does not auto refresh each Fellowship Phase!
Hope is a character's reserve of spiritual fortitude and positivity. A hopeful character can keep going when physically stronger heroes have already succumbed to despair.

Hope is an ever-dwindling resource: to overcome the many formidable challenges he is going to face, a player-hero who has just started his adventuring career is bound to count on it quite often (veterans might come to rely more on their own abilities).
I suggest everyone take a second (or first) look at page 104 of the Adventurer's Book about Hope and Fellowship. I'm going to quote some of it here for us.

Heroes may recover Hope during a game session spending Fellowship points, and possibly through their Fellowship focus (see The Fellowship below for details).

To recover their much-needed trust and self-confidence, player-heroes should look no further than their own companions. Points taken from the Fellowship pool can be spent to refresh a character's Hope, while the company of a hero's Fellowship focus can allow him to recover points for free.
FELLOWSHIP POINTS
Members of the company may recover spent Hope by tapping into the Fellowship pool: for every Fellowship point spent, a character may raise his Hope score by one. To do so, a player must get permission from at least half the other members of the Company: If this consensus cannot be found, he may either agree not to spend any points, or spend them anyway and gain a Shadow point for each Fellowship point used. Players may recover any number of Hope points up to their maximum Hope score, as long as there are Fellowship points left. A player may tap into a company's Fellowship pool at any time. This means that a character can recover some of his lost Hope even as he exchanges blows with a hostile creature or as he bandies crooked words with a cunning diplomat.

A company's Fellowship pool is completely refreshed at the beginning of each new gaming session.
That's key. So you can dip into the Fellowship Pool to refresh your hope, and then the Fellowship Pool refreshes. I know Sessions is a hard thing to manage in Play by Post, but we'll figure it out. Works out to about 3 or 4 per Adventuring Phase.
Players may take advantage of their entire Fellowship pool of points, of use just a part of it, or not at all. ‘Unused' Fellowship points do not carry over to the next session.
FELLOWSHIP FOCUS
Fellowship focuses represent the strong ties between brothers in arms, close kinsmen and compatriots. Fellowship focuses have two effects in gameplay, as sources of Hope or as sources of inspiration.

As a Source of Hope
The presence of a Fellowship focus affects the way a character recovers Hope: A player-hero recovers one point of Hope at the end of a session if his Fellowship focus wasn't wounded or otherwise harmed during play, and is in the same location as them.

A character gains one point of Shadow at the end of the session if his Fellowship focus was wounded, or three points if the focus was killed.
This doesn't mean if they loose Endurance or Gain Fatigue. That's just normal actions, but "otherwise harmed" could be something more dramatic like being poisoned and wrapped up by a Giant Spider, or being mauled by a horny Beorn.

So how much Fellowship Points do you have? 1 Per Character, +1 Bonus for each Hobbit so that is a 5 total right now. Up to this point no one has dipped into Fellowship Points since we never used up Hope because we were doing this wrong. I expect that to change. I am not about to go back and try and figure out what your Hope should be, we will assume you managed your Fellowship Points and Fellowship Focus just perfectly up to this point. We will start doing it right from here on out. So don't spend those Hope Points too willy nilly.
When the Hope score of a hero decreases to reach his Shadow rating, the hero is considered to be Miserable. Check the Miserable box on the character sheet, and apply the effects to the character.

If a character's Miserable box was already checked, then losing Hope doesn't provoke any additional effect.

If a character finds his Hope score reduced to zero points, he is spiritually spent. A hopeless hero cannot bear to continue a struggle of any sort, and will flee from any source of danger or stress, by escaping from the field of battle, for example, or storming out on a debate.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: Chatter: Recovering Hope

Post by Vardaen » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:10 pm

Everyone is at full Hope right now, and the Fellowship Pool is also full so we are starting off fresh, but be prepared for this to start changing now.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:49 am

I am definitely on board with this... if Hope isn't a slowly dwindling resource, or if characters aren't struggling with bouts of madness (very fun for everyone when that happens! Especially the LM), then we'd miss out on half of the strength and theme of this game, imo. I'm sure we can come up with a way to work out the fact that we aren't playing in sessions. If I remember right, an adventure takes between 3-4 two+ hour sessions.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:37 am

I have been awarding xp and ap based on 3 or 4 sessions for an adventuring phase. It is easy enough to just call session end every so many scenes or pages of posts. Many games have this mechanic we will make it work.

Are you loosing gope they might eventually stop harashing Shanker and come find you guys?

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:55 pm

Thankfully my shadow score is low, so no risk of a bout of madness! :-)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:13 am

So its time to recover Hope.

First let's deal with naturally recovering Hope, then you can draw from the Fellowship Pool.

FELLOWSHIP FOCUS

A player-hero recovers 1 point of Hope at the end of a session if his Fellowship focus didn't become Wounded, Poisoned, Miserable, or was harmed in any other way the Loremaster considers serious (such as imprisoned by Orcs) during play, and is in the same location as them.

A character gains 1 point of Shadow at the end of the session if his Fellowship focus was Wounded, or 3 points if the focus was killed.

So no one was Wounded, etc, in any meaningful way. You all lost Endurance but that doesn't count. So everyone recovers 1 Point of Hope. (Sheet's updated).

Amazingly enough no one spent more than 1 hope in that fight so we don't have to dip into the Fellowship Pool to refresh any other Hope. Now with Finn in the group he adds to the Fellowship Pool, and becomes a legal target for Fellowship Focus if anyone wants to change, tell me NOW if so before setting out.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:16 am

Someplace I read that you get 1 Fellowship Point per member of the group, +1 for each Hobbit, but now I can't find the Hobbit reference.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:22 am

Wow, yeah, we got lucky not having to spend more than 1 hope there!

Regarding Hobbits - it's their Cultural Blessing - "Hobbit Sense" which you can find probably near the beginning of the section on Hobbit PCs.

Regarding Focus: Finn still only knows Wren at this point well enough to be most concerned for him, so no change here.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:25 am

There it is! Thanks. I knew I read that some place, the revised rules should just mention that in the Fellowship Point Pool section.

Okay, so the Fellowship Pool is at 7. Updating sheets.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:20 am

So just curious, we each regained 1 Hope from no one's Focus being injured, correct? We still have the pool of 7 points that we get to spend? How often does this pool refresh in a PbP game (since 1/session is harder to measure)?