Book 3: Act 2 - Fellowship Phase

The OOC Forum for the Tales from Wilderlands campaign using The One Ring RPG system.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Book 3: Act 2 - Fellowship Phase

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:51 pm

Its time for the Fellowship Phase of Book 3.

You guys should keep RPing in the thread, but once you set out its off to the Easterly Inn. Along the way you can stop off at Woodman Hall and Woodman Town and do various Fellowship stuff, eventually reaching the Inn and all that.

I believe you agreed to make the Inn an Sanctuary as your action.
Open New Sanctuary
"Hidden somewhere ahead of us is the fair valley of Rivendell, where Elrond lives in the Last Homely House."

In the course of their exploration of Wilderland, the company of adventurers will sooner or later find new places they might consider suitable for resting during a Fellowship phase. If, during an Adventuring phase the company has entered a location and has established friendly relations with its denizens, they can make it a sanctuary, securing permission to enter it regularly to spend a Fellowship phase there.

To turn a suitable location into a sanctuary, all companions must spend the phase there and choose Open New Sanctuary as their current undertaking. The collective undertaking cements their relations with the important personalities of the place.
You can begin to spend your XP and AP.

XP Awards: 6 XP
AP Awards: 12 AP

Aerth, Borir, Finn, Pipkin, Varuthil, & Wren - Sheets previously updated for this.

You should start spending them and thinking about how this works into the upcoming Fellowship Phase. I plan to start the FP this week once you resolve a bit of RP in the current chapter or even while you are.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Book 3: Act 2 - Fellowship Phase

Post by TetNak » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:55 pm

Excellent.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:46 pm

I think BB mentioned somewhere that during a sufficiently long Fellowship Phase, the GM might allow the PCs more than one undertaking. Since it sounds like we'll be there all winter, any chance we'd be allowed two undertakings? Because I think we should go for the Sanctuary, but I now also have two traits I want to change.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:21 pm

Hmmm, we will go through Year End, and if you have sufficient RP for the trait change on the Fellowship thread I could see letting you guys have 2 Undertaking if they aren't of the same type and don't conflict with the concept of setting up the Easterly Inn as a Sancutary.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:03 am

XP: 6 to increase Valour from 2 to 3, taking Reward: Cunning Make (Shield)
AP: 9 to increase Battle (favoured) from 2 to 3
AP: 9 to increase Insight (favoured) from 2 to 3
(see Heroic Development)

Question about general play:

So far we haven't done Encounters according to the RAW, which is fine, but that leads me to question:
When will such skills as:
Courtesy, Persuade, Awe, Riddle, etc. be used?
What about Insight?
(Song and Inspire have use in-combat, but they can also be applicable).

I ask because, if we are planning to simply role-play encounters with folk, rather than "roll" the outcome of what we say, then I may change my AP spend (9 AP to increase Insight to 3) to something else. (RAW, Insight can be a significant help providing bonus dice for Encounters.)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:31 pm

I plan to use them, and have in the past pre-Finn joining the game. They will come into play, but not every scene requires dice rolls (one of the nice things of TOR), but when interacting with hostiles, or Kings, and things like that you can bet I will be using those rules for Tolerance and such.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:33 pm

OK cool! I certainly agree there is no need to use Encounter rules in every situation. I will leave things as is... now to just think a little and narrate a scene.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:35 pm

I almost forgot but this reminded me.

The group had enough successes in their interaction with Dody for his reward for saving his brother.

Everyone gets 1 point of treasure (mostly family silverware and such). Updating your sheets.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:42 pm

I'm thinking of turning the Easterly Inn into a Holding, and investing this 1 point of Treasure into it. Well, at least storing it there if we can't invest in it. But it would be easy (thematically) to take a place we make a Sanctuary and also invest time into it to make it a Holding (ie, Finn could perform for travelers and earn some coin, or gather lumber and work with Borir and Frier to enlarge the Inn or make improvements, etc).

Would that even be possible to do?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:55 pm

I think so, it certainly fits with the how do you make the place a sanctuary -- become partners with Dody!