Chatter: Encounters

The OOC Forum for the Tales from Wilderlands campaign using The One Ring RPG system.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:40 pm

Okay let's chat on Encounter Rules here.

Page 185 of the Revised Edition is where those rules start.

Encounter Goal
In the course of a typical encounter, the adventurers will be trying to demonstrate their good intentions to a wary audience. Sometimes they could be trying to attain a more complex objective: are they trying to intimidate the people they met? Do they want to get help from them? Are they trying to learn something? The players taking part in an encounter should decide on their purpose in the meeting, and use the guidelines below to select suitable tasks.

Most encounters entail two stages, an introduction and an interaction. A complex encounter, like being guests in a foreign court, will feature both stages and allow for several tasks and tests. A simpler encounter, like meeting a company of wandering Dwarves in a tavern, might include only the introduction, and fewer die rolls.

Assign Encounter Advantages
Before the Introduction is started, all players may make a roll of Insight to gain bonus Success dice (see Preliminary Rolls on page 151).

Introduction
At the beginning of most encounters, the companions must present themselves, generally attempting to establish their identity in a way that is appropriate to their goals. At this stage, all players must choose whether their characters prefer to introduce themselves individually, or if they want to be represented as a group by a spokesman.

While at times it could be wise to let only one companion do the talking, as it lets the group take advantage of the best speaker among the company, electing a spokesman might prevent the remaining characters from eventually taking part in the following interaction phase (see below), especially at a formal meeting.
(Then it tells what skills are of use)

Interaction
This is the main part of most social challenges, from a birthday party to a formal council. Usually, only characters who introduced themselves properly during the introduction may take an active role in the following interaction. On the other hand, characters who didn’t introduce themselves may take a more passive role, for example proposing actions using Insight or Riddle. The following skills can be used to various effect by players engaged in an interaction.
(Then it tells what skills are of use)

Evaluating the Outcome of an Encounter – Optional Rule
In addition to the rules for Tolerance, the Loremaster is advised to keep track of the number of successful rolls achieved by the player-heroes during an encounter’s Introduction and Interaction stages. At the end of an encounter, the total number of successful rolls achieved by the company can be used to determine its consequences.

• Every successful roll counts for one, while a great success equates to two successful rolls and an extraordinary result to three successful rolls. Then compare the number of successful rolls the company on the following table. 1- Narrow, 2-4 - Success, 5-6 - Great Success, 7+ - Extraordinary Success
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:41 pm

So with Gwiahir I seem to have started us off wrong. I didn't get all the way to the Evaluating part. I had thought I read that Introduction was just to really have a say in the rest of the Encounter, but I guess not.

So you guys wrack up quite a few additional successes. I believe I've done it this way in the past, but I wanted to make sure I was doing it right here, and I guess I over complicated myself and got it wrong.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:43 pm

You guys with low Courtest and Awe could just ask for Finn or Pip (3 each) to act as a party spokes men, giving RP introductions but not rolling anything and playing back seat in those situations.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:47 pm

I also have an extra bonus die, and I'm happy to pass it to the next one of you who wants to act (I suggest using a skill with at least 2 in it). Otherwise I'll use it.

Cool...glad to know that extraordinary success was not wasted (like happens with other certain kinds of rolls, like Corruption or Travel).

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:51 pm

You guys are up to 10 successes now.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:04 pm

Wow, cool.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:39 pm

It was Varuthil that offered her leechcraft to help the wounded eagle.

Just some bad rolls for Rathar.