Book 7: Act 2 - Fellowship Phase

The OOC Forum for the Tales from Wilderlands campaign using The One Ring RPG system.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Book 7: Act 2 - Fellowship Phase

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:49 pm

Okay I need you guys to post here your OOC Fellowship Phase Undertaking you want to do. Then I can get a better start of a FEllowship THread. I'll try and get the thread started up tomorrow or Friday at the latest, but help me out by putting the crunchy bits here (I can do the rolls you might need too here).
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:14 pm

Please roll for me:
- Song 4 +2 to attempt to remove Corruption
- Roll Song again, separately (I guess, unless you think it should all be rolled up into one) for Composing a Fellowship song. I'll do a cultural or situational song, so the TN to compose it goes from 16 to 14. Then it will either only be able to be sung in specific situations (while traveling, or in battle, on the water, etc), or if it's cultural, harder for outside cultures to sing it.
- Roll for tending to Holding; I think I can invoke
a trait to allow a reroll? I'm going off of memory here. I'll invoke "Merry", as Finn will be tending to the Easterly Inn by not only performing for the patrons, but keeping everyone's mood up over the winter.

Thanks!

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:48 pm

Glirion has no corruption, apparently, but I'd still like to do that undertaking to take advantage of his Waybread of the Elves ability:
Waybread of the Elves

‘It fed the will, and it gave strength to endure, and to master sinew and limb beyond the measure of mortal kind.’

Lembas appears as thin wafers wrapped in leaves, and can be compared to cram, or to the honey-cakes of the Beornings, for it is a type of waybread, created to be consumed when all else fails. You have mastered the art of preparing lembas, and can bake it for the consumption of all members of your company, should they require it.

During a Fellowship phase, if you choose the Heal Corruption undertaking using Craft and roll a success, you equip your company with the waybread of the Elves: begin the next Adventuring phase with an additional pool of Fellowship points usable exclusively during journeys, equal to your Wisdom score on a success, or twice that amount on a great or extraordinary success.
For flavor (pun intended) and if he's successful, Glirion will make it alongside his wife, Alcarien.

I assume it's just one undertaking as Glirion is returning home and not to a Sanctuary?

It looks like we spend experience and advancement points first, so I'd like to raise Craft to 3 before rolling for a better chance at a success.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:36 pm

Varuthil will:
1) Visit the Kingstone to resupply her Hope.
2) Travel long distance to boost her Travel score.
3) Talk with the elders of Thranduil's court to Search for Answers.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:46 pm

Blubbo_Baggins wrote:Please roll for me:
- Song 4 +2 to attempt to remove Corruption
- Roll Song again, separately (I guess, unless you think it should all be rolled up into one) for Composing a Fellowship song. I'll do a cultural or situational song, so the TN to compose it goes from 16 to 14. Then it will either only be able to be sung in specific situations (while traveling, or in battle, on the water, etc), or if it's cultural, harder for outside cultures to sing it.
- Roll for tending to Holding; I think I can invoke a trait to allow a reroll? I'm going off of memory here. I'll invoke "Merry", as Finn will be tending to the Easterly Inn by not only performing for the patrons, but keeping everyone's mood up over the winter.

Thanks!
Song vs Corruption: Rolled:
Feat Die: 5*
Success Die: 3,4
Totaling: 12 +2 = 14 Success (1 Shadow Healed)

Song to Compose: Rolled:
Feat Die: 8*
Success Die: 1,5
Totaling: 14 +2 = 16 Success

Holding Upkeep (not the Undertaking to Tend to Holding): Merry - Normal success, you stay at your standard of living. No extra treasure, etc.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:49 pm

Othniel wrote:Glirion has no corruption, apparently, but I'd still like to do that undertaking to take advantage of his Waybread of the Elves ability:
Waybread of the Elves

‘It fed the will, and it gave strength to endure, and to master sinew and limb beyond the measure of mortal kind.’

Lembas appears as thin wafers wrapped in leaves, and can be compared to cram, or to the honey-cakes of the Beornings, for it is a type of waybread, created to be consumed when all else fails. You have mastered the art of preparing lembas, and can bake it for the consumption of all members of your company, should they require it.

During a Fellowship phase, if you choose the Heal Corruption undertaking using Craft and roll a success, you equip your company with the waybread of the Elves: begin the next Adventuring phase with an additional pool of Fellowship points usable exclusively during journeys, equal to your Wisdom score on a success, or twice that amount on a great or extraordinary success.
For flavor (pun intended) and if he's successful, Glirion will make it alongside his wife, Alcarien.

I assume it's just one undertaking as Glirion is returning home and not to a Sanctuary?

It looks like we spend experience and advancement points first, so I'd like to raise Craft to 3 before rolling for a better chance at a success.
Craft up to 3, Craft Waybread:

Rolled:
Feat Die: 10*
Success Die: 6t,4,3
Totaling: 23 with 1 success = Um yeah okay! [Bonus Fellowship Pool of Points (for Journey's only) 6 Points] How I'll do this is just during Journey portions if you spend hope, we'll drain this Fellowship Pool first. Easier on the book keeping.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:53 pm

Muskrat wrote:Varuthil will:
1) Visit the Kingstone to resupply her Hope.
2) Travel long distance to boost her Travel score.
3) Talk with the elders of Thranduil's court to Search for Answers.
New Fellowship Phase Undertaking: Visit the Kingstone Touching the Kingstone is said to bring good fortune. Companions spending a Fellowship phase in Rhosgobel can travel to this ancient site. When heroes choose this undertaking for the first time, they recover up to three points of Hope. They will recover one point on any subsequent visits in future Fellowship Phases.

+3 Hope

Search for Answers
The character delves into books of lore, and spends long hours in conversation with the wise and the learned. Over the course of many weeks’ research, the character discovers secrets of lore related to an obscure topic. The character must have at least a rating of 1 in the Lore skill to complete this undertaking. The Loremaster may require the character to make tests of various skills (most likely Lore, Courtesy and Travel) to gain access to ancient secrets.

In this particular case, the character learns the history and nature of the Chain of Thangorodrim, and how it is said to be able to enslave the wills of others. See PM.

Lore Roll: Rolled:
SAURON
Success Die: 3,5,6t
Totaling: 14 with 1 success
SAURON = Gaze too long into the abyss and the abyss gazes back. Corruption Check: Rolled:
Feat Die: 1*
Success Die: 6t,1,2
Totaling: 10 with 1 success = Fail +1 Shadow Point

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:54 pm

What I have not done is update the sheets for spent AP/XP. You can do that (be sure to use the heroic Advancement Tab). I have updated sheets for Hope & Shadow changes.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:19 pm

@vardaen

The two song roll - you only rolled 2 dice for Finn. Can you roll 2 more? He has Song 4.

For Corruption:
Success - 2 corruption healed, Great success - 4 corruption, Extra - 6 corruption

For composing: Pg 24 Rivendell:
Great / Extra successes make the song easier for all players to sing. Default TN to sing it is 14 (goes down based on compose roll).

I wanted to do the action "Tend to Holding" since it can only be done at Year-end.
Regarding the Specialty - you can ignore the trait, since it's regarding Advancement points. I should have looked it up first. So basically, if it's OK with you, can you roll the Fate die twice and take the better result?

------------- From DoM pg 9
New Fellowship Phase Undertaking:
Tend to Holding
A character may spend a Year’s End Fellowship phase tending to his holding by choosing this undertaking.If he does so, he may roll the Feat die twice and choose the best result when determining the conditions of his property. If the hero possesses an appropriate Speciality, he additionally gains an Advancement point.

Holdings Upkeep
In the course of the last Fellowship phase of each year (Year’s End) all players whose heroes have a holding must make a roll using the Feat die.
• If the roll result is equal to or less than the holding’s rating, then the holding produces just enough wealth to keep the character at his Standard of Living. If the Loremaster deems it appropriate to the current circumstances, a result of 1 or 2 may be interpreted to mean that the character’s holding does not produce enough to cover his living expenses, forcing the hero to spend stored Treasure to maintain his Standard of Living.
• If the result is greater than the rating, then the character does not only attain his appropriate
Standard of Living but, if the holding is a property capable of producing wealth (such as an inn, or tracts of land), it earns Treasure equal to the difference between the roll and the rating.
For example, if a player rolls a 9 on a holding rated 6, he earns three Treasure that year.
• If the result is G, then good fortune strikes the hero! He gains no extra Treasure, but prospers in some other way – a sick child recovers, an old feud is settled, the weather is unusually pleasant. The rating for the holding is permanently lowered by 1 (to a minimum of 3)
• If the result is E, then the holding suffers some disaster or misfortune. If the hero does not take action in the next Fellowship phase, the holding may be destroyed or have its rating increased.
For example, a farm might be damaged by flooding or bad weather; an inn might be attacked by raiders, a gold mine might be taken over from below by Goblins.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:26 pm

Ooops! Song 4 not 2, why did I think 2?

Okay adding int 2 more dice for Corruption: 6t,2 = Great Success = 4 Shadow Healed (updating sheet)

Compose: 4,1 = Results the same, success.

Sure thing Tend to Holding added on:

Easterly Inn - Rating 7, Respectable, Min Score 3

Rolled:
Feat Die: 9*
Success Die:
Totaling: 9
-----------------------------
Rolled:
Feat Die: 10*
Success Die:
Totaling: 10 = +3 Treasure Gained