Book 1: Chapter 1 - Troubles in Tharbad

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Herbs of Quality

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:42 pm

"So, they visit different merchants on different days?" asks Halleth. "Is there some sort of trail they follow through the city as they collect their 'protection money?'"

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Herbs of Quality

Post by TetNak » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:41 am

"We only wish your friendship and freedom to ply your trade."

Aravule looks at Halleth, "We can just wait for them here. Aladil, you can stay at our encampment until it is said and done. The old prison, it happens to be." He shrugs to the truth of it.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Herbs of Quality

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:36 pm

"Till what's done? You are going to end them? I can't afford to shut down for five days, are you crazy? Look you put an end to them and I'll be grateful, I'll even, well I'll even give you a reward, but I can't shut down. You want to set an ambush for them at my place, I approve, you want to go after them before that, then even better."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Herbs of Quality

Post by TetNak » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:59 pm

"No, that is not what I meant. Earlier the day on Monday, take your leave."

Aravule listens patiently, "I will need to talk to the others, perhaps we may handle this before Monday. I know not yet. Say you, is it the same three brigands each time? Are they the only ones to rob the merchants?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Herbs of Quality

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:39 pm

"Oh yes, alright." He nods, "Yes the same three come each week to rob me. I don't know about the others, but I think so. I haven't talked to them much, most others are too timid to want to do anything about it. You know they burned down Barkwell's tannery when he didn't pay right? No one can afford that to happen to them."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Herbs of Quality

Post by Muskrat » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:59 pm

Halleth says, "Let's see what Telurin and Hartley found out before laying any plans. Once we know more, we can lay plans for an ambush. But I agree, my liege, that it makes good sense to offer shelter to the merchants at our headquarters if they need it. A generous and lordly thing to do," he says approvingly.

He turns back to Aladil and says, "Yes, we're here to make sure no one gets burned out again. We want put a stop to these attacks on honest folk who are just trying to live their lives."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Herbs of Quality

Post by TetNak » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:02 pm

"Agreed," Aravule says to Halleth, watching him speak to the merchant. "We shall return with news on our plan. I give you thanks for allowing us to assist you." He reaches out with his hand, "I am Aravule, and this is Halleth." He gives a faint smile, "Apologies for the lack of introductions."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Herbs of Quality

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:36 pm

"Good to meet you, good luck, and I really mean that!" He shakes hands and sees you off.

You head out looking for Telurin and Hartley and eventually you spy them as they appear to be lookin for you as well.

The four regroup outside some ruined buildings.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Herbs of Quality

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:48 pm

Telurin shares briefly what they have learned, the merchants who seem willing to help, the one who was too afraid, and most importantly the information about the thug who hides on the rooftops. "Is there anything else of note to add?" he asks, looking at Hartley.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Herbs of Quality

Post by Wbweather » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:55 pm

"Well, We know that they hit Nomrel up on Sundays. Aladil on Mondays, they visit Findigul on Teusdays and Ibal on Fridays. Serinde was afraid to talk to us. They apparently follow a weekly pattern. They most likely visit her shop on Wednesday or Thursday. It sounds like their next known visit will be to Nomrel. I suggest we plan to deal withth em on Sunday.'