Book 3: Chapter 2 - Into the Cold North

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Book 3: Chapter 2 - Into the Cold North

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:08 pm

Hwalda nods to Telurin, "It is not uncommon for the men or Rhuadar to work hand in hand with goblins or other things. Long ago they became our allies against the Dunedain oppressors. This does not surprise me."

Eysslt looks aghast, "Not our people Hwalda, not those of my tribe. Yes we have had unease alliances with goblins to keep our lands safe, but this? The wolves, these slaves, our children, this is more than our people ever did, or that my father would have ever allowed when he was Chieftain."

Freach comments slowly, "I do not know any of these men." Its all he will say.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:40 pm

Halleth bites his tongue at the words "Dunedain oppressors." He finds the idea offensive--but he knows it's not worth arguing the matter and, indeed, it could fracture their tenuous alliance with the Hill Men. Instead, he says, "I think Telurin may have the right of it--let's explore some more and see if we can find an easier way to where the captives are held. If that does not work, then we can try Hartley's suggestion." He thinks for a moment, then adds, "I know it is not why you came here Essylt and Freach, but my companions and I also came here to rescue my liege's kinsman. We may have to venture further in to do that anyway. But if we can easily free your kin who are prisoners here, let us start with that."

AndyDez
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AndyDez » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:02 am

"We seem to have walked these corridors and have found only this. It must be the only way forward to either of our goals, Halleth's kinsmen or the prisoners. Does this not mean we must press on? Given what we see here, is it not feasible that the children are working in a similar capacity? It would seem to me that they meant to be slaves in some dungeon further ahead. I cannot think of children treated like this, perhaps it is they who grow to work the lash for new slaves?"

Hugo gently comes alongside Hartley and peaks into the space, attempting to pick a route that would hide the company.

Whispering to Hartley, "Could our new friends pose as guards and simply walk past this chamber and we slip among the shadows and debris? Or perhaps the two of us sneak past to another cave and create a distraction that pulls the guards and goblins away so that the others may pass?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:55 pm

You have passed dozens of side passages and other chambers. Its a literal maze down here with hundreds of halls, stairs, and chambers. Its been centuries of digging and expanding by goblins and hill men, so there are certain other options if you wish to go back and try a different passage
Slipping through the chamber unseen will be difficult, not impossible, but to get all seven of you past the goblins and the task masters will prove extremely dangerous. The Hobbits on the other hand might slip through to other passages without too much trouble, the small folk are often overlooked, and it seems likely they might make it to the far side to search out other passages alone or in a pair far easier then lugging all of the big folk with them.
Do you turn around and seek another way, attempt to all me it through, or perhaps scout a bit before that, or some other option?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:45 pm

"Let us not split in separate ways," replies Telurin. "It will be difficult enough to get out of here together, with the captives, than to have to find one another on top of all the other dangers. This room was quite unexpected, but as there are no women and children here, I cannot recommend we let our presence be made known. If we are able to free the captives and upon our return find this room again and stir up trouble to free the goblins, so that the Hill-men's attention is directed upon that problem and not our escape, we should do so. Let us turn back to find another way. This is clearly not where the voices were coming from, but we may be able to use it to aid our escape."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:58 pm

Halleth nods. "If we find no other leads, we can always come back here and try to sneak or fight our way through--but for now I think Telurin has the right of it."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:16 pm

Its decided, splitting up down here is a terrible idea, as is trying to sneak through a goblin infested forge. You return the way you came, the marking you've left allowing you to keep your wits about you. "This way then..." someone says and you try another passage, listening for signs of the children or of danger. Noises draw you, it may be the sounds of the children at last! You move with care but speed, for eventually your luck is bound to run out, right? I mean it has to at some point?

You come into a series of connected chambers, at first you aren't sure what they are, then you see the cots and straw beds on the floor. Here and there you see figures, sleeping, eating, milling about. These are sleeping quarters, and all about them are slaves, workers, servants, and warriors of the Witch-servant of Carn Dum. A pair of goblins look up, gazing right at the sneaky hobbits in the lead. "ARRRRGH!" The scream is clear indication enough, you've finally been spotted!

Over half a dozen goblins spring into action, there isn't much time to think about it as they come like a wave of teeth and blades. You can't all escape at once, some of you will have to fend off the first wave before the group can escape. Some of you might be able to flee at this point, but you can see other passages, and hear other shouts and cries, including one passage that seems to lead to a stair well up, another that leads down.
Yeah, so like 30 pages later you guys finally alert some foes.

Battle: Halleth 1 Die
Hartley 2 Dice
Hugo 1 Die
Telurin 1 Die

8 Goblins

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:33 pm

"Ah, well," says Halleth, "We probably would have had to fight them anyway, since this is probably what we were looking for." He tries to take advantage of the confusion in his initial attack on the goblins.
Do we have time for an opening volley? If so, Halleth takes it.

For melee combat:
Stance: Open
Action: Attack with long sword vs. the nearest goblin--or any goblin that looks like they're in command. Spend battle die.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:50 pm

Telurin's lamp is lit the moment the goblins appear. As long as they had torchlight, he avoided its use, hoping to remain hidden from eyes that might see the light from afar. Now that they were discovered, it was best the light be put to use.

Then his small spear is off of his back and in the air at a goblin charging in.
If we get Opening Volley throwing a small spear at an incoming goblin. Roll 5, Keep 4 (Spear Mastery). If no Opening Volley, Telurin will go into Forward.

AndyDez
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AndyDez » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:44 am

Hugo steps into a position where he can employ the bow and use the lamp's light to identify their foes.
Rearward is we have opening volley and engage any target of opportunity, if not open stance and draw sword and engage any goblin in reach. Spend bonus in either case.