Prelude: The Hidden Valley

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Prelude: The Hidden Valley

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:03 pm

Once Aerondil has left the room, Halleth says, "No reason you should be in jesting mood. The elf stuck his foot in his mouth, right enough. What happened ... well, I don't have words for how awful it was." He rises. "I will leave you to rest now, My Lord, unless you want me to stay. I just wanted to let you know I was still here and ready to follow your lead."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:57 am

Aravule allows himself to speak, but he does not otherwise appear as to stir.

"If you wish to follow my lead, take a nap." That could be a jest, but then something comes over him. "The Book of Cardolan. Is it here?" Aravule remembered the crown. That memory mad his stomach turn. He wanted to forget those moments. Some he did, probably the most terrible, but not the crown falling form his grasp.

"I want you to find Vara. I heard he was false and betrayed us." Aravule saw not that himself as he fought for his own life.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:30 am

Halleth says, "Lord Elrond still has the book of Cardolan is keeping, m'lord." He pauses for a moment and says, "As for Vara, yes, he fled, along with a whole bunch of others when things went bad. As for his motives, I do not know if he was acting out of greed or simple cowardice. Either way, it was a dishonorable thing to do. But I am willing to seek him out and persuade him to return what is rightfully yours--hopefully with words, but with the blade if necessary. But, if you will, m'lord, for the moment I would rather stay here, so you have a faithful servant among these elves. I think most of them mean well, even if they are cowards, but I would feel uncomfortable leaving you alone. But if you would have me set of immediately--well, I would do that, but reluctantly."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:35 am

"Stay as you will, Halleth, but I shall travel forth myself when my strength is returned to me." Aravule rolls to his side and opens his eyes, looking up at the older ranger that served his father for many years. "Next time will be different. Next time I will leave nothing to chance. I swear it." He rolls to his back again, "We need to speak to the other noble families of the Dunedain. If I did, my line must not be extinguished."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:01 am

Halleth tries to smile, but it comes out too grim to really be anything more than a polite grimace. "You rest up, m'lord. That's the most important thing now. Once you are better, you'll be ready to plan for our next steps. But for now, I beg you to focus on mending yourself." Halleth doesn't want to say anything, but at this point, he doesn't think Aravule is thinking very clearly. He simply hopes that as his lord's body mends, so will his mind. He rises and says, "Now I think I had best leave you to rest, or one of the elven healers will natter at me about doing you more harm than good."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:30 am

Aravule does not complain or provide a contrary word to Halleth's advise. "I do not believe I could do otherwise if I wished it." The young heir takes several deep breaths and tries to will himself back to sleep. The ranger finds it a bit more difficult than he would have thought. His thoughts are troubled with the knowledge that he is the only one of his brothers that were left alive. It was a sad thought, and troubling. He could not remember everything, and what he did remember he wished that he could not.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:59 pm

Halleth sees that Aravule has turned his attention inward. Assuming that the young man will soon go back to sleep, Halleth quietly steps out of the room.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:25 am

Aravule needs more rest, but each day forward his strength returns in great bounds, his bloodline giving him a strength not found in the lesser men of Eriador.

Halleth takes his leave and slips out of the chamber and makes his way through the halls of Rivendell, finding himself in the Hall of Fire.
Let's have Halleth run into the elves in the other thread for the moment.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:47 am

Two months and nine days since the horror of Carn Dûm was unleashed.

It has been three days since Aravule woke from his long slumber, and his body has grown dramatically more healthy in that time. There is little doubt that the cause of this is the healing hand of Lord Elrond along with the medicinal tonic of Erestor that he uses. The tonic, strong and aromatic, both pungent and sweet in taste has been on Aravule's diet since he woke.

The South Vestibule overlooking the gardens of Rivendell

"...my memory reaches back even to the Elder Days. Eärendil was my sire, who was born in Gondolin before its fall; and my mother was Elwing, daughter of Dior, son of Lúthien of Doriath. I have seen three ages in the West of the world, and many defeats, and many fruitless victories."

Finally the audience with Lord Elrond has been granted for the trio seeking the wisdom and the blessing of the Half Elven. Lord Elrond is a busy elf and as such many matters have kept him busy of the course of the intervening days. Now however he has called for those that seek his council Halleth, Aerondil and Telurin Tinarthel. He waits for them in the vestibule in a low backed chair gazing out over the gardens to the east, the sun still rising in the morning light shining brightly into the chamber.

The Master of Imladris appears as neither old nor young. In his countenance is combined the wisdom of a king and the vigour of a strong warrior. He wears a circlet of silver upon his dark hair, and in his eyes are the memories of years uncounted.
Alright the three of you can begin you entrance and RP. Tet look for a PM
Last edited by Vardaen on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:48 pm

Halleth holds his tongue for the moment, not so much out of deference, as because he thinks Elrond is an arrogant bastard, who will more likely listen to his own elves than to a man. He sweeps his gaze around the room, trying to take in as much as possible, in case it might be of use later.