Prelude: The Hidden Valley

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Prelude: The Hidden Valley

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:17 am

Aerondil stands tall and proud in the chamber as he arrives with the others. With a reverent bow he speaks, "Lord Elrond, you know me, loyal servant Aerondil. May I present to you Telurin Tinarthel and the Man Halleth, whom I know you are all well aware of. I would let them speak their own introductions if they would, but we know you are busy. We have come to speak to you on a matter close to us, and I would defer to Telarin, he may be able to put it better than I."

Elrond nods back to each of you and offers you a place to sit, "Please come sit. Join me. I have heard of your recent venture, and have tended to Aravule personally. I presume you have come to speak of that, and he, and what is next for your small Fellowship on the matter of the Dunedain." He waits for you to join him and then turns his eyes on Telurin.
Last edited by Vardaen on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:30 am

Telurin makes a bow as he is mentioned, and takes a seat next to Aerondil.

"Lord Elrond, you and your sons have been most gracious to me in the days since our return. The quest led by Aravule's brothers went just as you foresaw, but I am thankful I was permitted to do what I could to protect... at least some of them. At even this task though, I did not do all I wished I had.

Nevertheless, Elladan granted me a period of leave from my duties in your guard, and time to recuperate from all that passed. For that I thank you again. I believe it is time for me to return to my regiment, though even that shall be complete by midsummer, with your blessing. I hope to return to my study as a smith, and to put the things I learned from Master Ormal Calardan into practice.

I am come to request one final reprieve from my duty, and to seek your wisdom, as you know, on the matter of Aravule's future.

As Master Healer, you know best what Aravule needs to return to a full life. I am concerned for him, though. Along with losing his family and seeing their failures, I believe Aravule has placed that same burden on his own shoulders; greater now for he will have to succeed where they failed.

It may have now come to his attention that another member of the disastrous adventure survived - Vara, the dwarf - and that the dwarf possibly has the gold that was taken out of that ruined burg. You know best what such knowledge will stir in a young man. I am concerned that when Aravule is ready to depart, he will do so with one purpose in mind - to find this dwarf and to get what he believes is rightfully his - his family's share of the treasure; weregild due from his brothers' fate. He will seek this end with all the purpose left in him, for I'm afraid it is the only thread he may feel he has to tie him to his family. He may even turn his grief and sorrow to anger, toward what from the outside could look like betrayal.

Enough - surely you know most of this and have thought on these matters. Here is what I propose - give me your leave once more, and your blessing to Aerondil and this man Halleth, to go with Aravule to seek Vara. We will not allow violence. If the dwarf is greedy, or has no sense of honor, we will curse the treasure and leave. Aravule will not be happy to leave the dwarf if this is the outcome; but he will understand that revenge will not assuage his grief, nor give him renewed purpose.

That is ultimately my concern - we cannot merely set Aravule free when he is strong and hope for the best. When your arts of healing are finished working on his body, allow Aerondil and I to see to the next stage."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:51 pm

Halleth decides that a few words of his own might help sway Lord Elrond, since Halleth is closer to Aravule than either of the elves. He bows awkwardly and does his best to be polite. He may think little of Elrond, but he knows enough not to say anything out loud. "Lord Elrond, I agree with most of what Aerondil has said. I told Lord Aravule we do not know what moved Vara to flee with our gold and it may have been simple cowardice rather than treachery. I will do my best to see that my lord does not resort to violence first." Though Halleth, unlike the elf, has no issue with resorting to it second. Almost as an afterthought, he adds, "Oh, and now that I've had a chance to meet with you all right and proper here, let me add, we are grateful for using your healing arts on Lord Aravule and letting us rest here, even if you don't like what we did."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:55 pm

Lord Elrond sits and listens making no move or statement until Telurin is finished. "You have given this much thought and your words are eloquent and well devised. They serve you as well as your spear or your smith's hammer. You have learned a great deal in your short time with us here, yet one thing you have not learned well -- the hearts of Men." He looks a moment at Halleth as if reading the man's own hearth but he continues on. "Men are fiery, ambitious and reckless. Aravule is no exception and his bloodline has proven to be the same. If you think he will seek this dwarf Vara out and not seek vengeance on him, with violence, then you have learned little in your time with Man." He holds a hand up to silence any objection from the trio, especially Halleth.

"Yet your council is sound, send with him those who trusts, and those who might try and contain his wroth and prevent his ruin. I see wisdom in this, though I also see great turmoil and much sorry. Middle-earth is filled with too much sorrow these days and I would not add to it. Nor however, will I sit idle and not try and prevent it." He looks east, far off, as if seeing something important out in the distance, something foreshadowing your venture, and he speaks, eyes looking east, soft at first, "There is another who will carry on the line...."

Snapping back to you, "When Aravule is healed, I will speak to him, and if he agrees to your accompaniment, and the terms you have suggested, then I shall release you both from your duties here so you may travel with him and hold him in the grace of the light."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:16 am

"Thank you Master Elrond. You are right, my experience with men is limited, and I believe I hold a measure of hope for them that lacks the insight of the Wise. But...even I know about the Faithful, who through the worst of trials, did not take the easy path to preserve their own lives. They were the greatest allies of the Eldar. And Aravule is of their line.

Though the three of us can do nothing to assuage his grief, nor reason with him though we find the dwarf a traitor, we can remind him of his lineage and that never was a lord a lord through gold or power. If he does not see that the kings of Men are such because they are true-hearted, faithful, and full of courage, then no matter his lineage he will never be a leader of Men.

Perhaps we should see this task in this way: Aerondil and I represent the wisdom and prudence of the Elves; Halleth the courage and faithfulness of men" (here Telurin looks at Halleth) "for you have always been dependable to his family Halleth -- the three of us are to go with Aravule as councilors. This shall be his first true test as the heir of the kings of Cardolan. Is he worthy of the title? Will he choose the same path as his father or brothers - glory and treasure above all? Or will he make a different choice?

What wisdom do you have for us then, on the road? Is there some thing or information we can bring along to help him reason with the dwarf, should Vara prove to be full of avarice?"

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:08 pm

"I will make no such deal, Lord Elrond!"

Aravule bursts into the room from behind the elves and Halleth. He appears fit, but he has deep, dark, bags under his eyes which appear sunken. He strides forward with purpose, moving as a Dunedain should. "If Vara betrayed my family, he will face judgement of a King. With my brothers' death that judgement falls to me. If the dwarf has stolen, he shall repay. This is not something I require your permission for, my Lord. Do not mistake, I am humbled and shall always be within your debt for what you have done for my family and for healing my wounds, alas the Kingdom of Carodlan must rise again, no matter the cost. That was my father's wish and so I shall see it done."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:18 pm

"Lad ... I mean, My Lord. Might I speak to you in private a bit?" He puts a hand on Aravule's shoulder and guides him out of the room and what he hopes is out of the earshot of elves, though he knows they are keen of hearing.

He whispers to Aravule, "We have few men left to us and will need all the aid we can get. I think it would be good to have Telurin and Aerondil with us. They have proven stout-hearted, at least for elves. They may be bound by Lord Elrond's command not to take vengeance, but you and I are not. It may that Vara fled in cowardice. It may be when confronted, he will see reason. Or it may he must feel the edges of our blade. But he will more likely see reason if we have the elves with us than if we two go alone. We should think about taking what help they are willing to offer, even if it is not all that we want." Halleth is aware that what he suggests involves a certain amount of deceit, but isn't overly bothered by that.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:38 pm

Lord Elrond stands resolute and silent as Aravule bursts into the chamber. He allows the man his rant and shouts, and says nothing. When Halleth pulls Aravule aside he speaks then to the elves, for their ears only in the language of the elves, (Quenya) as the men speak in private in the door way.

"Lo, my worries prove all too true yet far sooner than I had thought. All the more reason for you to not get entangled in the Doom of Carodlan. I shall withhold my judgement for the moment at least." He eyes Halleth from across the porch, wondering if the older man might bring the younger under control.
Last edited by Vardaen on Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:47 am

Telurin notices how Elrond has switched to Quenya, and replies likewise,
"I will do as you say, Lord. My heart is to watch over Aravule no matter the cost, but I will not do so against your will.

However, you have my word, and perhaps Aerondil's though I do not speak for him, that if Aravule or Halleth do not act peaceably, and the dwarf is innocent or at worst greedy, I will not support them. There is nothing that any of us can do to stop the men from seeking the dwarf. But if we do not get involved, then Aravule will surely fall to the Doom of Cardolan, as did his fathers. Halleth may fall with him. If we do join them, there is a chance, even the smallest one, that Aravule will choose wisdom over avarice. There is a chance we can prevent this doom from continuing."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:08 pm

Elrond continues, "<Quenya> My heart says that it would be good to assist Aravule further, to allow you both to go and do what you can. My head however says it will only bring trouble to him, to you, to Eriador. Long have I walked on Middle-earth...." he turns and gazes out over the porch into the lands beyond. "You are young still, and the troubles of Middle-earth are still your troubles." He takes in a deep breath and lets out a sigh, "Go with him, I give you my leave, but I fear only that you shall be spun up in his Doom. Both of you, if you wish it, and if he wishes it."