Prelude: The Hidden Valley

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Darth Bo
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: Prelude: The Hidden Valley

Post by Bo » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:26 am

Aerondil, a brooding look on his face since Aravule entered, also adds to the conversation, casting a glance at Halleth and the Cardolan heir as he speaks in elvish tongue.

"<Quenya>My heart is with Telurin in this," he says. "And it has not led me astray often in my years... " He narrows his eyes. "I am patient, and though it would be no great ill for me to stay here and tend the forges, I feel there is a part for Telurin and I to play in this tale... For good or ill?" A hint of a smile now is on his face and the brooding goes away. "Well - that remains to be seen..."
thanks for putting up w my absence. things are a little settled down now. it happens from time to time with me and I'll always try to keep the group notified via the shout box or other posts.
~Bo~

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:50 am

Telurin looks directly at Aravule, but continues speaking to the other Elves, "<Quenya>I believe we are already spun up in his doom. We were caught in this Fate the moment we first left this fair Valley to accompany him and his brethren on the ill-fated endeavour. Yet..." and as Aravule notices Telurin, the Elf switches to Westron and a smile also comes across his eyes, "But, it will be for good, Aerondil; for good, not ill."
Welcome back Bo.

V - question - shouldn't Aravule have some temporary shadow from all that has happened? Not meaning to penalize, just thinking out loud. Or was it removed/healed under Elrond's care?

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:18 pm

Aravule isn't so easily guided. He shrugs off the older Ranger and watches the elves speak in their own tongue. He frowns, frustrated.

As he turns, he looks back to the older ranger and says, "Gather our things, leave the book here in case of the worst. It cannot be lost. We are leaving."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:00 pm

I'm saying Elrond healed it, so that everyone starts off mechanically the same. I think the RP is covering things nicely without it at this point.
Elrond nods slowly to Telurin and Tharadrim, "Do as you will then, I give you both leave from my service. I only pray to the Valar that it will not lessen you or bring Doom upon you or he."

The lord of Imladris then turns his gaze on Aravule and the men, as the young Dunedain speaks to leave Elrond calls out to him. "Is this the thank you that my services have earned from you son of Arafael? Are you to leave my home in wrath and anger after convalescing under my personal care without so much as a handshake for all that I have done? Would you leave your most precious artifact in my trust, but not give me your appreciation for your very life? Has the line of Cardolan come to this? Is this what Arafael envisioned for his son, for his line, for his people?" He stands there, a true elf lord, all his presence fills the room, the millennium of years radiating from him as the sun in the east blazes behind him on the open porch.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:58 am

Aravule turns and looks upon Lord Elrond. He is not longer so quick to be glib in his presence. "My Lord, I have already given you my thanks. You are a wise Lord, certainly, and skilled more than any man could be in your arts and crafts. Your lives extended beyond knowing, how could you not be wise or skilled?" The man takes a deep breath, "I owe you my life. I have said that. What my father wanted was the Kingdom of Cardolan restored. In the world outside of your secret kingdom, that can only be done with coin to feed people that would restore it. If the dwarf has stolen, he must repay." Aravule bows his head in reverence, but remains firm on his own duty.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:19 am

Halleth frowns deeply as Aravule shrugs off his council. The lad's spirit had obviously recovered, but he still seemed to be lost deep in a black mood. Halleth wondered if it would not be good for them to remain in Rivendell longer, until the darkness had lifted from Aravule's soul--but Halleth also suspects that little he said at this point would sway Aravule one way or another. For better or for worse, he would accompany his lord and hope he could keep him from doing anything too rash.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:05 pm

Lord Elrond looks at the other three then at Aravule, "It is no longer your life I worry for Aravule, but your soul. Do not leave my house in anger or in haste. Vengence only brings suffering and pain. If you value what I've done for you then you will do something for me for I loved your father and would not see his son race to ruin." He motions at the elves, "Telurin and Tharadrim both have expressed desire to assist you further, as they did your father. Go with them, listen to their council, heed their words and perhaps in the end you will find what you seek and avoid the Doom of your forefathers from Cardolan."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:05 pm

"I have no doubts about Aravule, Master Elrond. His family had noble ambitions; the Dunedain do not have a fair valley to call home as the Elves, or a protected realm in the Wood as my folk. His father provided work for many men who needed it, and vision and purpose that has not been seen in the North for quite some time.

Would he and his older sons stayed at home, they would still be alive today. Well fed, and happy, while the Shadow held its grip in the North. They failed at achieving their vision, but only because it was a vision far greater than they, one unlikely to come to full fruition in their short lives.

Aravule...you hold to that vision of greatness with a passion that rivals, and perhaps excels, that of your father's. Temper your valour with Elrond's wisdom, and we will surely live to see the cold hand of the Shadow release its grip, even a little, on these lands."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:52 am

"The Shadow grows, even I can see that."

Aravule steps forward and bows to Lord Elrond. "It is not vengence I seek, my Lord, but justice. For my brothers who lost their lives attempting to bring my father's wishes to life." He turns his head ever-so-slightly, "I do not leave in anger, I leave with a heart filled with purpose. My actions will not make my Lord ashamed to have known me and called me friend, I should hope. I only wish to find this dwarf and see the truth of what happened. There are many lingering questions that require answers."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:50 pm

Erlond spares the rare smile to Aravule, "I am pleased to hear your words Aravule. Justice comes in many forms, remember that pity and compassion are as important as any traits when it comes to such things." He motions at the elves, "They have expressed their desire to see this venture through with you, from what your father started to what you will finish. Have them accompany you, heed their council, and you will leave here with the blessing of my house."