Prelude: The Hidden Valley

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Prelude: The Hidden Valley

Post by Muskrat » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:45 pm

Halleth quietly breaths a sigh of relief. They are more likely to be successful in their goals if they have the two elves along. And he grudgingly admits to himself that he is appreciative of the sanctuary Elrond provides, even if the elf lord spends too much time hiding in it--he would not want to alienate Elrond so much that they could not return here, when needed.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:36 pm

With a slight nod, Aravule takes a step back. "I will prepare for the journey. Lord Elrond, I would ask you to keep the book of my fathers' of Caldoran safe. I cannot think of a safer place than Rivendell."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Elrond nods back to Aravule, "I shall continue to preserve the legacy of the Dúnedain as I always have. Númenór's history remains alive here for all times." He then dismisses the group as a whole to prepare for your trip.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:26 am

It takes time to prepare for the trip, first are supplies, and second are plans. The group has gathered two days after speaking to Lord Elrond in the courtyard that will take them out of Rivendell and into Eriador. Supplies are packed and ready, everyone has what they think they might need.

Standing in the gardens taking one last look at The Last Homely House west of the mountains and east of the sea you turn now to your new company. Someone says, "Let's go over the plan once more...."
You can just sort of recap what the plan is, or make it up here, then we can set out. I'm assuming you head west to seek information from either the Dunedain or Breefolk in the Bree area.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:34 am

Telurin looks over Erestor's fine map of Eriador, carefully maintained by the Loremaster.

"Where exactly was Vara from? I cannot recall it now. He could have gone over the Mountains, east, but I think it will be faster if we simply follow the Old Road west for some leagues. If a Dwarf with a cart of gold passed that way, not only will the road show it, but some travelers may likely have seen it. If there is no sign of him, then we won't have risked the treacherous passes needlessly. What say the Rangers?"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:05 am

Halleth says, "Take a cart of gold east, across the goblin-infested Misty Mountains? He would have to be a great fool to do that. Not to mention display far more bravery than we have any reason to think he has. I would think he'd head for safety and head west on the Old Road to the dwarf holdings in the Blue Mountains. And, as you say, folks along the road are like to have seen him."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:16 pm

Aravule looks a the map for a moment, finally placing his finger down on the town of Bree.

"My brothers contracted the dwarf here. I do not know if he hailed from Ered Luin or is a refugee of Erebor. I was not privy to many of the negotiations. But I agree with Halleth, he will go toward safety. Bree, and then perhaps Ered Luin after. We should start in the town. If he is in Bree, we will know. The people there are loose tongued. He won't evade us for long."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:38 pm

"That seems like a good place to start. We shall follow your lead."

Pausing a moment, Telurin collects his thoughts as they consider the journey,

"Allow me to suggest two ways we can possibly have a better response from Vara. First, is there something we can bring that will give us more trading power with the Dwarf? Be it information, an invitation to consult the smiths of Rivendell (I am sure Aerondil would be happy to arrange this), or something else that Vara would find valuable?
Second, more importantly, if we find him, we must approach him not as if we have caught him in betrayal, but that we are bringing the good news that the Lord of Cardolan still lives, and that Vara can uphold the agreement made with your brothers."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:48 pm

"I won't barter with the dwarf, if that is what you are saying, Telurin." Aravule shakes his head, "On the second point, I agree. If he is willing and eager to hand over what belongs to Cardolan, I am happy for it." He looks over the map, "Now let us plan this trip."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:57 pm

"Aye," says Halleth, "We are asking the dwarf for what is ours by right and the House of Cardolan has too little left to barter away in return for their own property. But if we can offer him something that will cost the heir of Cardolan nothing, such as being able to consult with the smiths of Rivendell ... I see no harm in that. Indeed, we shall we have one of the smiths of Rivendell with us," he says, clapping Aerondil on the shoulder.