Prelude: The Hidden Valley

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

So Says the King

Post by Muskrat » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:11 pm

Halleth looks shocked when Aravule throws Nalir overboard and breaths a sigh of relief Telurin rescues him. He would have gone against his liege in this and is glad he does not have to. As they pole towards the prison, Halleth looks on Aravule and broods. Clearly, the loss of his father and brothers has left a deep mark on Aravule's soul and the man is deeply troubled. Halleth is at a loss of what to say to Aravule, but vows to ruminate on the matter.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

So Says the King

Post by Wbweather » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:32 pm

Harltey looks at Aravule. Something is troubling the man but his thoughts are unreadable. "My lord, I will follow you and fight for you freely as I believe your cause is just, but it has been nearly a thousand years since the last of the kings of old reigned over us. It will take time to convince folks that they need a king again. A king like your forefathers."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

So Says the King

Post by TetNak » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:44 pm

"Aye," Aravule actually agrees with Hartley, "We must sway people with deeds, not words." He begins gathering his pack, ready to make landfall once the Dunlending boy has returned.

"That is why a gift of goods might sway them to a neutral stance. If we can sway them in such a way, all the better. I wish to raise these people up out of squalor."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

So Says the King

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:17 pm

"I shall leave the bargaining to you," replies Telurin, indicating he will stand back with the goods while the others speak with the Dunlendings.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

So Says the King

Post by Wbweather » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:02 pm

"That is a noble pursuit. I just hope that they are not too content in their squalor.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Meeting with the Dunlendings

Post by Vardaen » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:01 pm

The group disembarks and a few minutes later Bradan and the leader of the Dunlendings here in Tharbad. Fearghas was his name, not that he ever told you but you heard Bradan mention it. He arrives with half a dozen of his barbaric warriors around him. The Dunlending strides up to about ten feet from your small group and looks down at the rafts. "Ah ha! You plunder good! A good haul from the Stumps I see." He spits into the water and struts up closer, "You come back, Bradan says to have words for me. So? What are they?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:48 pm

"We'd like to negotiate a trade with you," says Halleth. "We'd like to make the old prison our headquarters, in return for a share of the goods we've recovered."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:33 pm

Aravule steps forward in his majesty, pulling himself up to look very important and as much as he can, regal. "Not plunder, the dwarf, or stumps as you call them, stole from us. We have taken this as our repayment." The heir of Cardolan takes a deep breath, "This place you live, would you be willing to negotiate a trade for the jail. We would like to take responsibility for it. We would share it with you, if you could come to terms ..." Aravule reminded himself to keep the negotiations simple at first.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:36 pm

Fearghas looks over at the old building, its crumbling and in bad shape, but still its very much usage. He returns his gaze to Aravule, "Yes, we can make a trade, make alliance as well. Your people and mine. Bradan has been a good guide yes? Come then, shall we sit around the fire and talk?" He motions back to the camp and his fire.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Aegor
Level 10
Level 10
Title: Subculture of One
User Class: Scum

Post by Aegor » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:57 pm

Aerondil had his hood up. he observed mainly - since elves were strange for these men, and they did not favor strange things - it would appear.

So he kept on the side and devoted himself to observing the surroundings for any oddity.
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.