Prelude: The Hidden Valley

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Meeting with the Dunlendings

Post by Vardaen » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:15 pm

Fearghas laughs at Aravule, "We are no fishwives or farmers! We are warriors!" The man wipes the grease from his venison covered fingers on his pants. "Let me see the Stumpy weapons, and we can talk trade. Tools too would be good, hammers and axes?" He nods, and speaks a few sentences to his fellows who seem to agree with him about whatever he's said.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:22 pm

Aravule is straight faced, waving behind him. "Bring in a few of the weapons to show Fearghas."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:05 pm

Telurin takes some of the supplies they've unloaded and carries them to the Dunlending chief. "They are mostly tools, but here is an axe or three." He shows them to Fearghas.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:20 pm

"Even warriors need to eat," points out Halleth. "Just because you farm or fish does not mean you cannot also train for war. Indeed, the better food you have, the heartier a warrior you will be." Halleth thought here of the Rohirrim, but knowing how little love was lost between the Dunlendings and the Horse Lords, decided it would be better not to mention them.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:25 pm

"If the fellow that rules from the island were to be gotten rid of, then certainly your people would gain some prestige, especially if you helped play a part in his downfall."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:22 pm

Fearghas stands up and takes one of the axes. There are in fact several weapons among the dwarven gear, bows, axes, hammers, and a few long spears. He inspects the steel head of the axe, "This is fine." He looks at Halleth, and then points at the roasting deer. "We know how to hunt, and twigs and berries are all fine for the children or in a stew, but its red meat that makes a warrior!" He comments to his men and they all laugh along with him.

"I have no desire to stand against the one on the Isle. He leaves us be, for the most part. If he is gone, all the better for Dunland, if he is here, then I know my boundaries. We roam the wilds, Tharbad is home for now, but won't be for always. We come or go, as the hunt demands." He points at the axe and lays it over his lap. "You give me all the Stumpy weapons, and the buildings are all yours."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:19 pm

Aravule does not see the need to argue with the Dunlending. He knew a way to turn him to his will, but he let it go. It might serve to put the man in a rage and it wasn't called for. "Deal," he says, "If you allow Braden to work for us for the time being. Perhaps weeks. We shall take care of his meals and such. But we may need a guide further. What do you say?" Aravule extends his hand to seal the greeting with a shake.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:52 pm

Halleth feels like kicking Hartley, thinking the hobbit has been too forward on proposing what the Dunlendings would certainly see as a very risky proposition. The hobbit meant well, but was still very naive. He sighed with relief when Fearghas basically shrugs off the idea and accepts their offer of weapons and other goods for the island. "Well, I will not you nay if you wish to stick to hunting," he says. "And I'm glad to see we're dealing with someone reasonable."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:03 pm

Fearghas nods, "Bradan may do as he pleases, if he likes, it is fine with me I am not his mother." He smiles, and then leans back. "Good food, new allies, new weapons, now all we need are some women! Arhar!" He makes a lurid gesture as if a woman was here and then shakes his head disappointed there aren't any among his warriors. "You find us some good women and we can be best friends!"

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:07 am

Telurin is thankful for a quick trade, knowing that there is a lot of work before them to put together any kind of true resistance. He has little to add to the discussion, but after they have sat for a while longer, asks Fearghas if he or some of his men will be so kind as to show them around the buildings.