Prelude: The Hall of Fire

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Darth Bo
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: Prelude: The Hall of Fire

Post by Bo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:17 pm

Aerondil nods. "I did speak briefly to Barahir two nights ago in this very place," he says, gesturing to the Hall of Fire and its comforting atmosphere. "But we exchanged little more than pleasantries as he seemed to be in no small amount of haste." His brow furrows. "No - his wife was not with him."

Aerondil gives a slight shrug with his broad smith's shoulder as he stands to go and seek out Elrond or Elladan, as Telurin suggests. "Perhaps Barahir is here on nothing more than a diplomatic journey, bringing tidings from lands far away."

He extends his hand to help Telurin from his chair. "Come, I will follow you to Lord Elrond or his son." He smiles. "Our work is never done and my father used to say that too much lounging about will weaken the mind and soften the spirit."
sorry about the delay. lots of RL stuff going on for Bo right now!
~Bo~

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:27 am

The pair of elves, both similar, and yet different, have come up with a plan of action, one they hope will rebuild spirit and trust, and set some wrongs right. As they ready themselves to leave the Hall of Fire and seek out Lord Elrond they spy Halleth, a man of the company of Aravule wandering into the Hall having just come from the bedside of the Dunedain.
Before you move on, look its Halleth!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:42 am

Seeing the Ranger, Telurin turns from their original course directly up the stairs to the balcony, toward the south passageway from where Halleth entered the Hall.

"Halleth, welcome back to Rivendell. I assume you have come to see your Lord? And how is he? I get the impression from Aerondil that he is beginning to be lively again."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:00 pm

Halleth pauses to consider Telurin's question. His face, beneath his great red beard, is grim and thoughtful. "He is sorely wounded in the spirit as well as the body, but I think we will recover. I think he means to set things right, if he can." He stops to consider whether to say anything further, but decides that, even if the elves don't agree with their course of action, they are unlikely to keep Aravule prisoner. They seem to have no stomach for that sort of thing--whether that was a sign of cowardice or generosity, Halleth was undecided. "He would like to pay a visit to Vara, who abandoned us and took much of what rightfully belongs to my lord with him."

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Darth Bo
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Bo » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:45 pm

Aerondil rises and gives Halleth a polite nod of his head as he and Telurin engage him on conversation. "At our meeting not long ago it's clear to me that Aravule will be out of bed and on the move again before long. His spirit is certainly kindling...." The elf give a slight smile at the corners of his mouth

He nods. "I think I'm not along in saying we would like answers, too. I only hope that Aravule does not rush to action before considering all options. He has all the resources here available for counsel. I do hope he uses them."
~Bo~

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:35 am

"It is interesting that you mention that Dwarf, Halleth. For he was just the subject of our conversation. I can tell you this much - we want to support Aravule; we care about seeing the lad not only on the road to recovery, but with renewed purpose in his life. But, we will not be able to support him without at least the permission of Elrond; at least, I will not; my spear is sworn to my Lord. And this endeavor will not be permitted by him if there is any hint of greed or vengeance.

I believe the Master of the House, or one of his sons, will see the wisdom in speaking with the Dwarf, even for closure. But I bet I can tell you what his counsel will be: The quest of Aravule's brethren was a fool's errand in the first place, and no weregild is due them... they risked their own lives and knew their peril. However, I would permit (nor could I prevent) Aravule to seek the Dwarf. But I know the hearts of dwarves and if the boy even finds this one, it is doubtful he will be received with sympathy, and I fear the combination of the boy's grief and Vara's greed.

That is likely to be the response we get. However, I have a plan. If Aerondil and I speak with Elrond, and explain that it is wiser to permit this to go forward under our watchful eyes, and to ask Aravule to promise he will not threaten the Dwarf. It is certainly better than outright forbidding the young Ranger, who will just ignore Elrond and seek vengeance instead. I truly believe that if Elrond thinks we can help Aravule by overseeing this, he will perhaps not merely allow it but support it."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:41 pm

Halleth considers there words in silence briefly. He doesn't trust Master Elrond--Halleth considers him a coward for staying in the safety of Rivendell--but these elves aided his liege in his quest and were willing to leave the safety of Rivendell. He is inclined to give them the benefit of a doubt and view them as more stout-hearted than their kin. He says, "Well, I'm sure My Lord Aravule will appreciate any aid you can lend him. Whether or not going to Carn Dum or not was a fool's errand, what's right is still what's right and Vara still ran off with what was due my lord. If he hardens his heart against what's right ... well, I can't say what My Lord Aravule will do, but greed should not stand in the way of justice. If you can get Lord Elrond to lend his support, then maybe Vara will be more willing to see reason."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:03 pm

"Whether or not Elrond lends his support, I believe it right for Aravule to seek Vara. But whether or not he has been betrayed by him is yet to be seen. What if Vara ran for his life, and later would have sought Aravule had he known he lived? What if the dwarf could not find our fair Valley? Considering these two things, it is a matter of course that he hasn't come to return the treasure that does not belong to him. The only thing he can be accused of is a lack of bravery; we shouldn't be surprised at that...he was only a dwarf! Dwarves are quite dour when it comes to Orcs, but the Undead is another matter.

All this to say, we must withhold judgment until we have spoken to him. Perhaps there is no injustice here, and Vara will be willing to share. Perhaps not; but Aravule must approach him with fairness. Getting the treasure at any cost will only bring a curse.

When Aravule feels well, Elrond will give him leave to go wherever he wishes. But without Elrond's permission, I cannot support Aravule as I desire, and I don't believe Aerondil would lightly go against our Lord's command either, though he perhaps could do so. I don't share this with you all lightly, but I feel it is my duty to help Aravule, through thick, or thin."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:13 pm

Halleth claps his hand on Telurin's shoulder in a friendly gesture. "You're a good one, Telurin. I appreciate that you're willing to stick you're neck out, when so many elves are not. You too, Aerondil." He seems unaware his comments on elves in general might be offensive. "I understand you cannot go against the will of your lord, but I'm glad you came with us to Carn Dum and I'm glad you're willing to stand with us when we pay Vara a visit. And I think you're right--Vara's only crime may be cowardice. I told Lord Aravule as much. If we can resolve our differences with Vara without bloodshed, so much the better. I'd rather save my blade for the servants of the Enemy."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:13 pm

"I am an unusual Elf, considering most of my kin are far from here, and I serve not my own King, but Elrond.

But some day you will see that there is value in wisdom as much as in valour, and that without the wisdom of Elrond or the people of this fair valley, there would be few safe places left in the world.

As you know, I am myself the youngest of three brothers. I fought and patrolled alongside them for many years. I saw them in peril many a time, but we always came through. That was due to wisdom. Nevertheless, I can only imagine what it would be like to lose them, and so I am driven to do all I can for our young leader.

So, what say you? Let us go and see where the Lord or his sons are."