Prelude: Boarders of Breeland

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Hippoboy
Level 0
Level 0

Re: Prelude: Boarders of Breeland

Post by Hippoboy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:01 am

"Hm, I suppose they do not look to friendly. But perhaps I can at least find out more about whats going on. They might not even notice me" Conrad says with a smirk.

"Stay here, let me see what I can find out."

*Conrad attempts to sneak down the ridge along the brush as quietly as he can.*

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:44 pm

Macey looks over at her brother, "Don't do anything stupid."

Conrad then doubles back around the ridge to where the slope is much more gentle and arrives in the forest at its base. Then moving as only hobbits tend to move he slips through the trees. Eventually the others spy him from above as he creeps up closer and closer to the dwarf camp.

While Conrad is moving around and down through the woods the dwarves pack up some of the tents, and the three of them head off out of the small clearing moving west leaving Vara there sitting on the ground rubbing his jaw.

By the time Conrad sneaks up to the edge of the clearing only Vara is left.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Jaceyfox
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jaceyfox » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:16 am

Kol had been keeping watch as Conrad silently made his way towards the camp. His irritation with Benton holding him back had subsided with Macey's words shaming him into compliance.

"Looks clear. Let's get a little closer." he says in as convincing a tone as he can muster. His eyes still dart to Macey hoping to find approval on her face.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:40 pm

Macey nods, "Alright, let's go down, if this Vara gives us any trouble I hope you can handle him."

Benton shakes his head, "No thank you. I'll stay right here... if you get yourselves killed or worse I'll tell your parents for you. I'm not going down there, those Dwarves might come back."

Macey sighs, "Fine stay here, go get help if we get into trouble."

Benton nods.

So the two creep down the hill and around but before they can get there Conrad is on the edge of the camp watching Vara. Vara get's up to his feet, rubbing his jaw, and moves toward his tent that's left and goes rummaging about inside for something.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Hippoboy
Level 0
Level 0

Post by Hippoboy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:08 am

Conrad can't seem to wait for the dwarf to produce something from the bag. He steps out from the brush and exclaims "Hello there!" waving his hand in the air.

"That was a fine brawl. It seemed a little unfair, all of them versus the one of you. But where I are my manners? I'm Conrad!"

Conrad bows with his greeting, as polite hobbits do. However he was unsure if this dwarf was then going to produce a cloth or a sword from the bag he was digging in.

Jaceyfox
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jaceyfox » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:45 pm

Seeing Conrad step out of his cover, Kol curses under his breath and whispers to his companion. "Macey, stay close and stay hidden."

Picking up his own pace now, Kol hurried to join Conrad; his plan now was to stand in support of Conrad and look as big and imposing as he could. Not intimidating persay, but formidable. His right hand rested on his longsword as a precaution.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:55 pm

Macey nods to Kol and ducks into the bushes and stays there.

Conrad steps out into the clearing and greets Vara. The dwarf spins on him, startled and surprised he drops whatever he was grabbing out of the tent and reaches for the small knife on his belt.

Then Kol steps up behind Conrad and the pair of men gaze on the short, but stocky dwarf. Vara's hand rests on his knife, but he relaxes some as he sees who you are, 'kids' in his mind. "You saw that? He sucker punched me or else it would have gone a lot differently!" He tries to explain his situation some, "What do you want? I have nothing left if you are here to try and rob me, that bastard Nalir took anything of value I had."

Hippoboy
Level 0
Level 0

Post by Hippoboy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:32 am

"My my, that was not a very nice thing to do at all!" Remarks Conrad, with disgust in his voice.

"Why did those nasty dwarves do such a thing to you?" He asks.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:53 pm

Welcome back! Jaceyfox you with us still?
Vara sizes up Conrad and decides the Hobbit isn't here to rob him. Dusting himself off a bit still he is silent for a long while, but then something in him opens up to these two young Breefolk. Perhaps they have trusting faces, perhaps Vara just needs to vent, to get it out there for the world to hear. "They are greedy bastards that's why. For gold, tainted gold if you ask me! Its brought me nothing but trouble since it came into my hands. I say good riddance to it, let it be Nalir's problem now!" He paces about his camp and looks at the shambles it is in, "But he didn't have to take my mule. That upsets me more than anything, that was a fine mule."

Then he sits down at the fire dejectedly. He looks at the pair again, "You can call me Vara if you have a mind to. I didn't catch your names?" He continues on as your introduce yourself. "The mule was loaded up with what was left of the ill gotten gold of an expedition of some rangers I took on. An expedition that ended in death and darkness for everyone involved. It was folly, Carn Dûm is no place for living folk to travel too. It matters not now. Its over. What wasn't lost in the lone-lands, or taken by trolls and goblins, was just stolen from me by Nalir and his company. Its out of my hands now."

Hippoboy
Level 0
Level 0

Post by Hippoboy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:53 am

"Ill gotten gold?" Conrad asks. "I would consider chasing down that dwarf who robbed you, just because it doesn't seem right. Please tell us more of this expedition."