Prelude: Boarders of Breeland

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Prelude: Boarders of Breeland

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:46 pm

Image Bree was the chief village of the Bree-land.... Besides Bree itself,
there was Staddle on the other side of the hill, Combe in a deep
valley a little further eastward, and Archet on the edge of the Chetwood.
Lying round Bree-hill and the villages was a small country of fields
and tamed woodland only a few miles broad.
Two months and six days since the horror of Carn Dûm was unleashed. July 28th, 2954.

Kol was a young man, even by the standard of Men, but he had grown up fast as trouble had struck his family at a young age. Bree was a boring place for most young men to grow up in, Combe, the small town east of Bree was even worse. Farming and herding, those were the hot topics, perhaps some forestry with the timber men of the Chetwood. That however doesn't excite men with wanderlust.

Kol was one of those young men who needed excitement, and Combe was not the place to scratch his itch. A dwarf venture had come through, seeking some sell swords, a handful of men from Bree went along, but Kol missed his chance. A good thing too for rumors were that dwarf, Vara, was back in town after a terrible disaster.

Kol's friends, were talking all about it. Today the group of friends were gathered up at their old haunt, a fishing hole in the valley, of one of the many little streams that eventually found its way to the Midgewater. He companions had invited Kol to join them.

Pacing back and forth was Benton, he was a year younger than Kol, his parents owned a farm, like most, and he worked that farm of course. Short cut hair, his pants always had holes in the knees, and his boots were never well tended. His family was struggling recently with a bad crop, and he always worried about one thing or another.

Sitting on the edge of the fishing hole, legs dangling over the rock was Macey Longhole, a Hobbit who's family had until recently lived in Staddle, but because of a scandal with her older sister and a boy from the Sandheaver family, moved out to Combe to try and escape the rumor mill. Macey was always smiling, her feet were curly haired, and her cheeks round and rosy just about any time of year. She was the elder of the group and had a rock in her hand and tossed it into the water. "Calm down Benton, I'm sure Kol will be here in a few minutes."

Benton wasn't so sure, "Maybe we should forget this, this is a bad idea. I'm going home...."

Just then Kol arrived...
Welcome to the game Jaceyfox, sorry for the delay. We'll run your solo intro until we weave into the other thread.
Last edited by Vardaen on Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Jaceyfox
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Prelude: Boarders of Breeland

Post by Jaceyfox » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:50 pm

"You're probably right." A voice called out, full of mirth. "But then when did we ever listen to sense and reason?"

Kol stepped out from behind the foliage that had been keeping him obscured from sight, but not before he had dropped his travelling gear and hidden it within the deep grass. His huge bow remained on his back and his sword at his side but he believed this would not betray his purpose; he oft walked with such arms. He had determined this was as good a day as any to set out on his adventure. Whether or not he was going to tell his friends about his impending departure, he had yet to decide. He imagined Benton would do his best to dissuade him and warn him of the myriad of dangers that would be waiting for him on the road. Macey, he felt, would more than likely try to tag along. While he was hardly averse to her company, he felt it would be a rather impractical arrangement. It was with these thoughts on his mind that he strode towards his friends, a warm smile on his face.

He claps Benton on the shoulder, sneaks him a wink then turns to Macey and throws himself into an overly-elaborate bow. "So dare I ask what fine mischief mi'lady Longhole might have conjured up for us on this finest of days?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:06 pm

Benton jumps, taken by surprise, "Don't do that! You know I have a weak heart! Could scare me half to death!" He is always complaining about something.

Macey smiles, "There you are! What did you stop at the The Bawdy Boar for a drink before coming out here!" She motions Kol to join us, "Come on sit down, and apologize to Benton he's a bundle of nerves now since the rumors started."

Benton throws his hands up, "These aren't rumors and you knot it! Its far more dangerous and real than some old lady gossip circle."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Jaceyfox
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jaceyfox » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:55 pm

A small grunt escapes Kol as he sits next to the rock seating Macey. His hands instinctively reach for his bow and he begins fiddling with the drawstring. In truth, Kol hadn't really heard any new rumours in quite a time. He had been too busy plotting his own journey and finding able help to support his sister. It had been one of the reasons he'd elected to come visit his friends today; a pang of guilt he felt from perhaps neglecting their companies.

"Apologies Benton, y'know I have a bad memory when it comes t'your weak heart! You'll have to remind me quicker next time."

Kol sets aside his Longsword and Bow and lies prone, arms folded beneath his head.

"I haven't supped in the Boar since....well, the less said about that the better." He shudders for effect, before continuing. "But any road, don't keep me in suspense. What rumours are upsetting our good friend Benton today? Is the Goblin-Ghost still stealing your socks? Or is the Archet Cider going up again?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:13 am

Benton scowls, "Its that dwarf! That dwarf Vara is back in town. You know the one you were so keen to join up."

Macey nods to confirm, "Not just that but word is that its just Vara that returned, that the whole expedition was lost in the mountains, but that Vara came back with a wagon load of gold."

Benton rubs his face and paces back and forth, "Ridiculous really, how coudl oen dwarf bring a whole wagon back with him and why come here."

Macey points at Benton, "Now hush, some of those rumors are true and you know it! You know its true because..."

Benton lowers his head and interrupts her, "Don't do it Macey...you know how Kol is."

Jaceyfox
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jaceyfox » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:28 am

At the mention of Vara's name, Kol jolts upright. His eyes are wide and attentitive as Benton and Macey fill him in on Vara's mysterious return. Getting to his feet, Kol picks up his armaments and straps them to his body. He quickly dusts off a few blades of grass that are sticking to him and turns to face Benton, frowning at him slightly.

"My memory is failing me again, Benton. Just *how* am I?" he shakes his head, turning now to face Macey. "It's true because.....? Maybe I should go visit Vara right now, get the full story from the horses' mouth?"

And with that Kol begins walking backwards, arms outstretched, a small smirk on his face.

"C'mon, walk and talk."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:39 am

Benton sighs, "See! I told you Macey, he would want to race off and find the dwarf. This is just how you are, you are too impulsive, to ready to leave. Why are you so eager to get mixed up with outsiders, nothing ever good comes of it. You know what my Dad says about those Rangers, nothing but trouble, because they aren't Breelanders like you and me. Neither is this Vara dwarf."

Macey is just smiles and she stands up, "Lighten up Benton. Its true because we found his camp!" She smiles ear to ear now, "Well I should say Benton did, he won't tell me where it is, but I thought the two of us could get it from him!"

Jaceyfox
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jaceyfox » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:14 am

Kol stops walking. He pauses for a moment, wordlessly considering both Benton and Macey. He brings his hands together in a prayer-like fashion and smiles at Benton; his smile slowly breaks into a chuckle which in turn becomes raucous laughter. "I spend nineteen years in and around Bree looking here, there and everywhere for a modicum of adventure or excitement.....and you Benton, my friend...." He says, wiping away a tear. "Why, you stumble into a Dwarven treasure-horde on your way from....well, I suppose that's the question isn't it?"

A little sigh escapes Kol as he begins pacing back and forth, his gaze flitting between between his two friends. "I get what you're sayin', Benton. But come on, two stout and sensible men of Bree? What's the harm in knowing what happened? ....and maybe sneaking a peak of that treasure?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:00 am

Benton almost chokes at the suggestion he was coming from someplace he shouldn't have but he quickly passes that over. "I don't know, what if the dwarf is angry or greedy. You know the stories of the dwarves and their gold. I wouldn't want to get caught and ..." he shudders.

Macey rolls her eyes, "Are you Breefolk Benton or are you some Shireling!" The hobbit clearly thinks the Breeland Hobbits are better than their cousins in the Shire.

"Fine! Fine, fine. I'll show you. Come on." He leads the trio out of the fishing hole and off into the wilds...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:32 am

Before the trio can get twenty paces down the trail the noise of someone approaching can be heard. Whom ever it is is humming to themselves as they approach, so move with no consider. A moment later a short hobbit figure appears from around the bend.

Benton nearly has a heart attack, he's a bit high strung after all, "Conrad! By the Chetwood you scared me!"

There is Conrad Longhole, Macey's brother and co-conspirator on many a venture with this crew, and that completes the quartet of friends.
Welcome Hippoboy, why don't you do an intro post, you can can RP a bit and then we will move on.

I could use an image for Conrad and you can post to the Fellowship thread.
http://brennor.dyndns.org/rpg/Forums/vi ... =7609.html