Prelude: Boarders of Breeland

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Hippoboy
Level 0
Level 0

Re: Prelude: Boarders of Breeland

Post by Hippoboy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:57 am

"Sorry to have startled you Benton! I am surprised these lumbering feet of mine are so quiet!"

Conrad looks over to his sister. "Macy, there you are. I was worried sick!" He steps over and gives her a perfectly Hobbit sized hug.

"Now, what sort of trouble are we off to today lads?" Conrad asks with excitement in his voice.

Jaceyfox
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jaceyfox » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:19 am

"Aye, pleasure to see you too Conrad." Kol remarks, irritation evident in his tone. "We're off to satiate my curiousity and find Benton's courage. Y'coming?"

His thick arms are folded and his foot impatiently taps at the floor. Patience was not one of Kol's virtues, it would be fair to say. Certainly not with a dwarven treasurehoard awaiting his inspection and a story of either tragedy or adventure to be learned.

Hippoboy
Level 0
Level 0

Post by Hippoboy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:09 am

"Kol! I can see that you are clearly waiting for something, and I would be amiss if I didn't give it to you."

Conrad walks up as menacing, and straight as he possibly can to Kol. Then as he stands before the tall man (in comparison), Conrad falls forward giving Kol a firm hug around his legs.

"That takes care of official business." Remarks Conrad. "Now we can be off to find Benton's courage! I hope that it is hidden somewhere pleasant!"

Jaceyfox
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jaceyfox » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:03 pm

Kol softens as the little Hobbit hugs his legs; the impatience drains out of him. He musses Conrad's hair with one of his large hands, a warm smile spreading on to his face. Kol never could stay annoyed with the little folk and, though he'd never admit it, he harboured a soft spot in his heart for the Longhole's.

"Hidden is certainly right." he adds with a chuckle, winking at Benton.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:18 am

Benton rolls his eyes, "Why does everyone always pick on me!" As he complains his voice cracks and reaches a higher octave than Macey's normally does. He blushes and motions at the group, "Come on let's get this over with."

So Benton leads the friends down the trail and then out into the courtyside around Combe. He takes the group down some wagon trails used by local farmers, and then around into the Chetwood out of the vales and valleys of Combe. For a good hour you move through the forest, and at first it is pleasant and fine, but the further you go the more rough the trail until its gone all together.

Macey complains about it, and wonders out loud what Benton was doing out here, but he refuses to explain. After a time he calls the group to a halt and puts his finger to his lip to hush you. He stalks forward to an overhang of rock, approaching from the top of it so that you look down into a small hidden glade below.

There in the glade is a small campfire, nearly out, with a few poorly pitched tents. A mule is tied up to a nearby tree, while you can see four stout figures -- dwarves, milling about the camp.
You are Northeast of the words Combe
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Jaceyfox
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jaceyfox » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:55 pm

"Four dwarves? I thought you said Vara came back alone, Benton. I don't see any treasure trove either." Kol whispers, turning back to look at the makeshift camp-site. His eyes wander from dwarf to dwarf, trying to get an idea of what they're up to and, subconsciously, how well-armed they are.

Keeping his voice low, he addresses the group. "So...what now? Should we have a look around? Or should I just go have a word? I imagine they probably won't be too happy if they catch us poking around....."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:20 pm

Benton looks a bit surprised, "He was alone before, these others weren't here." Th e group, laying on the ridge and looking down and can see the dwarves are moving about having a conversation. Two of the dwarves have on chain hauberks, and short board swords hang from their belts. The other dwarf seems to be wearing no armor but does have an long two handed hafted axe in a holster along his back. Vara is unarmored and unarmed save for a short knife on his belt that looks more like a tool than any sort of weapon.

Vara and the ax totting dwarf are conversing, but from this distance you can't make out the words. Vara throws his hands up into the air, and the other dwarf then shoves him hard in the chest knocking him back a few feet. They start to argue back and forth, shouting and pointing fingers. A few of the shouts make it to you, "Liar!" and "Thief!" and similar words reach your ears.

Then things turn violent, the two sword wearing dwarves draw their blades, and their leader punches Vara in the face knocking him to the ground. The others stand there with swords out daring Vara to stand up....
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Jaceyfox
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jaceyfox » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:39 pm

Kol does not hesitate; as the dwarves draw their swords, he is already getting to his feet and edging his way down the ridge. With his bow in hand he has half an eye on the dwarves, ready to loose an arrow and wound any would-be aggressors should the violence further escalate. His attention is fully captured by the dwarves and, in his folly, he pays no heed to the group behind him. It would have perhaps been wiser to ensure he had the backing of his friends but the thought unfortunately never crossed his mind.

He didn't have much of a plan. He supposed if they turned and spotted him he could try and threaten them from afar with his bow. If they didn't spot him, well....he could just get within earshot and figure out just what was what.

Hippoboy
Level 0
Level 0

Post by Hippoboy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:04 pm

"Oh! There they are! Who wants to be the first person to say hello?" Said Conrad with some excitement in his eyes.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:04 am

Kol stands up and starts to move but Benton reaches out and grabs him by his shirt, "What are you doing?" He hisses trying not to be loud, "You are going to get yourself killed. Look at them."

The dwarves with the swords keep Vara pinned by their threats and the one in charge goes over to the mule and untethers is and starts to lead it away. The armored companions slowly back away as Vara just lays there his hand rubbing the blood from his nose.

Macey agrees with Benton this time, "Sit down Kol you'll get us all killed. Those are true thugs down there. What are you going to do shoot them all? What about us?" She has a point Benton and Macey don't have any sort of armour or arms and those dwarves are wearing steel hauberks and look like they know how to wield their swords.