Book 1: Chapter 1 - Troubles in Tharbad

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Tuesday April 13th, The Drop

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri May 20, 2016 7:55 pm

"Well done Hartley."

In answer to Aravule and Halleth the Elf replies as they begin to leave the area.
"Let's us give a warning to Nomrel. The merchants should realize the danger they are in, and can temporarily clear out of town if they so choose. Most likely, one or more of them will betray for the right threat or reward. It doesn't matter."

Telurin looks at Aravule. "Halleth is right - now is the time for us to leave town. Once "A" tells the Man of the Island, or if "A" IS the Man of the Island, he will surely respond swiftly and forcefully. If we have already cleared out of town in secret, they will probably think we are gone.

"I propose something bold. Let us not only leave, but let us clear out even the jail. The Dwarves can help us make it appear like a ruin again. If it is only an old ruin, it is unlikely our foes will use it against us on our return. We can set Orcare and Merwai free, and warn them that their former employers will likely seek revenge on them if they are seen."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Tuesday April 13th, The Drop

Post by Muskrat » Mon May 23, 2016 5:54 pm

Halleth shakes his head and says, "Small help the merchants will regard us as if we tell them that should pack up and leave Tharbad. We're trying to make it so people can live here unmolested." He pauses, staring at the ground, then looks around at the others. "I wonder if we made a serious error in judgement by not having enough foresight. In any case, we should certainly tell the merchants to freely tell anyone about us. And tell that they are free to say that we went ahead and did this against their wishes--for some of them, that is even true. Hopefully, that will keep the wrath of A off them. As for our trip--looking like we cleared out of here in a hurry may throw A off, but what if we return to find that someone else has taken up residence in the prison we worked so hard to turn into our headquarters? I think it's better that some of the dwarves remain there--though if they fear for their lives, it should be their choice whether to hold the fort or abandon it, especially as they don't seem like fighting types. Can't expect too much of them."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Tuesday April 13th, Back at Home

Post by Vardaen » Mon May 23, 2016 7:06 pm

The group take's Aravule's advice to start, and quickly clears the area. Taking a few double back routes you cover your trail and return home. You have to pick up your boat down at the wharf and row across the river first, but you are back home in an hour time. Along the way and once you return you debate what your next step is. Some suggest leaving, completely vanishing, other have other ideas.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon May 23, 2016 7:33 pm

"Your counsel is wise Halleth," says Telurin. "The merchants should be told they can freely share who we were, and that we acted against their wishes. My advice that they could leave town would not be a permanent one... just temporarily.

As far as our own place goes, I think if the Dwarves are willing they can hold it for us, but I have a feeling that unless it appears abandoned and worthless, the trail will lead A to us and he will capture it if he knows its value now."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Mon May 23, 2016 7:38 pm

"I hate to leave these merchants and everything we've built," Hartley adds,"but if we are going to go, now is the time. Sitting here longer and continuing the same path we have been on will soon draw the ire of the man on the island. If we are not yet strong enough to deal with him, then we should be long gone before he comes looking for us. I vote we go with Blain and look for this lost colony."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Tuesday April 13th, A Visitor

Post by Vardaen » Tue May 24, 2016 4:13 pm

The debate on what to do next, how to leave, what to tell the merchants, continues for a bit. Everyone eventually agrees the merchants should at least be warned of the situation. So Hartley and Haleth make their rounds among a few of them while Aravule and Telurin speak to the others. Blain remains at the prison to deal with his dwarves and inform everyone just what the plan might be next. The merchants understand the situation, some are less pleased than others. Nomrel seems to doubt that anyone else will fill the void left by Barkwell's gang, "We went a long while without extortionists, we might go a while longer yet. I don't think this A fellow is going to care too much about us, its you that better watch your back!"

Eventually the group returns. The moment Aravule is back a figure arrives from around the corner. If you didn't know better you might think the man was waiting in the shadows for Aravule's return.

He strides right up to the front door, he is a tall man dressed in simple leather armors with a hood up, and a bow strapped over his back. "<Sindarin> Aravule, I think its time we speak." The man glances about, worried that someone might see him. Aravule knows the man, and motions at the others. "He's a friend, this is the Ranger I told you of in town, Dúventrin."

Dúventrin nods, to the group, "I prefer something simpler in this land, call me Watcher." He then motions at the door, "Can we speak inside?"
The South Watcher
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue May 24, 2016 4:19 pm

"<Sindarin> It is good you have come," replies Telurin. The Elf does not answer the Ranger's question, leaving that for Aravule.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue May 24, 2016 6:58 pm

Halleth understands Sindarin, but speaks in Westron for the benefit of Hartley and Blain, who he guesses are not fluent in Elven languages. "Ah, well, so the Ranger mentioned in Barkwell's letter didn't refer to Aravule after all! Well met--it is good to see an ally in these lands." He heads into their little fortress, gesturing for Dúventrin to join them. "How long have you been here? I hope our actions have not disrupted any plans that you have been working on."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue May 24, 2016 8:17 pm

"He has been here longer than we, I believe." Aravule waves the ranger inside, "Of course, come in, friend, and be welcome." Aravule extends a hand to the ranger in greeting.

He turns to Halleth, "No it did not, and that is why I spoke as I did, knowing our friend wanted his privacy." With a sigh, Aravule himself sits down, "We've run into a bit of a problem ourselves, though I'm sure you know."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed May 25, 2016 2:20 pm

Dúventrin heads inside when Aravule moves inside. Before entering he glances once more around, paranoid he's being followed. He greets everyone with a hand shake or a nod. "I have been in Tharbad for two years now." His first reply is to Halleth before he sits down once you are in the main room of the place. He looks around, "You've done a fine job with this place. Who would have guessed that not but a decade ago this was a haven for orc raiders out of the Misty Mountains?"

Looking around, "But I am not here for a history lesson. No, I'm here to talk about your recent actions. You've caused a little stir in Tharbad with your handling of the extortion ring. Seems you'd riled the locals up a bit. Did you hear about the West Gate fight the other night?" He can tell you haven't from your shaking head, "Seems a collection of bold locals were tired of paying the 'tax' to come and go through the gate and they stood up to the thugs there. Two of them died for it unfortunately, and the thugs are still there, but its first bit of fight I've seen out of the good people in Tharbad in a long while. Its drawing the attention of our mysterious man on the island as well. He's been content to sit there, doing whatever it is he's doing for a time, but he's starting to stir once more. Collecting cuts from the various criminal groups from around town. Luckily he hasn't united many of them yet but I don't know how much longer that will be."