Book 1: Chapter 1 - Troubles in Tharbad

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Tuesday April 13th, A Visitor

Post by Boronind » Wed May 25, 2016 4:16 pm

After wrapping up his conversation with the other dwarves about the possibility of leaving Tharbad and searching after the lost colony of Fundin, Bláin's spirit is bolstered by the halfling's enthusiasm on venturing east toward to mountains to look for his grandfather's people. "Pluckly folk this one is! I'm sure he shares the same Tookish blood somewhere with old Bilbo!", Bláin thinks to himself.

He only listens half-intently to the conversation between the new Ranger and the others as his heart and mind are already set upon picking up stakes and leaving this dreadful place. He waits patiently for the opportunity to chime in about heading out, but wants to do so in a way that is overly eager, which is of course, contrary to his nature. Still, he bides his time and holds his tongue until the situation merits his vocal intervention.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed May 25, 2016 4:31 pm

"We have been planning to leave town for a while, Watcher," says Telurin. "Not only so that what has been stirred up might cool down, perhaps even causing the mysterious figure of the island to think we are gone, but because we need to raise more support. We do not yet know this man's power, but feel as if we ought to have something to meet it with before we try to oppose him directly."

The Elf looks at Aravule, "Should we show him Barkwell's letter? Perhaps he will find the information useful. I wonder if the signer of the letter, 'A', and the man of the Island are not one and the same."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed May 25, 2016 5:28 pm

Watcher listen to Telurin, "Hmmm, leaving now is a tricky matter. You have started something, something grassroots, staying to see it through might be a good idea. You could make a difference, but you are right if you are going to make any true progress against our mysterious man on the isle you'll need more than the locals, even if some of them have the heart for it."

He paces back and forth in the chamber, "Where are you planning to rally this support? There isn't much around here, the Rangers are scattered and only a few of us travel here. There are some in Sarn Ford perhaps. The locals, perhaps some of the Dunlending clans if you could promise them wealth in trade for war." He stops short and snaps his finger, "If you really want to gain the aid you need to clean up Tharbad I can think of one who could be of great help."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed May 25, 2016 5:33 pm

"We were thinking of the Dwarves," he says, looking at Blain.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed May 25, 2016 5:39 pm

"Dwarves? I'm not sure that any dwarves remain in Dunland since Erebor was refounded. You may have a hard time with that." He looks around and realizes that there are several dwarves present. "Then again I could be wrong. Still if you want my advice I would suggest you head to Isengard, there you will find the White Wizard Saruman. He is wise and power, and has a vested interest in the region. He is friends to the Dunedain, and I think you may find he could prove to be a true patron in your goals here in Tharbad."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed May 25, 2016 6:11 pm

Halleth harrumphs. "Wise and powerful and locks himself up in his tower, like a frightened child, just like those elves in Rivendell." He glances at Telurin and corrects himself. "Most of the elves of Rivendell. I'd far rather have dwarves who are brave and know how to fight at my back, then some old man who can't be bothered to get out of his home and do something."
No, I'm not reacting this way because I know OOC that Saruman is bad. I'm reacting this way because that's how Halleth would react--it's consistent with his attitude towards the people of Rivendell, Breeland and the Shire.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed May 25, 2016 6:17 pm

"I doubt you would say that he is as weak and frightened as a child if you saw him face to face, Halleth. Perhaps he does stay too locked up, but he is perhaps the most powerful of the Wise in Arda, at least he matches the power of Elrond."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Wed May 25, 2016 10:01 pm

Hartley listens to the others planning as he prepares a meal for them to share with Watcher. "Well, so much for having an easy answer as to what to do next" he says at last.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu May 26, 2016 5:12 pm

"Saruman," Aravule repeats, nodding silently. "And yet, it is more than that, friend. I seek to raise up Tharbad as the seat of Cardolan, as it was in the age past." He rubs his chin as he is apt to do, "I do not want to leave, I would make a stand, but is this prison worth our deaths? No, it is not, but I will not let these merchants face the wrath of the man on the isle. I will not." He looks at this companions, particularly those that had convinced the group to rid the merchants of threat before having sufficient backing. "I will not leave them to suffer. /We/ brought this upon their heads, and I shall be there to support them." Aravule has made his decision.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu May 26, 2016 5:20 pm

Telurin nods at Aravule's bravery. "What if the merchants face no consequences, and are either ignored, or threatened to simply tell what they know? I think if we tell them to share all and put the blame squarely on us, they will not be punished, because they did not, after all, do anything to truly help us.

Even the information they shared was a lot less useful than the work we did in preparation, capturing Merwai and knowing where to go from there."