Book 1: Chapter 1 - Troubles in Tharbad

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Tuesday April 13th, A Visitor

Post by TetNak » Thu May 26, 2016 5:22 pm

"You do not know that Telurin. Not in the least. None of us can say what A will do. The only way to secure their safety is remove them from Tharbad or protect them with my own life if need be."

Aravule shakes his head, "This is why I wished backing before we moved. But here we are."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu May 26, 2016 5:24 pm

"Then let us remove them. I am with you that we must take responsibility to see they are watched over."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu May 26, 2016 5:29 pm

"That would be my choice as safest regardless of what we do. But where will they go? And what if they do not wish to leave?" asks Aravule.

He thinks silently for awhile, then says, "What about Lord Elrond. Would he take them in?"

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu May 26, 2016 5:33 pm

"What about Saruman? He is far closer, powerful, and could help assure them that with our help he shall restore them to their homes."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu May 26, 2016 5:41 pm

Watcher shakes his head, "Don't worry about a half dozen merchants who were paying protection money to some thugs and ruffians. That little band of thugs only recently started troubling folks, and even more recently had anything to do with our 'friend' out on the isle. They are far beneath his notice. Besides, I can keep my eye on them like I have others around here." He folds his arms over his chest.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu May 26, 2016 5:44 pm

Aravule looks over to the Watcher, "He knows about you." The ranger diverts his attention, but the matter of the merchants isn't settled. "We have a letter." He waves over to Hartley to fetch it, "Where he specifically notes there's a ranger in town that might cause the ruffians trouble. I do not think he was talking about Halleth or I."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu May 26, 2016 5:53 pm

Nodding the ranger smiles, "Of course he knows about me. It was the only way I could keep his attention off of you Aravule. He's powerful, with a long reach here, but its mostly of fear, and mystery. He doesn't have as much tangible power as some think. Its growing daily, but there are still good people in Tharbad that resist. More so now that the work of Barkwell's little gang being defeated has spread."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu May 26, 2016 5:56 pm

"Then perhaps we should strike now, before his power grows." Aravule's eyes watch the reaction of most everyone in the room, "We have trained warriors, each of us bloody and ready. If you help us, perhaps we can remove him from power now, then return with people to help build Cardolan from the ground up."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu May 26, 2016 6:02 pm

Watcher shakes his head, "He's not that helpless. You have what, a dozen maybe if you count the laborers and myself? No he has more than that, and worse control of the Isle. He has no need to come out from there because of your small group. You'll need something to draw him from the isle, something that will force his hand. I can handle a few thugs now and then, I have my contacts in the city, but nothing that will get his attention. Go, find your army or your advice from Saruman, then come back and force A's hand."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu May 26, 2016 8:06 pm

Blubbo_Baggins wrote:"I doubt you would say that he is as weak and frightened as a child if you saw him face to face, Halleth. Perhaps he does stay too locked up, but he is perhaps the most powerful of the Wise in Arda, at least he matches the power of Elrond."
Halleth is unimpressed. "What use is power if you stay cooped up in one place, not using that power to fight? Aye, we owe Elrond something for giving us shelter, but he and the elves of Rivendell could do far more. And I'm sure Saruman could do so as well. Of the so-called Wise, I have the most respect for Gandalf, who travels around helping people fight the Shadow, not staying in a refuge, pouring over his books."

Halleth listens to the others' words and says to Aravule, "My liege, I will go wherever you choose to go. But based on what Watcher here says, this may be our best opportunity to go out and seek help from the dwarves. If we stay to help the merchants, we'll only grow more boxed in, with fewer opportunities to go out and recruit followers. It sounds like Watcher has been here a while, so I'm inclined to trust his judgement that we can safely leave the merchants for a little while, to recruit a following so that we may better protect them and others in the future."