Book 1: Chapter 1 - Asking Around Tharbad

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:30 pm

Image "...the North-South Road no longer existed except for the crumbling remains of the causeways, by which a hazardous approach to Tharbad might be achieved, only to find ruins on dwindling mounds, and a dangerous ford formed by the ruins of the bridge, impassable if the river had not been there slow and shallow – but wide."

Unfinished Tales, Part 2, Ch IV, The History of Galadriel and Celeborn,
Appendix D, 'The Port Of Lond Daer '
April 6th, 2957, Eight Months After Arriving in Tharbad

Having debated long enough the Fellowship is out in the streets of Tharbad asking around the local merchants about the gang of thugs that are attempting to extort the locals. Telurin and Hartley have moved down one of the streets looking for Ibal's Shoes, Findegil the merchant, and Serinde's Originals.

The Elf and Hobbit are an odd pair in Tharbad and stick out like a sore thumb. Still they move with ease along the streets and various business that are open here. They spot Ibal's Shoes first. Its a small ramshackle hut that serves as bost workshop and home to the cobbler inside.

Ibal works inside on a pair of soles set on a small work bench. He is using an awl to punch holes for laces and looks up as you arrive. He stops at once, and glances down at Hartley's feet then back up without a word.
Alright here we go for Telurin and Hartley.

We Arrive From:
http://www.dicefellowship.org/viewtopic ... 35#p317335
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:50 pm

Telurin observes the shop, looking for signs of its health, whether Ibal is prospering or struggling, whether he's armed and trying to prepare to defend himself, or prepared to pay. He looks to Hartley to do the talking, feeling like his only option is to remain silent or to try to impress the man. He has a feeling impressing with words will mean little.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:04 pm

Hartley approaches the man with a smile and a bow. "I take it by the sign on the door that you are Ibal and I take it by the expression on your face that you are not accustom to seeing hobbits in your fine establishment. That is not surprising as there are few of us in this part of the world and we have no real use for the services of a cobbler, finding that our feet do quite well without wrapping them all up in leather. Nevertheless, we (my friend the elf and I) are come here today to offer you our services. We have been referred to you by a local merchant by the name of Nomrel. He says that there are several merchants who are tired of paying extortion money to those thugs who have been badgering you. I am a member of a company who aims to do something about them, but need to find people who are willing to help us out. We want to drive the thugs out of Tharbad. We don't ask for money, only your cooperation. We are not just another group of ruffians. We want to offer real protection to you and others like you. Anyway, I have gone on quite a bit without letting up for you to respond. What do you say? Are you interested in doing something to fight back?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:08 pm

Looking around the shop Telurin can see the man is struggling to survive, as most everyone in Tharbad is. He has modest tools, and a few set of shoes ready to be sized and sold, but the building itself isn't in the best of conditions. Hartely goes into his little speech and the man sits listening, and a bit in wonder as this child speaks so well, and this elf stands there watching. "A hobbit you say? Never heard of you're kind, but I assume you are some sort of beardless dwarf?" He shrugs, and listens more. then he speaks to Telurin, like one would speak to a child's parent, "I don't want any trouble, from you or anyone else, but this town is full of it." He sets his tools down, "I don't know what fighting back I can do, but if you are going to do some of it, I can... well I can tell you what I know if that might help."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:03 pm

"That is all we ask," nods Telurin. "We don't ask any help from you directly. Only that if we are successful in protecting your shop, you know that it was us behind it. To be clear though, that is not a suggestion you then pay us for protection. That is /not/ what we are after. We want to see Tharbad prosperous, and it starts with /someone/ doing the right thing. Otherwise, there will be no one to follow. Tell us what you know."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:10 pm

He sizes you both up again, still uncertain about this Hobbit character. So he speaks to Telurin. "Alright so this is what normally happens..." He goes on to explain how the thugs come to collect, and confirms Nomrel's description of the thug's modus operandi. However he adds one piece Nomrel didn't mention, a fourth hooded man lurking on a rooftop across the street during the collection of the 'taxes'.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:20 pm

Telurin thanks the man, especially for the information about the man on the rooftop. "If we hadn't known about him, it could have made things far worse." Telurin asks the man when he expects the thugs may be back, and that he and Hartley will be going to speak Findegil and Serinde.
If the man has nothing further to add, or you don't Wb, I'm OK moving on to the next shop(s).

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:26 pm

Hartley bows again before the man. "Thank you for your help, we freely offer you ours. I know my size might be a bit of a puzzle to you. We hobbits may short of stature, but we are a decent folk. You should come to Bree sometime."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:47 pm

"I suspect they will return Friday evening for their payment." He laughs sort of, "You want to stop them I wouldn't get in your way." He nods to Hartley, "Well its a pleasure, but unless you plan to put some shoes on those feet I don't see us doing much business together." He again gives a uncomfortable laugh. "Bree? That's too far for my tastes."

You offer up your farewells and leave the shop with a bit of information you didn't have before. Seeking for Findegil the pair have to travel a bit, down several roads an back allies to a decent looking structure among the ramshackle huts around it. A simple wooden sign with a faded bag painted on it swings in the breeze.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:50 pm

"I wonder what Findegil sells," Telurin asks his halfling companion. "I suppose we shall find out momentarily."