Book 1: Chapter 1 - Asking Around Tharbad

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:03 am

"Well, information is the most important commodity at present. Let's hope he's agreeable."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:13 pm

Into the shop the pair go, the place is clearly just some sort of tinkers hovel. Its a collection of doo dads, broken bits, and other salvaged pieces of random junk from around the city. However there are many a good item as well. Locks and chains, chests and sacks, hunting traps, hinges for doors, lanterns, cooking tools, and other similar items. One might think it a locksmiths, or a blacksmiths, but it lacks a forge, and you get the feeling all of these things have been salvaged, not crafted by Findegil.

The man in question is sitting at a table using some pliers to try and reshape a busted up set of linked rings, what they are for isn't at first obvious. He looks up and smiles, "Welcome! Greetings!"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:48 pm

Telurin smiles, "Thank you. It is rare to receive such a smile, here in this ruin of a town." The elf looks about the shop. "My name is Telurin. My partner and I were sent to you by another merchant, named Nomrel. Thought we might be able to help." He looks to Hartley to see if the halfling would like to fill in the details, for they are certainly clearer in his mind, having been the one to speak with Nomrel directly.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:54 pm

"It is well known that most of the merchants around here are subject to extortion in order to stay in business. I also understand it is dangerous to take a stand against this injustice, but Nomrel says there are several merchants who might be willing to take a stand, if there was hope of things getting better. We are with a group who seeks to make Tharbad a better place for those who live here. A place where people can live in freedom without fear. Our group wants to offer you protection of a different sort. We want to put an end to these ruffians' extortion ring. We do not want anything in return, except for a few brave merchants to help us with information and to trust us to deal with the threat. I know that you have no reason to trust us, but are you of a mind to be free of these thugs?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:20 pm

"Pleased to meet you Telurin, and you too", he didn't catch Hartley's name since it wasn't given, but that doesn't slow him down. "You want to take the thugs down? Well its about time someone wanted to do something to clean this town up! Now it won't be easy but I have a few ideas already about how to stop them if you are interested. Mind you, I'm not warrior, but I know this town better than most."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:00 pm

"We are all ears," answers Telurin. "We could have tried to stop the thugs without speaking with you, but we thought it wise to learn more, and let you know our plan."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:26 am

"Sorry, I forgot to share my name. I got a little over enthusiastic. Hartley Sandheaver at your service. Now tell us what ideas you have."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:23 pm

"Hartley, I know a Hartley, he's a bit taller than you however!" He smiles and motions for the two to come over. "So my idea is that we could organize...." he goes into some vague plans, and over complicated traps that involve his various tinkered devices. He's eager, too eager, and his various ideas seem a bit far fetched, or simply so complex they have about a 99% chance to fail. He's certain of himself however, "...then we could topple the boxes on them and knock them into canal drowning them. They likely can't swim, many folk around here can't you know?"
You can tell he's not trying to dupe you. He's eager, but none of his suggestions seem worth your time.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:19 pm

After listening for a while, Telurin realizes the man is a dreamer, but doesn't have anything concrete to offer. When he finishes, the Elf reaches out his hand. "Thank you Findegil. We will consider what you've shared and talk to the others. You can be certain we will do our best to put an end to the work of these ruffians." He looks to Hartley, as if to signal they should move on to the final shop.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:48 am

Hartley smiles at the man. "Yes, very nice to meet you sir. One thing before we go. Could you tell us when you next expect a visit from these thugs?"