Book 1: Chapter 1 - Asking Around Tharbad

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:34 pm

"Yes yes, they should be back Tuesday if they keep to their schedule. That gives us many days to plan. you aren't leaving are you? Where are you going? We should draw up some idea. What about if you jump them from behind as I'm talking to them, yes that should work. No no that's too simple never work!"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:47 pm

Hartley bows to the man. "Yes, we must leave now, but we will keep in touch. If all goes well, they won't be visiting you this coming Tuesday." He takes his leave of the shop.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:45 pm

"Yes," adds Telurin, "most likely we will deal with them far sooner than Tuesday; keep your plans in mind should we need them." He turns with Hartley and leaves. "Now for Serinde."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:32 pm

The pair politely suggest they will take all the man has offered, but they then slip out and head for another of the shops they know of. A few blocks away, after asking a few folks, the pair finds Serinde's Originals. Its a small place, like most, but its neat and clean and very tidy. It appears to be a wood workers' studio. Small carving tools are about, and hanging from the walls are a few pieces. Many of things things are useful items, spoons, bowls, mugs, smoking pipes, etc, but others are pieces of art, or toys, frames for art, walking stick heads, or other things one wouldn't need but might like to have.

You assume its Serinde, a fine looking younger woman who sits on a stool carving the long stem of a pipe adding roses and thorns to the piece. She looks up and wonders at your arrival, elf and hobbit aren't so common after all. "Greetings, I am Serinde, how are you this fine day?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:43 pm

Telurin nods to the lady. "Your shop is unusual; it is nice to come to a place that shows such order and talent. We were sent to you from Nomrel. Thought we might be able to help. Do you know him well?" The Elf starts with a question, just to try to gauge her reaction and relationship with the other merchant.
Invoking Generous to show that he is truthful and not using the word "help" as a euphemism for something that will cost her

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:50 pm

Hartley, eyes the pipes the woman has on display. There are several he wouldn't mind having, the work is very fine indeed. "How much are you asking for this fine pipe madame? I wouldn't be adverse to adding it to my collection before we leave here today."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:40 pm

She answers Hartley first, "Two copper pennies for that one, are you old enough to smoke?" Again, she has no idea what a hobbit is, like most here.

Then she withdraws, "Nomrel? Never mind, I don't want anything to do with you. Look life is hard enough. I do what I'm supposed to, I pay my taxes, and that's good enough. You can tell them I proved my loyalty. I don't want any trouble, please, just go."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:57 pm

Hartley smiles. "I'll give you three pennies, it is fine workmanship. I have a pouch of Old Toby from the shire that will smoke quite nicely in it. Don't let my size fool you. I am a hobbit of Bree, a halfling some would say."

He purchases the pipe and admires its workmanship. "You do fine work. It is people like you that could build Tharbad back to into the great city it once was, if you only had the freedom to practice your trade and live your life without fear. We know that there is an extortion ring being run. We aim to do something about it. Not for monetary gain, mind you, but because there are too many places in the world given over to the shadow. We seek to drive that shadow away from Tharbad. We will put an end to these thugs and their harassment. I understand your fears and we will not put you in any danger. Pretend you never saw us if you wish. However, if you could give us some useful information regarding these ruffians, we would be much obliged to you."
Persuade 2 or courtesy 3, whichever best applies here

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:21 am

Telurin nods and waits for Serinde's answer.

After her reply to Hartley (whether she provides information or not), the Elf says, "We never spoke to you about this, but we did indeed come and buy a pipe of fine quality to enjoy the leaf we've carried for so very many miles. Just know that if somehow you stop having to pay what are falsely referred to as "taxes", that there are good folk left in the world."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:12 pm

She shakes her head, "No, I won't risk it. Take the pipe..." she takes the pennies not arguing over the extra on. "Now please go. You are only going to make things worse for me if they find out. You think there are just a few of them? No way, there has to be more." She pockets the coins and points at the door, "Please go, before they find out." She clearly is terrified and your not about to persuade her differently.
Rolled:
Feat Die: 4*
Success Die: 2,1
Totaling: 7

Fail