Prelude: Many Meetings

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Empty Mug, March 20th

Post by Vardaen » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:05 pm

"We have a few rooms available," answers the man.

The woman looks at the coins and nods, "That should cover it. We ain't bodyguards, so any trouble you bring on yourself ain't our problem."

The man nods takes the coins and produces two simple keys, "Room 3 and 4, upstairs."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:44 pm

Bláin nods accordingly to them. Then without missing a beat, he places another coin on the counter and say, “Sorry to be a bother, but I have yet to see any of our kind around Tharbad. Have you seen any other of our kind in this town in a while? It is always a pleasure for us to see and do business with them.”

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:49 pm

"Sure, there is a few dwarves that live across the river I think. We see them time to time. Been working on some rebuilding there I think." He takes the coin, "You can get a ferry across the river easily enough."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:54 pm

He nods at the innkeepers and then motions his companions to leave their tables and go upstairs to their rooms. Realizing how tired he is from the journey from Ered Luin to here, he yawns broadly as he and the other ascend the stairs. He hands the key to room 3 to Oxdis for he and his brother and takes the other for himself and the others. As they depart company, Bláin bids them a good night, “Rest ye well friends, let us regain our strength from the weariness of the road. In a couple of days we will set out in search of the party Nalir told us about.
Lowering fatigue 1 point per night right? Mine is 25/32 and I'd like to lower it to its starting of 15. I think we will hole up here but will do things during the day accordingly

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

The Final Goal, April 6th

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:29 pm

The dwarves hunker down at The Empty Mug for several days. It isn't the greatest place, or even close, but its just about the only place in Tharbad that isn't a den of theives and scoundrels. Seems the place has a bit of respect to it from the locals, enough that they don't bother those stating here too much.

During the course of the days Tharbad is explored lightly. There is a fairly active market near the Empty Mug, and down near the river are fishmongers, ferry boats, and other shops and stalls. However the river is swollen with spring rains and the various stalls are mobile, they move with the 'spring tides' as the locals say. By summer thirty some yards will be reclaimed by dry land and the stalls and boats will be down there.

A ferry, for a few coins, can take you across the river to the south side of town. There is less economy there. Word is hunters, migrant Dunlendings, and thugs call that side of the river home. Slums are present as well, ruins and more ruins. Most of the ancient waterways are crumbling, the flood walls are long broken, and the bridge across the river doesn't stand.

In the center of the River Gwathlo is a great isle, on which "He" lives. When asked about it no one is willing to talk about it. They are fearful, frightened, and no amount of dwarven diplomacy will coax the locals to talk about. No boatman will row you there, and when they cross the river they give the isle a wide berth, and yet you can see still armed figures on the ruins that dominate it.

Its April already before the city is scouted out, and the dwarves have recovered from the long trip on the road. Finally the place Nalir has spoken of has come into sight. It looks to be an old prison if you know anything about construction. Its been fixed up recently it would appear, a new front door, some fixed stonework, the yard outside is clear of brush. Vara comments, as the others are back at The Empty Mug, "This looks like the place."
We skip a head to April 6thish, which puts you now active at the current time as the rest of the game!
Ignore the X Your Location marker, you are actually at the red S1

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:04 pm

“Well then,” putting his hand on Vara’s shoulder, “What are we waiting for? It time we made our introductions, no?” Holding Vara’s shoulder before he steps forward, “Now what do I need about these folks so that this encounter goes well? Nalir says one thing, what do you say?” Bláin listen attentively as he sizes up the building in front of him and trying to imagine the faces of the people Vara describes to him.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:55 pm

Vara strokes his beard, "If its Aravule you encounter, treat him like a king. That man has an ego the size of Tharbad. Thinks he's some second coming of Númenor. The rest of them, well they seemed reasonable, just not that Ranger. Entitled little spoiled brat if I had to pick words to describe him. His father was a good man, but..." Shrugging he looks around, "Also he doesn't like me much. Maybe I should go back to the Mug."

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:03 pm

Bláin considers Vara’s sound idea for a long moment as he strokes his beard in deliberation.

“Well, prudence would say you shouldn’t, but honor says you should. You’ll have to face him at some point….Maybe he is more contrite and chastened now than before. After all, he is supposedly surrounded by sensible people, no? Regardless, come with me so we can see if we can make amends somehow and see if we can come to some agreement regarding the artifacts of Fundin.”

Bláin pats Vara on the back and commences toward the door of the renovated prison where upon he knock vigorously, saying a brief prayer to Mahal under his breath.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:50 pm

"Alright, I'll go along with you. I can't very well leave you alone now at the door to the wolf's den, so to speak."

The pair move forward and Blain knocks on the door....
I think this is the time to merge your thread with the main one!

Watch this thread now for your introduction there:
viewtopic.php?f=799&t=8315&p=321939#p321939