Prelude: Many Meetings

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Journey South, March 18th

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:35 pm

Nalir shakes his head when Vara appears from the rear of the group. "Really Vara?! You cowardly son of an orc! You go and rat on me about that? Have some other dwarves fight your battles for you." He spits on Vara, "Fie! I spit on you! You stole that gold from the rangers, all I was going to do was put it to good use for our people." He looks over at Bláin "Yeah I punched the bastard and took the gold, but it was to find the lost colony of Fundin, all Vara was going to do with it was piss it away on drinks or worse given it BACK to the Rangers!"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:58 pm

Hearing the name of his grandfather uttered by this foul tempered dwarf causes Bláin’s head to start to spin. Stunned, he shakes his head in disbelief, anger arising within.

He interrupts Nalir’s rant against Vara. “Hold your tongue, Nalir! What did you just say? What sort of crazy as a caveclaw thing did you just utter about my grandfather who died valiantly in the Battle of Azanulbizar and whose body was burned on the pyre along with the rest of the fallen Khazad warriors? Speak now about this ‘lost colony’ or you will have more to answer for than your crimes of assault and thievery.”

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:54 pm

Nalir steps back, away from the angry Bláin, "Yeah, not everything you think is true is true! You heard me, the Lost Colony of Fundin! Yeah, that's why I took the gold. Because I found proof that Fundin was alive after the Battle of Azanulbizar, and he lead a company of dwarves to a secret place in the mountains to settle a colony. Doesn't much matter now, the gold is lost, the maps and Fundin's personal letters are lost. Those idiot Aravule took them. No idea how important they are."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:15 pm

At Nalir words, Bláin’s world comes tumbling down like the ancient halls of Belegost did in the Elder Days when the Sea came rushing in. He cannot keep his penetrating gaze off of Nalir, trying to discern the veracity of what he has just heard. He stands dumbstruck for serval moments which for him seem like an entire Age of the World. Recomposing himself, he begins to calm down somewhat, though his heart is beating rapidly, both out of a mix of excitement and agitation.

He puts his hand up to Vara as if to tell him to wait until this new matter is settled before returning to his business.

Still somewhat incredulous of Nalir, he probes him with more questions, as if he were shining a lantern for the first time into a newly discovered cavern. In a more calm yet insistent voice he says, “Tell me, where did you find ‘proof’ of all of this? Of my grandfather’s survival and this lost colony of his?”
Roll an Insight test to see if Nalir appears to be telling the truth. Invoke Penetrating Gaze background trait to help or lower the TN?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:22 pm

Nalir folds his arms over his chest, he can tell he has your full attention. "I don't think I need to tell you anything. This was an expensive, and painful endeavor for me. If you want to know, what are you going to trade me for it?"

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:53 pm

Bláin eyes narrow as he replies to the shrewd dwarf, “Ah, so you want to trade for something? How about trading us what you know for you having a future among our kind? As it stands now, it is you for whom the boulder of Khazâd justice is about to fall upon. There must be a reckoning for your criminal treatment of Vara, who regardless of his innocence or lack thereof, and such a reckoning will most likely mean that your name will be counted among the unworthy, the petty, the beardless….oh, yes, we will cut off your beard as a sign of shame and disgrace. It shall be your name whom none shall ever trade or offer hospitality again in the realm. No hall will have you. It will be your name that we shall teach our children to associate with the outcast, the excommunicated, should they fall out of line. However, should you cooperate no such legacy will be yours. And after you do restitution to Vara, perhaps in your future you could go on to do great and noteworthy things. For, if what you tell me is true, then you have a heart for true adventure.

That is the deal I’m prepared to make with you; your information for your future."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:17 pm

Nalir just laughs and laughs for a few good minutes. Then he wipes a tear from his eye. "Out of my way Blain son of Balin. Do you think that your threats mean anything to me? I have been living and working in Tharbad for years. Long ago I was outcast, declared disgraced. Do you think I would be living in this hell hole if I was in good standing with your people? No. Call me beardless, call me petty. I don't care. You can't do anything to me this town hasn't already done."

He waves you off, "Either stand aside or trade me for what you want like a good merchant's son. I'm had enough of this, and Bree is along way to the north."

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:30 pm

Bláin just shakes his head at seeing one of his kind sink so low; but he is not surprised and ready to try another tack.

He crosses his arms across his chest and says, “Fine. Before we offer you something you really want, answer me this one question: What set you on the task to find the supposed lost colony of Fundin? Why in the name of Durin would you risk your beard looking for something that supposedly did not exist? Help me understand what you wanted out of all this so I can better know what it is you do want!”

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:03 pm

Nalir seems to warm up as Bláin calms down. "What set me on the task? It was Him." He thumbs back Tharbad's way. "I was minding my own business living in Tharbad doing... well what I was doing is none of your business. When I was shown one of the letters from Fundin. It looked legit to me. His seal, and it was all about how he and some were gathering their supplies for the venture." He scratches his chin, "He let me see that one, got me interested, showed me another when I asked, but the rest, the maps, the dozen letters back and forth, those, he was going to charge me for."

He points north, "What I want is your pony, your supplies. I'll tell you what you need to know from here, who you want to talk to who to avoid. I just want to be rid of this place and go back to some sort of normal life."

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:58 pm

Trying to look rather nonplused though feeling a strong sense of adventure arising in his breast, Bláin says, “Well, in exchange for your information we can spare one pony and enough supplies to get you back to Bree and a few coin so you can buy some proper cloths and have a meal.”

Turning back to Vara and then back to Nalir, “However, I do believe that Vara and you have some of your own business to settle. As we see it, Vara has been deeply wronged by you and you should restore him in some way. What is your side of the story of how you came to take the gold that Vara had?”