Prelude: Many Meetings

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Journey South, March 17th

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:17 pm

I deleted my post because I was confused and I wanted to repost
Körbl stands before the tablet and the rabbit mean. The bird focus on the meat first for a few minutes tearing it with beak and feet. Then gulping it down the bird turns to the tablet.

It starts to peck at the answers as the questions are given.

Yes

Yes

No

It doesn't answer since it can't.

When asked about Nalir it pecks at the Yes then at the small compass symbol marked on the tablet a few times on the "South" marking, twice to be specific.

Then about the Rangers it pecks No

Finally it finishes with Yes
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:13 pm

After tossing the rest of the rabbit meat to Körbl, Bláin turns to the members of his company and reports, “Well Körbl has told us a lot. First off, it seems the person we are looking for is less than two days from on the road heading our way. I’m not sure if he has any company with him, but we should braid our beards and keep our axes sharp in case this fellow Nalir proves as dastardly as has been foretold. Second, if we do venture into Tharbad, Körbl warns us that we may be in for some trouble. But then, a Khuzd whose boots show no sign of being in the mines are not worthy of their halls!” Urging the other four on, “Am I right?!”

Grabbing hold of Vara’s shoulder, he looks him resolutely in the eye, “Look, my friend, I have no doubt that the first thing you shall desire is to pull Nalir’s beard down to the ground, but you must resist that urge until we can shake the truth out of it first. That is the custom among our kind. A Khuzd who stands accused of crime against another Khuzd has the right to tell his version of the story to the Khazâd assembled. Then, and only then, after questioning, deliberation, and judgement of the assembled kindred, will punishment be ladled out. Do I have your word that you shall throw neither insult nor axe at him when we meet him?”

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:26 pm

Vara inhales sharply. "I can't promise that. I think a good punch in the teeth is in order, than you can do whatever you like to him after that." He stares into Bláin's eyes then relents, "Fine, for you I'll wait to punch him in the teeth until after you have whatever information you need from him. There is no tale for him to tell, there is not trial here. Its punch for a punch, he and I have a score to settle. Its personal!"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:54 pm

Bláin smiles gently at the ire of Vara but remains firm. “Yes, you are correct; with us it is always a personal matter. But as a felony of a Khuzd against a Khuzd it is also manner of honor; for though we Children of Majal (Aulë) are known for being the shrewdest and most cunning of all the Free Peoples, we draw the line at thievery; we are not brigands like some lowly Men whose hearts have darkened” He pats Vara on the back and summons the caravan to continue its trek down the road.

As they walk, Bláin reflects more about why this Nalir would beat and rob another of his kindred. It is truly baffling given the code of honor the Khazâd adhere. Then he remembers a comment that Vara made back in Bree; Nalir “needed the gold to buy more maps of some long lost colony or some such.” What was that? Map? Long lost colony?

He slows down his pace so that he is walking side-by-side with Vara. “Tell me, my friend, when we first conversed at the Prancing Pony, you told me that Nalir assaulted and robbed you of the tainted gold so he could acquire maps to some lost colony. What was that about? What kind expedition was he on?”

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:29 pm

Vara shrugs about all the talk of honor, "You talk of one who's had a home and kin for all his life. You forget those of us who have had to forage all our lives. Honor means nothing when all you want is something to eat." He slows down at Blain slows down, "Oh the colony talk? I'm sure it's nothing like I said, but Nalir was certain it was important. Kept going on about how he would return our people to some former glory in the south. He was going to find 'the lost colony' and restore it, but he needed the gold to buy the maps and papers from someone in Tharbad. That was his excuse at least."

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:34 pm

Bláin tilts his head at this talk, scratches his beard vigorously and ponders this as their encounter with Nalir draws nigh.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

The Journey South, March 18th

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:42 pm

The small group keeps traveling, its another day on the road south, and finally the rain breaks for w good stretch. The lands around here seem to take the rain and turn into fens and marshes, clearly leaving the road in this area is a bad idea. The road isn't much better, but its a clear direction to travel at least.

So it is in the afternoon of the day since Körbl's return that your group spots a figure moving up the road heading north. Its a lone cloaked figured, short, likely a dwarf, likely Nalir if you have had any luck. You close to about fifty yards before he looks up and notices you on the road ahead of him. He stops dead in his tracks as if unsure what to do next.

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:11 pm

Worried that the dwarf, should it prove to be Nalir, might flee at the sign of Vara, Bláin motions for Vara move behind the others and tells him to cloak his head so that the dwarf, can’t readily identify him.

Together Bláin leads the group as they move forward slow and steady. When in speaking distance from the dwarf, Bláin step forward and shouts, “Shamukh, ra galikh ai-mâ (Hail and well met! Lit. Greetings and may good be upon us!)” Continuing in Khuzdul, “I am Bláin, son Balin, of the House of Durin.” Bowing as is custom, he concludes, “At your service.”
Ideally, I'd like to be 10 yards from him

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:53 pm

Vara pulls his hood up and lowers his head stepping behind the others so not to spook Nalir.

Nalir, for it is him, looks like he might bolt at one point, but its marsh lands on either side of the road and he just can't stand marshlands. So he stands there. Then he calls back, "Shamukh, ra galikh ai-mâ." He stops there and listens further, "Well hello Bláin, son Balin, I am Nalir son of Nalrin, at your service. "

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:22 pm

Bláin moves forward rather within arm’s reach of Nalir. His demeanor changing to a more serious look, he intones gruffy, “We shall see, Nalir, son of Nalrin, whether you can. You see, we have come looking for you.” He summons Vara to uncloak and step forward. “M'imnu Durin (In Durin’s name) you stand accused of beating and robbing another of our kin," pointing to Vara. He spits on the ground, “A most dastardly deed, indeed, and a crime worthy of serious punishment.” With teeth gritted he growls, “What say you to this charge? Do you have anything to say in your defense?”