Prelude: Many Meetings

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Journey South, March 18th

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:56 pm

He smiles at the offer a pony and supplies. "Now that's a fair trade."

He then listens to the rest about Vara. "Vara and I know what happened. If he wants to even up, I'll take it. Come on, I deserve it." Nalir stands there and Vara pushes out from behind the group. "Damn right you deserve it. You know that Ranger and his cronies came looking for me, nearly beat me up worse than you did!" He then hauls off and clocks Nalir in the jaw knocking the dwarf down into the dirt.

Laying there Nalir laughs, "Well that hurt." He spits out some blood, but then he laughs as Vara is shaking his fist and holding his hurt hand.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:43 pm

Bláin looks on at the brief fracas unamused. He walks between the two and says, “Tell me Vara, does this meet your satisfaction or is some other recompense required? Speak now so that we can put this to rest and turn to the matter of the rumor of Fundin’s lost colony.”

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:39 pm

Vara is shaking his hand, "Almost, he doesn't deserve one of our ponies. Let him bear his burden on his back once he tells us more."

Nalir sneers but pushes himself back to his feet. "You never could let go of a grudge. Fine! I don't need your pony Vara." He turns back to Blain, "You want to know more, I'll you who you need to speak to. Aravule is his name, he's a Ranger from the north, has a small company with him -- two of my companions even have remained with him, why I don't know. He has a old warrior at his side, Halleth, a Hobbit from the Shire of Hartely, he's a good sod and a nice fellow. I feel bad he's mixed up in this with Aravule. Then there are the elves, Aerondil and Telurin, but I think only Telruin has remained at his side. They have set up shop in the old prison on the south bank of the river. You'll have to rent a ferry boat and cross. I suggest you just pay the various tolls till you get into Tharbad proper. Not paying the tolls means a fight, and drawing the ire of the the Man on the Isle."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:06 pm

Bláin’s listens intently as Nalir tell of a what sounds to him like a rather rag-tag group. His nose wrinkles at the mention of elves as if he has just smelled something unpleasant. After Nalir finishes, Bláin thanks him. “Well that is all very interesting and curious. Thank you for aiding us.” He then queries him, “But answer me these two things, Nalir and we will let you on your way…Why would this Ranger Aravule and his company want with the maps and the letter of my grandfather? I don’t understand what value they would hold for those not Khazad. And who is this Man of the Isle you speak of? Is that the ‘Him’ you were alluding to earlier; the one who showed you the map and such?”

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:00 pm

"Because it was Aravule gold, that's why. I had to buy those maps and letters, and it wasn't cheap. So I took what I needed from Vara, who was holding that Ranger's gold. I spent most of the gold on supplies, the maps, the letters, and men for an expedition to the White Mountains. Aravule bested me, threw me in his prison over the winter, and let me go a few days ago. Said we were square, if he kept the supplies and maps." Nalir adjusts his nose, wincing hard as the pain is pretty bad. "Him? He? The Man on the Isle. All the same person. He's no one to mess with, he owns Tharbad, if there is a criminal doing something, its likely because he said so. He's... well he's not your normal sort. Don't mess with him, keep your head down, and you might escape with your beard intact." He tightens his belt and then takes what supplies you promised him. "Good luck, you're going to need it."

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:16 pm

Bláin bids Nalir farewell without much ceremony. He turns to Vara and the rest of his small band of dwarves and say, “Well, it looks like our business with Nalir is over but now we have business in Tharbad with Aravule and his people. Seeing that he has lost all his coin, perhaps he will trade us those maps and letters for some that we have. And perhaps should we acquire them; we can carry out what Nalir was not capable of doing--finding the Lost Colony of Fundin. By Durin’s beard I pray that it goes well.”
I’m assuming our next stop is Tharbad’s gates as we did our Travel already

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Gates of Tharbad, March 20th

Post by Vardaen » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:13 pm

Did I really miss posting here since last Thursday? Wow sorry.
Vara nods.

The group moves on down the road....

A few days pass and the dwarven group reaches the edge of Tharbad. Early in the day on March 20th, under a haze of cool sea breezes that have blown up the Greyflood the greatest Dúnedain city in Cardolan comes into view. Once, this was a haven of Núemenor in Middle-earth, now it is ancient ruins and a den of thieves and bandits. By the end of the Second Age the regions around Tharbad had been almost totally deforested by the shipbuilding programs of the Númenóreans and Gondorians, this rendering the hills and plains around a wasteland. Since then the land has reclaimed itself making the region a classic mid-latitude grassland, with a few pockets of woodlands such as the Eryn Vorn to the south.

Fifty years ago a great flood wrecked the bridge and engulfed the surrounding fields, turning the entire region into one enormous swamp dotted with crumbling buildings atop dwindling mounds. The great bridge finally collapsed and its foundations are what remains of that great work of the Númenórean kings of old, gigantic stones that jut out of the waters of the largest marshlands of Eriador.

The wild fens around Tharbad are teeming with all manner of birds and beasts. Great birds, long of leg and with sweeping beaks sit upon the shores of the Greyflood and pluck the fish from the waters as they swim by. Swans, white and fair, still nest in the lower reaches of the river for which they are named, the Swanfleet. Great hares build burrows in the few rising mounds that dot the landscape while the low song of smaller birds can be heard in spring. Of late great black crows have been seen moving in large flocks from Dunland across the river. These crebain build great nests in the few stone ruins of Tharbad and drive out all other creatures.

As shadows lengthen you look at the ruins a few miles off and plan your course.
The dates are all off, but the map it still good.

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:54 pm

Bláin stares at the ruins of Tharbad in relative disbelief at the notion that people actually inhabit such a place of decay. “I can see why Nalir wishes not to return to this place!” Bláin exclaims to his party. He pauses and continues “Well, perhaps we can find lodgings a fair bit better than simply sleeping outdoors. Come, we must make haste as the sun is setting. We have been forewarned that there are those who ‘guard’ the gate there and we must be prepared to pay their fee. I’m certainly glad we came with purses full in the case of such ‘tolls’. Remember, when we are asked about what business we have in Tharbad, we should simply tell them that we are only here to rest for a while before continuing south on business.”

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:00 pm

Vara and the others understand, and will leave the conversation to Blain.

It doesn't take long from here to find the gate house that leads into Tharbad. A dozen men, armed with spears and hunting bows mill about the ruined structure of the once proud stone gate. One of them steps forward, hand up, 'Hold on 'here. What business do you have in Tharbad, and can yea pay the toll? A silver farthing each."

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:45 pm

Bláin stops when commanded. He steps a few feet forward from the group, saying, “Hail, gate keeper. I am Bláin, son of Balin. My company and I are weary travelers on the North-South road from the Blue Moutains and on our way south for business and trade. We seek relief from the road long enough to continue our sojourn from here.” Pulling twelve silver coins from his pouch and presenting them he continues, “And for such an opportunity to rest for a bit we would gladly pay your toll.”

“And tell me, master of the gate, where might folks like ourselves find a good bed this eve?”