Book 2: Chapter 1 - The Hills of Dunland

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Book 2: Chapter 1 - The Hills of Dunland

Post by Boronind » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:04 pm

Blain and the others bow deeply with the customary introduction of name followed by the polite, "At your service!" expression. They then follow the caravan of folks as they process.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:08 pm

Telurin nods, as if to thank to woman and to let her go without further questions.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:18 am

Aravule is pleased to have Hartley introduce himself and his people, for what it was worth. The old lady seemed learned and that was a good thing. And yet, he still did not trust them. The turns to the dwarfs and asks, "Will one or two of you stay with our supplies? I'd rather not be robbed before we even begin." His words are said with a hushed tone after the old crone departs.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:15 pm

Balwain shrugs to Aravule, "Looks like we won't have to worry too much about that Aravule, but sure."

The Dunlending motions for you to follow him across the square to the large building. Cledwyn is the man's name and he leads you to the building, "Here we are, you can use this Leuwen said." Pushing the door open you see its just a long empty chamber with a fire pit in the middle, a hole in the ceiling. There is a post our front to hitch your ponies too, and the whole place is large enough for everyone to use, and big enough to put your trade goods in, even to lay them out if you wanted to set up shop. Its just one big empty building basically.

So the dwarves set to work, unloading the goods, tending the horses, and otherwise getting your "camp" inside the hall set and ready.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:21 pm

Telurin thanks the Dwarves, then turns.
"Let us go have a look around. We can talk to the Chief, and let them know of our desire to trade."
The Elf still carries the gift of the candles & holder in his pocket.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:18 pm

I'm done with my retreat, but I'm still traveling and with poorer internet access than I expected, so expect my posting to be slow.
Halleth says softly to Telurin, "I believe the Lady Leuwen said the chief was away. We don't know where he is or why he's out, so I don't think we ought to assume he'll be back any time soon. We could ask when he'll be back, but they might take that amiss--it could seem like we're gathering intelligence to attack the town. We can present the gifts to the Lady Leuwen, who seems to be in charge in her son's absence and highly regarded."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:59 am

"That might be reasonable," Aravule agrees with Halleth. "Let us wait until we see her again and ask. We do not want to be waiting her more than a day, I hope." The ranger looks about and nods, happy with their lodgings. "They will want us to pay for this. I am not sure what is fair." He shrugs, "I leave it up to anyone who wants to represent us in commerce here." Aravule clearly is allowing anyone else to step up and negotiate trade on their behalf. Likely, and political conversations he will lead, but trade, it seems far from his area of expertise, especially with a company of dwarfs.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:52 am

"I am willing to oversee this... though Blain ought to be my business partner. They will be far more used to trading with his folk, and he has a way with words..." Telurin looks to the Dwarf to see if he agrees.

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:00 pm

"Aye, Telurin, it seem altogether fit and proper that we should be involved in the negotiations. After all, these Dunlending folk seem to have a longstanding relationship with our folk. I would certainly like to know who did the fine handiwork we see here," Blain reflects as he strokes his beard.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Cledwyn, the Dunlending who opened the building up for you lingers around outside keeping an eye on you as you unpack your things. Your group of dwarves chatter and talk about the trade, the stone walls, and other things like that as they set up the place to the fellowship's liking.

It is perhaps an hour or so when you spot Leuwen, with another woman, who is much younger, coming to the long house where you are. For the most part the locals have avoided you up to this point. The old woman heads inside with only a pat on the guard's shoulder. She strides into the place and takes a seat on one of the simple wooden benches there around the fire pit. "Well, I'm back. This here is Eira, one of our widows. She can help you with those meals and beer you asked about." The younger Dunlending woman smiles politely and then goes about her business to get a fire going, food prepared and ale brought to the building for you.

The chieftain's mother looks around at your set up, "Trade goods from the north have you? I have told some of our traders and craftsmen you are here, and you will want to do business. They are eager to deal with you. I won't stand for cheating or taking advantage of my folks, so if you deal fair, we will also. You try and cheat my people and I'll have you run out of here at spear point. That understood?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring