Book 2: Chapter 1 - The Hills of Dunland

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
HunterGreen
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Hunter

Dŵrgi's arrival

Post by HunterGreen » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:35 am

"I did not meet your chieftain, Hartley Sandheaver of Bree," Dŵrgi answers, offering a shallow bow in return. "I was not invited to the counsel Saruman kept with him. And I know not what tale the shapes on that piece of sheep's skin tell." She leans comfortably on her spear. "It is not mine to say where the river flows from, only to follow where it leads."
Join our Discord chat for TOR and AiME: https://discord.me/theonering

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Dŵrgi's arrival

Post by Boronind » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:30 pm

As is his manner, Bláin hold back before speaking to see how the initial interactions between strangers and others transpires; the other dwarves remain silent out of respect and protocol as well until Bláin has spoken first.

Though no one seems to notice, a large grin and twinkle in his eye appears on Bláin's face; though he holds back the urge to let out a guffaw of approval. To those who know him it is apparent that he immediately likes Dŵrgi for her gruff frankness, lack of being intimidated by other "bigger" people, and obvious independence of spirit.

Finally after all have spoken, save the Elf, he begins the customary and highly formulaic dwarf introduction which begins with a deep bow. "Bláin, son of Balin, at your service! We welcome you and honor your service given at the White Wizard's behest. From your visage and your account, you are no stranger to the threat of mortal peril and so your bravery will serve us well in our descent into the treacherous Darkness under the mountain. You and your spear are most welcome!"

He then nods to the others to introduce themselves in the likewise respectable manner.
I second the welcome to the game/story; you obviously have RP gifts. Please continue w/ the Welsh lessons. I have been reading Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising Series to my boys, which while not only being superb in its world building and story telling has a copious amount of Welsh in it, esp. the later books, most of which I find impossible to pronounce out loud.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Dŵrgi's arrival

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Great intros so far.

You can continue to add the spoilers for words that works nicely. You can also do the Spoiler for language In Character if you like. You can also, since several of the party speaks it, and we aren't so untrusting that people will play out of character, do something like this.

Dŵrgi says, "<Dunlending> You all need a shower!"

Its up to you.
The Dreudain chieftain and Sits with Fist have a conversation off to the side, the chieftain is obviously worried about this new arrival and Sits return to the Front Porch. They talk for a while, the other Pukel-men just stand there like stone with no reactions or interactions.

Then the gaggle of dwarves follow Blain's introduction. One by one they bow, offering their names and father's names, and their service to the small Dunlending woman. In order they are Dorin, Balwain, Oxdis, Skisdis, and Vara.

Vara comments to Telruin, "Well now with another spear you clearly don't need me. I'm going to stay behind out here with Airic and Balwain." He holds his hand up to Balwain, who despite his terrible wound from the battle in the valley has managed to stand and bow, then sit again. "Listen, Airic and Balwain are too wounded to take on this venture, you'll need speed, stealth and a strong arm. They can't do that in their conditions and someone should stay here with them. I will play Nursemaid, and frankly I've seen enough Darkness in the deep places of the world to last a life time, isnt' that right Halleth?" So any further debate about that comes to an end with a the stubbornness of a dwarf.

Halleth holds the letter from Aravule, and pops the seal, the seal is his, marked with another of Saruman the White and Isengard. This woman does appear to be what she claims, at least in this regard.
NPCs that will venture into the mountain are: Fundar, Dorin, Oxdis, Skisdis
NPCs that simply can't, are too wounded, or are smarter than the PCs: Airic, Balwain, Vara
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

HunterGreen
Level 2
Level 2

Dŵrgi's arrival

Post by HunterGreen » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:52 pm

Clearly sounding out the proper decorum as she goes, Dŵrgi returns bows to the dwarves one by one. Anyone can tell that she's making an effort to be courteous, because it's not her natural tendency. By the time the introductions are done, she's heard more words than she's spoken in her entire life, or so she imagines, but she holds a thin smile throughout. Whatever tutelage in civility she received at Orthanc must have been dearly bought.

Watching Halleth reading the letter out of the corner of one eye, she turns her attention to Bláin. "I was not told what service you might need of me," she says to him, "so I did not know what provisions to bring." Indeed, she clearly carries little: spear, bow and quiver on her back, a large hunting knife in one boot, and a rolled-up blanket that can't hold much more than a few basic bits of gear. "What is before us and what will I need for it?" Her voice now is eager to move past etiquette into action.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Dŵrgi's arrival

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:29 pm

An Elf stands nearby, tall, with blond hair that goes to just above his shoulders. He is clad in blue, though a clinking sound seems to indicate he wears a mail shirt. On his back are two spears, one large and one small, and on his neck is a chain with a small crystal framed by metal - it almost appears like a lamp, but seemed too small.

The Elf nods at Dŵrgi, the corner of his mouth in a bit of a wry smile, but his eyes are serious. He did not know if a woman should be joining them; though female Elves could certainly be fierce, Women Edain were not known for being warriors.

He knew next to nothing of the Dunlendings, and from Dŵrgi's appearance and the apparent journey she took, he instead replies to her question, "I am Telurin, and to answer, you do not need to bring much else, we have supplies at least for several days. We are going into the Mountain. A darkness waits there, having brought into madness the kin of Blain here, and there is a chance we will not be able to overcome it ourselves, and fall into the same fate as the Dwarves."

He hesitates, then continues, "It is, perhaps, a fool's errand. If you realize that you have no interest in coming, we shall not blame you. In fact, Vara might appreciate a guard with them, for Airic and Balwain are in no state to fight, and these hills are full of Orcs. Your service here would be appreciated. Yet as Halleth has said, if this is a risk you are willing to take, then your spear and more importantly, your courage, will be needed in the deep places, where there is no Sun."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Dŵrgi's arrival

Post by Muskrat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:43 pm

Halleth reads through the letter than tucks it away. He tells the others, "My liege Aravule says he is well and learning much in Isengard from Saruman. He claims that the white wizard is more a man of action than he appears and doesn't just stay squirreled up in that tower of his. After we finish this mission--if we finish it--he's asked me to return to him. It sounds like he has some ideas about how to deal with the Black Numenorean we left behind in Tharbad."

He turns to those remaining behind and says, "You've no obligation to do so, but if I should not return from this little trip, I'd count it a kindness if one of you would stop by Isengard to let my liege know what became of me."

He turns to the doors in the mountain and says, "Well, let's get on with this fool's errand, if that's what it is."

HunterGreen
Level 2
Level 2

Dŵrgi's arrival

Post by HunterGreen » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:46 pm

The Dunlending girl hadn't really noticed the elf until he drew attention to himself. Her eyes are wide for a moment, as she's never seen one before, but she recovers quickly. By this point she's shifting her weight from one leg to the other, and her hands fidget against themselves and her spear; this has been far too long to stand in one place. Even the sobering words the elf offers do not still her, but they do give her pause.

She is silent long moments, gazing up at the hillside, distant trees, the sky, listening to the wind, her many braids shifting with her swaying motions. When she speaks her eyes are still far away. "I have no wish to see the ground from below, it is true. I do not love the dark. But when you're far enough into the river, your only way out is the other side." One hand finds her nose; fingers trace its shape a moment, reminding herself of something, a past hurt or a future hope. Then the hand draws away as if repulsed by the unnatural shape. "I will fulfill my service to the White Wizard. If he thinks you will need me, there must be cause."

All that coiled energy in her fidgeting seems to sharpen at Halleth's words; she is still now, but like a predator choosing its moment to leap, she seems more full of motion in stillness than she had been in motion. Unthinkingly she moves towards where the eyes of others are directed as if assuming she will be in the vanguard, but only for a moment before she realizes her presumption and steps aside, awaiting some direction.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Door is Opened

Post by Vardaen » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:11 pm

It seems this new arrival has been eagerly accepted into the group, with credentials from Saruman AND Aravule how could she not. The conversation continues a moment or two longer but then the Dreudain Chieftain stomps his foot. "The time is here."

He looks to the door guards and they work the door, tapping in certain places, and speaking a few words. The door swings open on silent hinges. The entire mood on the Front Porch changes. Everyone can feel it -- darkness, shadow, death. It rolls out of the empty black space beyond the door like a wave of the ocean washing over each of you. The birds nearby stop chirping, and everyone, EVERYONE, is set uneasy and wary. Some of you doubt yourselves, and your purpose, are you really going in there with the door locked behind you?

After a long moment Aghan-buri-Mughan breaks the silence with the spark of flint on steel as he lights a torch for you. "Light is life in the darkness of this place. May you never run out of light."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

The Door is Opened

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:20 pm

Telurin takes a unlit torch and sets it against the one Aghan-buri-Mughan holds, adding light to the second torch. He hands one to Blain, knowing the Dwarves will do well underground. He holds the other, being a light-bearer was somewhat second nature to him.

Then he peers into the darkness. "There is nothing for it, but to put one foot in front of the other." He smiles, but inside he's wrestling with fear.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

The Door is Opened

Post by Wbweather » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:25 pm

Hartley struggles to swallow a growing lump in his throat, then says in a stiffed voice, "Let's get on with it. Time to see this journey to it's end." With that, he takes a torch himself and heads toward the dark mouth of the mountain.