Book 2: Chapter 1 - The Hills of Dunland

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Seosaidh
Level 3
Level 3

Aghan-buri-Mughan, the Chieftain of the Dreudain

Post by Seosaidh » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:41 am

Dubhthach listens carefully to the chieftain and then turns to his companions and repeats Aghan-buri-Mughan's words in clear Westron, translating the Dunlending and Rohirric speech.
“Do not despise the lore that has come down from distant years; for oft it may chance that old wives keep in memory word of things that once were needful for the wise to know.” ~ Celeborn, The Fellowship of the Ring

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:11 pm

As one who appreciates a good procession and Blain's face clearly expresses his admiration and respect for the Woses chieftain and his entourage; not only their similar stature to his people but the solemnity their procession reveals about dignity and pride as people who are not Tall and powerfull. It reminds him of his own kind and he immediately feel a sense of connection to these people, who like them, live close to the earth.

Though has been told Woses are not impressed by pomp and ceremony common to High Men and Elves, he nevertheless acts in the customs that his people since time immemorial have displayed.

Blain looks Aghan-buri-mughan directly in the eye as he intones, "I am Blain, son of Balin, son of Fundin." As he and the other dwarves bow deeply in unison to the chief and his guard, he continues, taking the deepest of breaths, "At your service. We, who are called by your people 'Stone Diggers,' have come to this place in search of my sire's sire and his companions who were lost for many seasons past after a great battle against the orcs, which you call Gorgûn, in which the battle was won but the losses were great. It was believed that he had perished there with others in his entourage but it has comes to light that they might not had fallen at the hands of the lowly minions of the Shadow that day but fled to these mountains in search of a new dwelling under the mountain. Now we, and our companions from other Free folk of Middle-Earth, have learn that such the rumor is indeed true, but that it has become not an occasion for joy but one of great sadness. For as we have been told by Sits with Stone Fists of the tale of what happened after their coming and how all turned bad on what you have called the 'Day of Blood' and the 'Great Darkness' that has descended upon them. Because we have come so far for so long, we seek to know more about their fate in order to know the truth better."

After his typically long address, he ends with a bow, and waits patiently for Aghan-buri-mughan reply.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:10 pm

Aghan-buri-mughan stands stone faced listening to Blain and his words. "I have no need for your service. Your people did come here. They did dig deep into the roots, and they brought the Great Darkness down on all those who live among the mountains. I have sealed their door, nothing comes up. Nothing goes in. Know your people are lost to you. They are one with the stone now, or one with the shadow. Either means they are not your people now. You have come a long way for nothing. I say to you turn back, go home, forget what they are. Remember what they were."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:14 pm

Telurin is not surprised at the Chief's answer. He expected his will would be as hard as stone, same as the statues they made. Nevertheless, he hoped they would get more than this.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:15 pm

Hartley steps up and bows deeply before the Drúedain chieftain. "Sir, I am Hartley Sandheaver, one of the people of the north who refer to ourselves as hobbits. I understand your concerns and your people's vigilance in keeping danger contained. However, I urge you to hear out this fine Dwarf. It is his father's father who came here long ago and who has fallen to whatever darkness lies within that mountain. Certainly you can understand the need to know what fate has befallen one's close kin. Long we have traveled and we are no strangers to danger. At least, let him speak more on the subject with you."
I will use courtesy to make this appeal.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:25 pm

The Chieftain looks down at Hartley, his face is hard to read, but there is a quizzical look in it. He does not know what to think of this hobbit. "A hobbit? The word rattles around in his mouth, he doesn't know what to think of Hartley that is clear. "Here I thought you to be a malformed child of the others. No, you are something else. Hobbit it is then if you call yourself that." He looks up at Blain, "The sins of a father are not the responsibilities of the son, but a son can certainly make up for them and regain their family's honor." He studies Blain and Hartley and the rest of you several long silent minutes.

"I will hear more from the Son's son."

Rolled:
Feat Die: 6*
Success Die: 6t,4,1
Totaling: 17 with 1 success
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:32 pm

Telurin looks at the Chief, then at Blain. "I give you my word as Elf sworn to Lord Elrond Half-elven, that no evil shall escape the bounds of that door, except that which is already bound up in the hearts of all Folk, and is brought in by us."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:42 pm

Telurin offers his word, but his phrasing is weird, mentioning evil hat they have with them in the hearts and the Chieftain shakes his head. "I want to hear from the the Son's Son more, not from some fork tongued elf from far away." He looks annoying at to Blain.
Persuade
-----------------------------
Rolled:
Feat Die: 1*
Success Die:
Totaling: 1

Failure

Boronind
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boronind » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:51 pm

After remaining silent for what seems like an Age of the World pondering the loss of his kinsfolk who once again have fallen to the darkness of their own avarice which seems to be their doom as the misbegotten children of their impatient Creator, Mahal, Blain offers his plea to Aghan-buri-mughan to allow him and his companions to enter the Mountain:

"Forgive my delay in responding to you, first among your peoples. It is not my intent to try your patience. You see, the grief of my heart still weighs heavily upon my head, not just in the loss of my father's father and his people but also in the knowledge that once again our people have become their worst enemies, perhaps even worse than our most hated ones, whom you call Gorgun.

With your permission, I beseech you to allow us to pass through the doors of the Mountain not just for the sake of learning the true fate of my kinfolk so that their memory maybe chronicled in song and tale as a caution to all future generations but for the reason that you yourself have made plain: to fulfill what is our responsibility, to make right what has gone wrong by first giving relieve to the dead that walk so that their spirits may rest in the Halls of our Maker and second ridding this Valley of the Darkness that has tainted it so many years ago. Should we succeed i this task it will be a boon for both your peoples of this land and ours faraway."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:14 pm

The Chieftain sits, like stone, like his others, as he listens to the dwarf, the son of sons, speak. He is more like Blain than Halleth, his people may be Men, but they are mightily of a different breed of Men.

"I would let none of these others in, Men and Elves and Him," he points at Hartley at the end there. "You are blood, cut of the same stone as those that went before. Can I stop a son from righting his father's mistake? No, not as surely as I cannot stop the rocks from falling from the mountain top."

He nods, "I shall let the door be opened so you may go inside. Take who you must, leave those who are wounded, or weak of spirit, or from soft lands. Right your father's father's wrong, but I can not open the door for you once you pass inside. If I do, the Darkness may escape, it may come with you, how can I know that you bring nothing out? It is up to you then, but decide now."