Book 2: Chapter 2 - The Lost Colony

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
HunterGreen
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Hunter

Three Days Later - Spirits Rise

Post by HunterGreen » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:51 pm

The rain may dampen the spirits of most, but Dŵrgi seems to relish it. Though a perceptive eye will note that the anger always simmering in her is not far hidden, during these days in the White Mountains she is friendly and cheerful, eager to help, and quick to smile. She gathers firewood, lends her spear to the hunt, carries water, and sets herself to the work of making and breaking camps, with nary a complaint nor frown. And sometimes she stands in an open space and looks up into the rain as if it were a blessing, letting it drip through her long braids and down her arms to pool at her feet.

When the question of the key comes up, she seems, somehow, as puzzled as anyone else. She draws out the steel rod from where it hides in her armor and holds it aloft. It doesn't really look like a key, just a rod some seven inches long, enscribed with certh she cannot read. If it hadn't been seen unlocking the colony's doors, one would think it an ornament, or perhaps an enchanted item of unknown purpose, but a key? Not without the customary handle at one end, and teeth at the other. She freely offers it to Blain, and anyone else who wishes to study it.

"I did not mention it because I knew not what it was, other than that it might be a means of opening something in the colony, and perhaps not even that," she explains. "The Wizard told me that he'd found it in the treasuries and thought it could have something to do with the colony, but even he did not know for sure. He bade me to offer it to the company when it were needed, but when I found you, the door was already open, and we did not find anything else it might unlock. And then..." Her countenance darkens as she falls silent in memories of drowning, defeat, humiliation, the cold of the grave. She snaps her eyes back into a focus. She says nothing of this, but all who were there to see it must know what is in her thoughts. "And after that, we were running. The first time it was needful, there was no time to discuss it, so I took what action I thought would serve the company best, and put it to use. We are blessed by the Wizard's wisdom that it was able to save us when we most needed it."

When everyone has seen the key who wishes to, she asks to have it returned to her, that she can return it to Saruman.
Though she won't resist or argue at all if one of the rest of the company thinks it better that they carry it henceforth.
Neither Dŵrgi nor I know what the runes read, or even what language they are in, if any, save that I assume they're angerthos certh.
Last edited by HunterGreen on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join our Discord chat for TOR and AiME: https://discord.me/theonering

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:35 pm

"Yes Dwirgi, how in the world did you manage to have a key to the door of that colony? That has been puzzling me since our escape." Hartley looks at the Dunlending woman. "Came in quite handy, for a certainty, but it seems a bit fortuitous."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:02 pm

Over the days they've traveled in their return to Isengard, Telurin has taken up his usual role of starting and tending the fire, taking his turns at night as a lookout, and chatting with Hartley. He always appreciated the halfling's ability to see the world cheerfully, and to laugh far more than complain at the the discomforts of the road.

He did not know the White Wizard well, but he was not surprised that he had found a key to open Dwarven doors. It was just as likely that the Dwarves of old had standardized their locks and keys for one another, and shared them among the Dwarven Houses, making it so that friends could come and go as they pleased.

Before Dwirgi could answer Hartley, Telurin shared this thought. "It's perhaps not true, but it reflects the friendship of those days. Maybe Blain would know better."

HunterGreen
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Hunter

Post by HunterGreen » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:10 pm

The question seems puzzling to Dŵrgi. That Saruman had the right key seems no more surprising to her than anything else a Wizard might do. If a bird landed on a branch over their fire, turned into a squirrel, and spoke to them in perfect Dunlendish of the Wizard's plans, that would not faze her. "He told me not, save that it was in the treasuries of Orthanc," she says. "I suppose you may ask him when we return."
Dŵrgi knows nothing about the history of Orthanc, so she can't bring it up, but remember that Isengard was originally a fortification of Gondor, when Calenardhon was a province of Gondor. Wonder if it might have been there even since then.
Join our Discord chat for TOR and AiME: https://discord.me/theonering

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:12 pm

Vara listens in and watches from the fire, he is eyeing the key.

Its Balwain however, who wounded, is grumpy and less happy for the trip along the road than most. "Why did he not give us this key when we spoke to him ourselves? Why send Dwirgi with it after the fact? I wonder."

Vara nods to Balwain's words, "I wonder too."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:02 pm

Halleth looks over the key carefully when he has the chance, comparing this dwarven artifact with those of Numenorean make he has seen. He hands it back over reluctantly.

In response to Blawain's question, Halleth, "Eh, I think it's clear enough--Saruman's just like Elrond, all wise and mighty, but too frightened to step outside the territory he controls. But he still needs to keep watch over and control everything. Oh, no doubt, he intended to help us as well, but he has to be in charge."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:14 pm

"When one is in Saruman's debt, then one cannot forget it," says Telurin. "And perhaps as I said, this key has more use than to open the door of just this one lost Dwarf-hold. Perhaps he feared that in the hands of a Dwarf, it would be too great of a temptation to go and open the door of Moria and reawaken the danger that is rumored to sleep there. As Dwirgi says, we should simply ask him when we arrive."
Last edited by Blubbo_Baggins on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seosaidh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Seosaidh » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:13 pm

Dubhthach looks sternly at Halleth: "Saruman is wise and mighty, and so we should not question his wisdom in choosing to give us this rod at the time that seemed fitting to him. But be careful whom you call a coward, for Saruman is certainly not a coward, although to those jealous of his wisdom and grace it may appear to be so."
“Do not despise the lore that has come down from distant years; for oft it may chance that old wives keep in memory word of things that once were needful for the wise to know.” ~ Celeborn, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:10 am

Halleth snorts in mirth and says, "Oh, I have no doubt that Saruman--and Elrond too--are wise and mighty and all, but if they're not cowards, why do they stay holed up in their sanctuaries instead of venturing forth to fight the good fight? I have much more respect for Gandalf--he maybe much more shabby than Saurman, but he wanders about, supporting the Rangers and protecting the lesser peoples like the hobbits and Breemen from dangers they can't possibly comprehend or stand up to."

Seosaidh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Seosaidh » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:04 am

Dubhthach looks angry, but he is used to unreasonable people, and so he keeps his mouth shut.
“Do not despise the lore that has come down from distant years; for oft it may chance that old wives keep in memory word of things that once were needful for the wise to know.” ~ Celeborn, The Fellowship of the Ring