Book 2: Chapter 2 - The Lost Colony

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Late Evening: Saruman the White

Post by Vardaen » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:10 pm

The wizard smirks, he stands up handing his mug to Hartley. "You will remain here, as my guests for now. Do not think the rules have slackened, you are confined here, do not wander the gardens or the walls. My guards will show you the limits of your access still. When ready I will summon you." The friendly old man is fading a bit, the stern task master is returning.

"I am most pleased that you have returned, mostly in one piece. I think we may do great good together, your company and I." He looks at Dubthatch and Dwrgi. "You two are free to return to your other duties and access as in previous times. Come to the Tower tomorrow for further instructions, both of you." He then reaches out to Dwrgi, palm out, waiting for her to give him the dwarf key back.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Seosaidh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Seosaidh » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:06 am

Dubhthach nods, and then gives Saruman a slight bow.
“Do not despise the lore that has come down from distant years; for oft it may chance that old wives keep in memory word of things that once were needful for the wise to know.” ~ Celeborn, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:13 pm

Telurin had been pleasantly surprised by Saruman's way with the company; his friendliness, his comfort, his wisdom... it reminded him of Gandalf (at least, what he remembered from his handful of interactions with the Grey Wizard). Seeing the sternness come out also surprised Telurin, for the friendliness had almost made him forget he was in charge of this impregnable fortress, with many who called him Lord.

Once Saruman steps out, Telurin follows and quietly peeks out the door. "Master Saruman, though we have not discussed it much, I myself am a smith, first under the tutelage of Ormal the Lampmaker, whose name you must know, and now under the smiths of Rivendell. If you may have time in these coming days, I would greatly appreciate being able to learn something from you."
Last edited by Blubbo_Baggins on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:37 pm

Halleth sits down and unrolls the scrolls from Aravule that Saruman gave him, reading them slowly and carefully.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:53 pm

Saruman stops a few paces from the door outside, the moon is low on the horizon and his white robes are silver in the bathing light. "Many would appreciate my tutelage, few could comprehend it." He looks at Telurin, and for the moment they are alone, and that is where the Wizard's Voice has its greatest power, "My wisdom is not given out freely to any traveler that comes knocking on the gates. There is a price for apprenticeship, prepared are you to pay it?" He looks deeply at Telurin, "Perhaps, perhaps you are. If time should so permit I will test you, and so test if my efforts of Craft are worth spending on you. I do not accept failure or slowness of wits, perhaps, one of your kind would be worth my energies. We shall see, we shall see!" He slips off then down the road and a cloud passes over the moon casting the White Wizard in shadow and he is gone.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:32 am

"Well, who can read the mind of a wizard?" Hartley says to no one in particular as Saruman takes his leave. Seemed down right personable at first and then suddenly aloof. There something about that old fellow, something powerful. I wouldn't want him as my enemy."

He goes to the keg of ale and refills his mug to help settle his mind as he ponders the ways of wizards.

Seosaidh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Seosaidh » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:16 am

Dubhthach nods in response to Hartley's comment, "Yes, Saruman is powerful and would make a formidable enemy. He can seem aloof, but I think it is because he recognizes his ability and his position as a Wise One. Yet despite that, he does still condescend to be friendly with those such as ourselves."
“Do not despise the lore that has come down from distant years; for oft it may chance that old wives keep in memory word of things that once were needful for the wise to know.” ~ Celeborn, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:12 pm

Telurin bows at Saruman's words, then turns inside when he leaves. "Well, that was a sudden shift in mood," the Elf says to the group.

"I think I'll join you," he adds to Hartley, getting a mug of ale for himself.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:02 pm

Halleth looks up from the scrolls he's reading. "Condescend to be friendly to us? I'll grant you the old man is wise and powerful. And he's got a better sense of humor than I credited him for. But that doesn't make him one of the Valar or of royal Numenorean blood or the like. He's not so much the better of us that he has any right to look down on us." He pauses, then adds slowly, "It seems like the old man knows that himself, given his good humor about my criticisms of him."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:31 pm

So the company remains here in Isengard for nearly a week without nary a second word or summons from the Wizard Saruman. Requests to tour the courtyard are denied, so too are requests to climb the walls or battlements. You are able to go freely out of the main gate however and into the vale. It is pleasing to walk along the River Isen and get out of the narrow confines of your accommodations, as nice as they may be. Halleth has been pondering the writings of Aravule for a time since opening the letters. Dwrgi and Dubthach both have had some things to do, and each has privately and separately spoken with the Wizard (who of course expects reports from his followers when they return here).

It is the sixth day since your arrival, you are well fed, and there is plenty of ale, but the local leaf leaves much for Hartley to desire, yet, despite all the coolness from the Tower's Master you feel welcome and comfortable here, it just is a sense you get, and perhaps in other places you'd be fare more restless and resentful, but not so here as the kind meeting still lingers and has a hold on you.

A week threatens to become longer...
So we are basically on that point where we flip from Adventure to Fellowship Phase. Is there anything left right now to handle or should I end things, and start the Fellowship Phase?