Book 2: Chapter 2 - The Lost Colony

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Late Evening: Saruman the White

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:24 pm

Just ran across this and thought I would share it here
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:03 pm

Halleth says emphatically, "Dudbthach and Dwrgi served with honor--they were valiant and steadfast. And Dwrgi's quick thinking may have saved us all from being trapped in the colony with the wights. The dwarves were stalwart, as you would expect dwarves to be--those died, died in a cave-in as we explored the place."

He pauses, then adds, "I was wondering Lord Saruman, about my liege Aravule. I had been hoping to see him, but one of your guards told me has already left and that I should ask you to learn more of him."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:37 pm

Saruman listens to the Ranger for a "From stone to stone, at least the dwarves are with their own now. Thought I would not want to go that way myself." He shows some sympathy to Blain and company that remain. "Aravule, yes, he desired greatly to return to Tharbad and deal with the Black Numenorian that has taken over there. I offered my council to him to remain, but he is strong willed, and would not stay. So instead of fighting against his nature I sent along some aid, a few guides, and plenty of supplies and wisdom to aid him in his task. He has promised to not do anything too brash, and to return here when he has word or need. I would not worry Halleth, he is not only strong of will, but strong in spirit, and in martial prowess. He will be fine."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:11 pm

Hartley get's up and grabs a mug off the table, fills it full of ale and brings it to the wizard.

"Here you are sir." He listens to what Telurin and Halleth say and adds, "Yes, Dudbthatch and Dwirgi were excellent companions and stood by our side through thick and thin. I'm not certain we would be here today, if not for them. The dwarves too. It was hard to lose those that we did. I feel as if I had a part in that. I caused the cave-in that took them. It was indeed a dark place, that colony. It saddens me to see how much evil has been brought about by the Shadow."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:23 pm

"And speaking of your help," adds Telurin, "How did you come by a Dwarven key, one that even worked for Fundin's secret colony?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:41 pm

"Death is unavoidable, worry not Hartley I doubt your companions blame you." He takes the mug and drinks some of it listens to a bit more of your tale. He turns to Teluin. "Now that is an interesting story. I came to me some time ago by a colleague of mine, perhaps you've heard of him, Gandalf the Grey. In his travels he came across plenty of traveling dwarves, and into his possession came this key. Being my proximity to the region we decided that I would take custody of the key in case it could be used. I had nearly forgotten all about it, and had I remembered while you were here I would have sent it along with you. Luckily I did remember it, even late, it seems, and so I sent Dwirgi with it to find you hoping it might aid you. I appears that I made the right choice."

He smiles at Dwirgi, "You did a fine job, and I appreciate it as much as they do."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:57 pm

Halleth nods and says to Saruman, "Thank you. I am glad to know that my liege is not alone in that evil city. I will go to rejoin him as soon as I can."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:00 pm

"Now now hold on a moment Halleth." Saruman has a sly look on his face, "Your Liege left some scrolls for you, instructions I think perhaps tasks, he mentioned them to me and left them in my care to give to you in case you did return here. I have not read them of course, but we spoke briefly on the matter. In addition to that, I may have need of your skills. I find myself at times too cooped up here in this Tower, unable to get out and do the things I must, so I have taken to working through agents, much like yourselves to get done what must be done. I would hate for anyone to every think I just sit around in my tower doing nothing with all this Trust I was given."

Seosaidh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Seosaidh » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:50 am

Dubhthach nods when Saruman mentions Dwrgi, "Yes, she proved most valiant and helpful, and it was good to be joined by another of my people."

As the conversation moves on, Dubhthach smirks a bit at Saruman's insight into Halleth's strange notions of cowardice and laziness.
“Do not despise the lore that has come down from distant years; for oft it may chance that old wives keep in memory word of things that once were needful for the wise to know.” ~ Celeborn, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:59 pm

Halleth peers at Saruman suspiciously, then roars with laughter. "I should have figured you'd have ears everywhere." He grins at the wizard. "You're not a bad one, old man. Perhaps I didn't take your measure rightly. Anyway, let me see what my liege instructs me to do. As for doing things for you--well, if it's consistent with the instructions of my liege and will help me in my quest to recover the lost lore and artifacts of the Dunedain, I'll consider it."